Convert hot water heater from propane to electric/propane

Stove, cooktop, refrigerator, microwave, icemaker, etc.
chuckster

Convert hot water heater from propane to electric/propane

Post by chuckster »

Hello all,

I am considering swapping a propane-only HWH to an electric/propane model and wanted to ping you folks to get a feel for the level of effort and skill needed to do so. I have a '01 Zanzi 3646 with a Suburban SW10 D currently. While not using the coach heavily yet, I plan to go 50% time in the coach in the next year or two with "boondocking" being the rarer case. My thoughts are that maybe its not worth it due to cost and effort while weighing the fairly low cost but inconvenience of propane fills.

Would love to hear some opinions and those who might have done this upgrade.

Thanks!
Chuck & Mitzi
'01 Safari Zanzibar 3646 (side entry)
Cat 3126B / Allison MD3060
Magnum M-Series "Blue Max" chassis
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland toad
05wingrider

Re: Convert hot water heater from propane to electric/propane

Post by 05wingrider »

Chuck, The hardest part (in my mind since I did the same years ago to a class C) is finding a source of 110 power and figuring out how you are going to put a switch in the circuit if that's the option you want to have. The actual tanks are exactly the same dimension, and the hookups are the same, just the added 110 power wires.
The previous owner of mine converted over to a dual power unit and went cheap - as in he put a 12' piece of romex onto the wires for that circuit with a cord end and usually just plugged it into the 110 outlet on a power pedestal. I ran a new wire and put a switch inline from my power panel down to where my hot water tank is and cleaned it all up, so now all I've got is a guarded switch (so that I don't turn it on by mistake when the tank is empty), plus on the back side of the tanks there is a switch there to turn on the element (I don't use it since I have switched power, but a lot of people do - to each their own).
As far as cost goes, you have to decide what you want, truthfully. I only have a 6 gallon tank, so I use both gas and electric for our water for showers (the rest of the time I leave it on strictly electric if we are connected). Our boondocking is few and far between since the wife likes to have the comforts of power and water when we go out, so our gas is used for those roadside stops and the likes normally.
Duane
96 Sahara 30', 250hp Cat 3126
Allison 6spd MD-3060
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk "Toad"
Spokane WA
stuplich@ymail.com

Post by stuplich@ymail.com »

chuckster wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:31 am Hello all,
I am considering swapping a propane-only HWH to an electric/propane model and wanted to ping you folks to get a feel for the level of effort and skill needed to do so. I have a '01 Zanzi 3646 with a Suburban SW10 D currently. While not using the coach heavily yet, I plan to go 50% time in the coach in the next year or two with "boondocking" being the rarer case. My thoughts are that maybe its not worth it due to cost and effort while weighing the fairly low cost but inconvenience of propane fills.
Thanks!
Chuckster
My Suburban SW10 D uses very little propane if/when it's CONTINUOUSLY ON for 3-4 months.

IMO you answered your own question: "Not worth it.
Mel
'96 Sahara 3530, mine since '01
250 hp 3126 Cat, MD3060 Allison
chuckster

Post by chuckster »

stuplich@ymail.com wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:11 pm
chuckster wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:31 am Hello all,
Thanks!
Chuckster
My Suburban SW10 D uses very little propane if/when it's CONTINUOUSLY ON for 3-4 months.

IMO you answered your own question: "Not worth it.
I suppose they must be pretty well insulated then. Thanks for the opinion! :D
Chuck & Mitzi
TDJohn

Post by TDJohn »

Chuck,

I could be wrong, but I vaguely remember that they might have made an adapter kit to add electric heating to the gas hot water heater. Might be worth looking into. FYI, my propane heater does not take much fuel to run either.
John
'95 Serengeti, Cummins C8.3-300
Allison 6spd.
chuckster

Post by chuckster »

I wonder how this could be accomplished? Seems like electric heater coils hard to add around tank? Dunno.
Chuck & Mitzi
stuplich@ymail.com

chuckster wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:37 pm I wonder how this could be accomplished? Seems like electric heater coils hard to add around tank? Dunno.
chuckster
With a HottRod kit.

See how to videos here: https://tinyurl.com/y6pk9jxp
Mel
05wingrider

Post by 05wingrider »

chuckster wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:37 pm I wonder how this could be accomplished? Seems like electric heater coils hard to add around tank? Dunno.
Chuck, The bad thing about doing the HottRod kit (or any others like it) is that it replaces the anode rod (which is a bad thing in my experience). I filter all water that goes into my rig, regardless where we are at, and even then we ruin an anode rod every year from it corroding (as it's designed to). You take that out of the equation, and the tank is now the easy target for corrosion. Just my .02
Duane
96 Sahara 30', 250hp Cat 3126
Allison 6spd MD-3060
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk "Toad"
Spokane WA
stuplich@ymail.com

05wingrider wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:48 pm
Chuck, The bad thing about doing the HottRod kit (or any others like it) is that it replaces the anode rod (which is a bad thing in my experience). I filter all water that goes into my rig, regardless where we are at, and even then we ruin an anode rod every year from it corroding (as it's designed to). You take that out of the equation, and the tank is now the easy target for corrosion. Just my .02
Concerns about the Anode Rod with a HottRod kit?
Read this: http://www.casitaclub.com/forums/topic/ ... er-heater/
Mel
Moonwink

Post by Moonwink »

https://manuals.heartlandowners.org/man ... 20V1.3.pdf

I found this helpful PDF covering Suburban water heaters produced by The Heartland Owners." It shows a plug for the electric element to the left of the drain plug/anode rod. I'd be surprised if all the water heater tanks didn't come ready for an electric element. If that's the case, isn't there some way of upgrading a non-electric Suburban water heater to electric?
Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'15 Malibu 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System