Seaward Model 2273 with Sourdillon Burner won't stay lit!

Stove, cooktop, refrigerator, microwave, icemaker, etc.
ccastle

Seaward Model 2273 with Sourdillon Burner won't stay lit!

Post by ccastle »

I recently purchased a 1998 Safari Sahara with this two burner stove installed. Unfortunately one burner would not stay lit and the other only occasionally stayed lit. They would lite just fine when the know was depressed and you could hear the ignitor working. However, when you released the know, the fire would go out.

I assumed this was probably a defective thermocouple so I started on a search for a replacement thermocouple. Unfortunately, I discovered this part was no longer manufactured. However, in my search I found the website for Sure Marine Service in Seattle which listed a few parts for this cook top. My next attempt was to call them and speak with a technician and find out what my options were.

https://www.suremarineservice.com/Galle ... on-Burner/

I receive a call back from Graham to said that unless the thermocouple is physically broken, it is unlikely highly unlikely it had failed and there was probably another issue. After listening to my description he suggested the following:

Below the knob for each burner is a small plastic washer. He said to add another washer so the knob would press down further and this often solved this problem. I admit, I was a little skeptical of this solution, but figured, why not spend a few pennies on a couple of washers. I removed the knob, took off the washer, and a quick trip to my local ACE Hardware and replaced original washer with an extra and tried it out! Guess what! It worked!

Thanks to Graham for the hint and forgive me from being skeptical! He did say, if this cure doesn't work, give me a call back and we'll see what we can do.

Sure Marine Service Inc., 5320 28th Ave NW, Seattle, WA 98102 206-784-9903
Chuck, KD7UA
1998 Safari Sahara 3506 (since 9/2020)
Cat/Allison
1Lotosrggp

Re: Seaward Model 2273 with Sourdillon Burner won't stay lit!

Post by 1Lotosrggp »

If your thermocouple is the problem take it out and polish the end with a crisp dollar bill. Sounds strange but it worked for me on the heater element in our first motor homes air conditioner. A friend showed me the trick, it was still working five years later when I sold it.
Tom
97 Sahara 3550
3126 CAT 300hp
astrnmrtom

Post by astrnmrtom »

Great piece of information. Thanks for sharing.
Tom and Pris Masterson, w/ Buddy the 18 year old Siamese cat.
1998 Serengeti 3706
300hp Cat 3126, Allison 3060
900 Watts of Solar
17cf, Fisher & Paykel residential Refrigerator
Dragging four telescopes around the US seeking dark skies.
ccastle

Post by ccastle »

1Lotosrggp wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:43 pm If your thermocouple is the problem take it out and polish the end with a crisp dollar bill. Sounds strange but it worked for me on the heater element in our first motor homes air conditioner. A friend showed me the trick, it was still working five years later when I sold it.
Interesting Tom! I'll have to give that a try too! :)
Chuck, KD7UA
1998 Safari Sahara 3506 (since 9/2020)
Cat/Allison