Grill grates have an odd "dip" in them

Stove, cooktop, refrigerator, microwave, icemaker, etc.
chuckster

Grill grates have an odd "dip" in them

Post by chuckster »

My '01 Zanzy 3646 has an Atwood "High Output" propane cooktop that has dips in the grates and some pans do not want to sit flat without futzing with the positioning of the pan bottom in order to get some pans flat and level so they will cook evenly and without oil and such from rolling to one side of the pan. It was "designed" this way in that no harm has caused this. This is unacceptable though to my wife and I may need to look for another cooktop that is an exact fit/replacement in size as I don't want to modify the existing countertop or cabinet it sits on.

Anyone have a replacement recommendation? This is 21" x 21" and throws a nice size flame out all three burners at the same time so I want to replace with a like cooktop.

Best,
Chuck & Mitzi
'01 Safari Zanzibar 3646 (side entry)
Cat 3126B / Allison MD3060
Magnum M-Series "Blue Max" chassis
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland toad
TDJohn

Re: Grill grates have an odd "dip" in them

Post by TDJohn »

Maybe the grates warped over time from the heat of the high output burners???

Consider calling Atwood and seeing if they have replacement grates or if they make a cook top that has the same dimensions as yours does. Try other brands like Gagennue, and Suburban.
John
'95 Serengeti, Cummins C8.3-300
Allison 6spd.
chuckster

Re: Grill grates have an odd "dip" in them

Post by chuckster »

TDJohn wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:07 pm Maybe the grates warped over time from the heat of the high output burners???

Consider calling Atwood and seeing if they have replacement grates or if they make a cook top that has the same dimensions as yours does. Try other brands like Gagennue, and Suburban.
No, they definitely are “dips” placed there by design although I don’t know why they wouldn’t make them perfectly level but in either event it’s a very thick heavy iron so it didn’t warp from small propane flame.

Thanks for the suggestions John and I will look into all of those.

Happy trails,
Chuck & Mitzi
'01 Safari Zanzibar 3646 (side entry)
Cat 3126B / Allison MD3060
Magnum M-Series "Blue Max" chassis
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland toad