with propane gas off, turn all appliances off when traveling

Stove, cooktop, refrigerator, microwave, icemaker, etc.
geantbrun

with propane gas off, turn all appliances off when traveling

Post by geantbrun »

Hi,
I was reading on the eternal subject about turning on or off propane while driving. Here they say :
Remember to turn all appliances off when traveling. Most use an electric ignition that can create a spark and trigger an explosion if there is a break in the propane line.
So they say to turn off the gas and *also* to turn off the fridge? Is it correct? Is there something else that I should turn off? Water heater?

Thanks
Patrick
Safari Sahara 96
Moonwink

Re: with propane gas off, turn all appliances off when traveling

Post by Moonwink »

Mac The Fire Guy used to travel the country giving fire safety classes at RV rallies. He's left us with a legacy of YouTube videos that explain the hazards of RV fires - one of them is linked to on the webpage you referenced in your post - https://youtu.be/HJMTQWWoMSw

He explains in the video there are 4 appliances that use propane - the refrigerator, the furnace, the water heater and the stove. The only one that many leave on while traveling is the refrigerator. Unless you're opening the door several times, it can maintain a cool enough temp while you're driving for several hours. The danger in leaving the propane on is in the event of a crash or even a blown tire, the pipes that distribute the propane can be damaged and leak. Propane by it's very nature is explosive at worst and an extreme fire hazard at the least. If you're safety conscience, turn off your appliances and the outlet valve on the propane tank when traveling.
Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'15 Malibu 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System
wolfe10

Post by wolfe10 »

Everyone has to weight the "RISK/REWARD" for propane on while traveling along all other decisions. Let's face it, driving in your motorhome or even car is more of a "risk" than staying at home.

If we are traveling for more than 2 hours or so, I view the risk of food poisoning from over-temp in the refrigerator as a higher risk that leaving propane on. Same for traveling in sub-freezing temperatures. The use of the furnace outweighs the risk of leaving propane on.

Those are both within my risk tolerance. Your may certainly be different.

BTW, a complete break in a propane line will NOT cause a massive propane leak. Your tank is fit with an "Excess flow valve safety device" that prevents the flow of propane if excessive flow is demanded.

When refueling (where either you or more likely the guy on his phone texting filling up his gas vehicle next to you) you want all propane appliances OFF. No, not necessary to shut off propane at the tank. But your propane devices have SPARK IGNITORS and if their PC board turns them on, you have an ignition source for that other guy's spill. Having the propane turned off at the tank actually leads to MORE SPARKING as that refrigerator or furnace continues to try to light.

The only place I am aware of that requires that propane be shut off at the tank is in tunnels and other very restricted areas.
Brett and Dianne Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'. Ex 1997 Safari Sahara. Ex 1993 Foretravel U240
Moderator, FMCA Forums 2009-2020
Chairman, FMCA Technical Advisory Committee 2011- 2020
Moderator, http://www.dieselrvclub.org/ (FMCA chapter) 2002-
geantbrun

Post by geantbrun »

Thank you Don and Brett for your answers.
Regards
Patrick
Safari Sahara 96
stuplich@ymail.com

Post by stuplich@ymail.com »

geantbrun wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:40 pm Hi,
I was reading on the eternal subject about turning on or off propane while driving. Here they say :
Remember to turn all appliances off when traveling. Most use an electric ignition that can create a spark and trigger an explosion if there is a break in the propane line.
So they say to turn off the gas and *also* to turn off the fridge? Is it correct? Is there something else that I should turn off? Water heater?

Thanks
Patrick
Safari Sahara 96
Patrick
Normally I travel with BOTH propane valves open and the refrigerator operating...(also the furnace and/or the generator & roof air, ( depending on the outside temperature).
Mel
'96 Sahara 3530, mine since '01
250 hp 3126 Cat, MD3060 Allison
geantbrun

Post by geantbrun »

Thank you Mel too. What are these TWO propane valves? I mean, what is the function of the second one?
Other question because I know that you and I have the same model of coach (Sahara 96): do you still have your original Norcold fridge? If yes, is it a 682? If no, what model do you have now?
Patrick
Safari Sahara 96
05wingrider

Post by 05wingrider »

Patrick,
I can't answer for Mel's fridge, but I can chime in about the two valves. One is vapor that normally has a regulator right in that immediate area (fridge, furnace and stove top burners run off this valve), and the other is liquid that runs back to your generator where there's another small regulator for it exclusively.
Duane
96 Sahara 30', 250hp Cat 3126
Allison 6spd MD-3060
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk "Toad"
Spokane WA
geantbrun

Post by geantbrun »

Thanks Duane for the explanations!
Patrick
Safara Sahara 96
stuplich@ymail.com

Post by stuplich@ymail.com »

geantbrun wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:49 pm Thank you Mel too. What are these TWO propane valves? I mean, what is the function of the second one?
Other question because I know that you and I have the same model of coach (Sahara 96): do you still have your original Norcold fridge? If yes, is it a 682? If no, what model do you have now?
Patrick
Safari Sahara 96
Patrick
1.) The uppermost propane valve supplies PROPANE IN VAPOR FORM, (through a 2 stage pressure regulator), to the fridge,stove, furnace and water heater
2,) The lower valve provides LIQUID PROPANE, (at full tank pressure), to the generator,
3.) I do.
4.) It is.
Mel
'96 Sahara 3530, mine since '01
250 hp 3126 Cat, MD3060 Allison