Norcold 682 to replace

Stove, cooktop, refrigerator, microwave, icemaker, etc.
geantbrun

Norcold 682 to replace

Post by geantbrun »

Hello
My Norcold fridge (I *think* that it's the 682 model but I'm not sure) seems to be at the end of its life. No more cold, on 110 or on propane. I think that after 25 years, it's time to replace it. I have the choice between a new RV fridge (they say that the Norcold NA8LXL is a replacement) or a residential fridge. I've read a lot these last 2 days about the relative merits of one vs the other but I would like to know what you think about the residential option. Cost seems to be the big factor in favor of the residential fridge of course + the smaller risk of fire (everyone has its own view about this risk). But questions remain, specifically:

- it's seems to be more difficult to install because it often needs some custom work to secure the unit, etc.
- ventilation; some say it can be a problem because residential fridges are not designed to reject the heat outside the coach like RV fridges
- use of the inverter can be a problem; I saw on some fridge notices that units should not be used with an inverter. Why? Because of the sine wave? BTW I have a Freedom 20 inverter/charger from Heart Interface which outputs a modified sine wave.
- connecting the unit to inverter can be difficult

I would like to hear you about these specific points and all others that should be considered to make the best decision.

Thank you in advance
Patrick
Safari Sahara 96
Norcold 682 (dimensions 2x5x2)
05wingrider

Re: Norcold 682 to replace

Post by 05wingrider »

Patrick,
I believe that there are some members here that upgraded to modern 12V fridges in their units, so that's an option to explore as well. Regarding your inverter, our older units are "modified sine wave" and aren't compatible with some modern electronics - thus why you see people saying that you will need to replace it with a pure sine wave inverter to prevent electrical problems. I think the driving factor for most is budget - how much you want to spend, how often are you really going to be using the unit, etc. Plus how much work it's going to be - some of it's easy, some of it is a little bit more complicated. Some of it (such as changing the wiring so that the circuit you want is on the inverter) can be a little bit more daunting, depending on your skillset, and again the budget involved

Hopefully someone will chime in with even more information for your consideration and to help you explore the different options out there.

I will give one personal observation - the previous owners of my rig upgraded to a newer fridge with an icemaker in it - I like it but won't say I love it since it's a huge space taken out of my freezer that can't be used for anything else. If it was up to me (and I love fresh ice with my water or soda) I'd forgo having an icemaker and buy a good countertop unit instead and just make the ice as I run low, put it into a ziploc and go from there and have the extra space available in my freezer. Just my .02.
Duane
96 Sahara 30', 250hp Cat 3126
Allison 6spd MD-3060
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk "Toad"
Spokane WA
stuplich@ymail.com

Post by stuplich@ymail.com »

05wingrider wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:42 pm I will give one personal observation - the previous owners of my rig upgraded to a newer fridge with an icemaker in it - I like it but won't say I love it since it's a huge space taken out of my freezer that can't be used for anything else. If it was up to me (and I love fresh ice with my water or soda) I'd forgo having an icemaker and buy a good countertop unit instead and just make the ice as I run low, put it into a ziploc and go from there and have the extra space available in my freezer. Just my .02.
Duane
Have you thought about removing that ice maker to free up the space?
Mel
'96 Sahara 3530, mine since '01
250 hp 3126 Cat, MD3060 Allison
05wingrider

Post by 05wingrider »

Mel,
I've been giving it more and more thought as to removing the unit, capping off the water supply line where it was added and remove the filter and such for it. We have vacation planned in September, and I'm going to take a good long look at it and decide which way we want to go with it. My energies up to this point were in getting our Jeep tow ready, and now that's done so I can look at other projects.
Duane
96 Sahara 30', 250hp Cat 3126
Allison 6spd MD-3060
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk "Toad"
Spokane WA