Painting fridge door panel inserts

Stove, cooktop, refrigerator, microwave, icemaker, etc.
chuckster

Painting fridge door panel inserts

Post by chuckster »

Has anyone painted their fridge door inserts? What did you use for paint? How do these come out or should I just mask them off and spray paint them after cleaning the surface real good?
Attachments
FF6BDE6C-A9DA-4950-B7F7-165D74669C43.jpeg
FF6BDE6C-A9DA-4950-B7F7-165D74669C43.jpeg (4.58 MiB) Viewed 7411 times
Chuck & Mitzi
'01 Safari Zanzibar 3646 (side entry)
Cat 3126B / Allison MD3060
Magnum M-Series "Blue Max" chassis
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland toad
2ontheroadplus1

Re: Painting fridge door panel inserts

Post by 2ontheroadplus1 »

Suggest you look at chalkboard paint, black. You can write and erase on the surface. Also can use chalk paint or milk paint. You dont want to use a spray paint. Spray paint throws fine paint particles in the air to land on everything.

Take a look online, You Tube for these kinds of paint and applications. Durable, cleans, etc Prep work is always important. Have fun!
chuckster

Post by chuckster »

2ontheroadplus1 wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:18 am Suggest you look at chalkboard paint, black. You can write and erase on the surface. Also can use chalk paint or milk paint. You dont want to use a spray paint. Spray paint throws fine paint particles in the air to land on everything.

Take a look online, You Tube for these kinds of paint and applications. Durable, cleans, etc Prep work is always important. Have fun!
I appreciate the advice. Don’t want chalkboard paint though. Doesn’t “go” with the new motif per the Boss. I am used to proper prep so that is not an issue. Just looking for durability and longevity.
Chuck & Mitzi
2ontheroadplus1

Post by 2ontheroadplus1 »

Chalk paint r Milk paint ( easier to apply) refers to the chemistry. It is durable and easy to apply and comes in tons of colors. Available in antique stores or Home Depot. Have fun!
JoeyD

Post by JoeyD »

Instead of painting, is there a laminate(Formica-type) style that might be an alternative?
When my children were young, I covered the panel inserts with shelf liner. It saved a lot of wear and tear on me more so than the door finish.
I eventually replaced the glossy inserts with a matte finish panel.
Stay safe
--JoeyD
'95 Safari Sahara 3530
Cummins 5.9
Conifer, CO.
chuckster

Post by chuckster »

2ontheroadplus1 wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 12:06 pm Chalk paint r Milk paint ( easier to apply) refers to the chemistry. It is durable and easy to apply and comes in tons of colors. Available in antique stores or Home Depot. Have fun!
Ah. Okay. Was thinking black chalkboard would be no bueno.
Chuck & Mitzi
chuckster

Post by chuckster »

JoeyD wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 6:05 pm Instead of painting, is there a laminate(Formica-type) style that might be an alternative?
When my children were young, I covered the panel inserts with shelf liner. It saved a lot of wear and tear on me more so than the door finish.
I eventually replaced the glossy inserts with a matte finish panel.
Maybe I’ll need to remove the fridge doors and slide the panel out, check the thickness and see what might fit in there.
Chuck & Mitzi