Refrigerator not working

Stove, cooktop, refrigerator, microwave, icemaker, etc.
chuckster

Refrigerator not working

Post by chuckster »

The RV has sat parked for the winter. I went to turn the refrigerator on 110V AC and the fridge is DEAD. No circuit breakers are tripped. I am not sure how to get to the rear of the fridge to check fuses. Surely I wouldn’t have to pull it out to get to them? Where does the 12V source to the fridge come from? I understand it has to have 12V for even the 110V circuit to work. It’s a Dometic NDR 1292 model.
Chuck & Mitzi
'01 Safari Zanzibar 3646 (side entry)
Cat 3126B / Allison MD3060
Magnum M-Series "Blue Max" chassis
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland toad
wolfe10

Re: Refrigerator not working

Post by wolfe10 »

Have you verified that your house batteries are at least 12VDC?
Brett and Dianne Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'. Ex 1997 Safari Sahara. Ex 1993 Foretravel U240
Moderator, FMCA Forums 2009-2020
Chairman, FMCA Technical Advisory Committee 2011- 2020
Moderator, http://www.dieselrvclub.org/ (FMCA chapter) 2002-
TDJohn

Post by TDJohn »

By your explanation, it is not really clear if you are having issues with the 12v side or the 120v side. If your refrigerator works on propane, then your issue is no power at the 120v outlet. That outlet is fed by the inverter circuit. There should be a sub panel with two circuit breakers somewhere in the bedroom, usually behind the TV. Also check and reset the push button breakers on the inverter itself.

If your refrigerator is not powering up on propane or the front panel is not powering up at all, then your issue is on the 12v dc side. Obviously check and make sure you coach battery bank is not dead. There is a 5 amp fuse that feeds power to the refrigerator, and that fuse is usually located in the bedroom dc fuse box. But I have heard one case where the fuse was hidden elsewhere, and I no longer recall where they finally located the fuse. There is also a low amp fuse located in the electronic board on the back side of the refrigerator.
John
'95 Serengeti, Cummins C8.3-300
Allison 6spd.
chuckster

Post by chuckster »

TDJohn wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 11:17 pm By your explanation, it is not really clear if you are having issues with the 12v side or the 120v side. If your refrigerator works on propane, then your issue is no power at the 120v outlet. That outlet is fed by the inverter circuit. There should be a sub panel with two circuit breakers somewhere in the bedroom, usually behind the TV. Also check and reset the push button breakers on the inverter itself.

If your refrigerator is not powering up on propane or the front panel is not powering up at all, then your issue is on the 12v dc side. Obviously check and make sure you coach battery bank is not dead. There is a 5 amp fuse that feeds power to the refrigerator, and that fuse is usually located in the bedroom dc fuse box. But I have heard one case where the fuse was hidden elsewhere, and I no longer recall where they finally located the fuse. There is also a low amp fuse located in the electronic board on the back side of the refrigerator.
Hi John,

The panel doesn’t even light up. What does the DC panel look like? I don’t think I’ve ever seen anything other than the breaker panel in the bedroom closet. I haven’t been hunting yet but will need to start chasing this down. The coach and house batteries are fine and are on a battery maintenance box.

Regards,
Chuck & Mitzi
chuckster

Post by chuckster »

wolfe10 wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 10:21 am Have you verified that your house batteries are at least 12VDC?
They’re good. Thanks, Brett.
Chuck & Mitzi
TDJohn

Post by TDJohn »

On my coach the 12v fuse panel that runs the 12v interior coach items, is located 90 degrees to the side of the 120v breaker panel. Yours might be different, but most of them are located right around the corner of the 120v breaker panel. Also, did you check your salesman switch? Being that you are remodeling, maybe you kicked it off accidentally?
John
Allison 6spd.
chuckster

Post by chuckster »

TDJohn wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 1:15 am On my coach the 12v fuse panel that runs the 12v interior coach items, is located 90 degrees to the side of the 120v breaker panel. Yours might be different, but most of them are located right around the corner of the 120v breaker panel. Also, did you check your salesman switch? Being that you are remodeling, maybe you kicked it off accidentally?
Here’s what I have on 90 degrees to the right of the breaker panel…fuses for 110v.
Attachments
IMG_3115.jpeg
IMG_3115.jpeg (3.11 MiB) Viewed 10602 times
IMG_3116.jpeg
IMG_3116.jpeg (3.87 MiB) Viewed 10602 times
Chuck & Mitzi
TDJohn

Post by TDJohn »

Check and see if any of those fuses are blown.

I know one Zanzibar owner who had the refrigerator and the bathroom fan on the same fuse, but it was not located in that fuse boxed that you have pictured, even they that is usually where the refrig fuse is located. I don't recall, but I think he finally found the fuse somewhere either in the engine bay or battery compartment, I forget. Worse case scenario, find a 12v source that is fed by the house batteries, tap off of that, installing a 5 amp inline fuse and run it to your refrigerator.

I assume that you checked for voltage at the refrigerator circuit board that is on the back side of your refrigerator?
John
Allison 6spd.
chuckster

Post by chuckster »

TDJohn wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 2:07 pm Check and see if any of those fuses are blown.

I know one Zanzibar owner who had the refrigerator and the bathroom fan on the same fuse, but it was not located in that fuse boxed that you have pictured, even they that is usually where the refrig fuse is located. I don't recall, but I think he finally found the fuse somewhere either in the engine bay or battery compartment, I forget. Worse case scenario, find a 12v source that is fed by the house batteries, tap off of that, installing a 5 amp inline fuse and run it to your refrigerator.

I assume that you checked for voltage at the refrigerator circuit board that is on the back side of your refrigerator?
Hi John,

All the fuses in the 12 V panel around the corner from the circuit breakers in the closet are good and there is 12 V through every single one. I got the cabinet in the bathroom apart and the panel inside there that is it the backside of the refrigerator off and the fuses in the refrigerator were good. I checked the 12 V source coming into the back panel terminal block on the refrigerator and there is no 12 V. There is no fuse in the line leading to that 12 V power block at the back of the refrigerator. The 12 v line is down under the floor somewhere. I can trace it and then it disappears into the rabbit hole, and no telling where it goes from there. It seems like the refrigerator is the only 12 V thing in the coach that is not working so I may just run a 12 V source from the motor battery with a 5 AMP fuse in line. I checked that the hot water heater igniter works and the propane floor heater as well. I am scratching my head on this one.
Chuck & Mitzi
chuckster

Post by chuckster »

Okay. Went through ALL 12v appliances, lights and exhaust vent fans. Everything working except reefer and exhaust fans in hallway and bathroom. Fuses in exhaust fans are working. Since these are out too, I need to chase this down. No sense running 12v to reefer if there are other things not working.
Chuck & Mitzi