ITR HURRICANE HEATER DIAGNOSIS and REPAIR

Furnace, air conditioning, thermostats, distribution.
Safaritoonces

Re: ITR HURRICANE HEATER DIAGNOSIS and REPAIR

Post by Safaritoonces »

Before buying anything I would strongly suggest you watch the maintenance videos on the ITR site
https://itrheat.com/support/training-videos/

It can get very expensive and discouraging getting the hurricane system repaired and supported by dealers.

All you may need to do is bleed the system for air, or clean the fuel nozzle, or clean the fuel filter and so on. None of which requires buying anything. Also you need to determine why the system is shutting down. It could be a faulty thermostat control, bad connection, controller board or weak resettable fuse. The starting point is to watch videos and do the basic maintenance, then look for faults. If you get an RV dealer to do the troubleshooting there is a high probability the person they assign will know no more than you, be less committed or interested than you and you will pay for their learning curve.
Robert and Bev Lewis
2000 Safari Continental, since 2017
3126B Cat, 330hp
MD3060 Allison
Bowen Island, BC

https://safaritoonces.org/
Safaritoonces

Post by Safaritoonces »

I read through your posts again.

I worked out the wiring connections for the thermostat and AC controls in order to change to a newer LCD controller. I haven't had time to create a post on this, but will send you what I have if you need it right away.

If you send me a message with your phone number we can arrange a phone call, I can step thru some of the basics I learned that you might find helpful.
Robert and Bev Lewis
2000 Safari Continental, since 2017
3126B Cat, 330hp
MD3060 Allison
Bowen Island, BC

https://safaritoonces.org/
TDJohn

Post by TDJohn »

wolfe10 wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 6:30 am Billy,

Completely off-topic, but have you checked your RIDE HEIGHT-- looks low in front? That can materially affect ride and handling as well as wear on suspension components.

If you need the "how to", PM me your e-mail and I can send you Ralph Andrew's write up on this.

Brett
Brett,

Actually the whole coach and Jeep is sloping down hill. It is very deceiving, but if you look closely the crease line at the bottom of the basement bin doors, lines up equally on the center hubs of both the front and left wheels. So his coach appears level front to back, I even put a small ruler on the photo to make sure my eyes were not playing tricks on me. :lol:
John
'95 Serengeti, Cummins C8.3-300
Allison 6spd.
wolfe10

Post by wolfe10 »

John,

You may be correct-- trying to determine ride height measurements from a picture is not exactly a science.

BUT, as important as it is and as easy as it is to check/measure, THAT is what I would suggest.

Brett
Brett and Dianne Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'. Ex 1997 Safari Sahara. Ex 1993 Foretravel U240
Moderator, FMCA Forums 2009-2020
Chairman, FMCA Technical Advisory Committee 2011- 2020
Moderator, http://www.dieselrvclub.org/ (FMCA chapter) 2002-
TDJohn

Post by TDJohn »

Brett,

I agree, it couldn't hurt to check ride height on a yearly basis, or when something looks off.
John
Allison 6spd.
john777

Post by john777 »

Initially I found out the "main" fuse was a 10A and should have been a 15A. Randy at ITR took my call and told me about the 15A. I had 3 previous 10A ones burn out.

Problem is still not fixed and ongoing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KJ5J4ObyFU
John in Sonoma CA
'00 Safari Serengeti Ivory 3706 Front Door
Cat 3126 330HP / Allison MD3060
Magnum Air Ride chassis
Owner since 5/2021
TDJohn

Post by TDJohn »

John,

These systems are very sensitive to air in the fuel, and is a common cause of flame outs like is seen in your video. Tighten any and all connections of the fuel supply line and bleed the system, see if this resolves your problem. The other common issue with our older coaches that many Safari owners are discovering is the fuel lines gets try rotted and develops a bunch of very smile hairline cracks in it. Under suction/vacuum small amounts of air seep into the line, and it is usually enough to put the Hurricane boiler into a tizzy.
John
Allison 6spd.
Safariowner

Post by Safariowner »

Just a quick question, you have plenty of fuel in the tank? The pick up in the tank is higher in the tank than the main fuel pick up for the engine. I have talked to some owners who claim that they need the tank at least half full or it sucks air.
Ed and Brenda
1999 4006 Continental
Ex: 1998 3706 Serengeti
Ex: 1993 33' Serengeti
john777

Post by john777 »

Safariowner wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 12:21 pm Just a quick question, you have plenty of fuel in the tank? The pick up in the tank is higher in the tank than the main fuel pick up for the engine. I have talked to some owners who claim that they need the tank at least half full or it sucks air.
Completely full.
John in Sonoma CA
'00 Safari Serengeti Ivory 3706 Front Door
Cat 3126 330HP / Allison MD3060
Magnum Air Ride chassis
Owner since 5/2021