Hurricane Thread from Facebook (Safari Motorhome Owners Group)

Furnace, air conditioning, thermostats, distribution.
Safaritoonces

Re: Hurricane Thread from Facebook (Safari Motorhome Owners Group)

Post by Safaritoonces »

John, I see your and Bills point on the heat exchange efficiency, I will bring this up with ITR. I can't check my system because I pulled the relay board to repair it, but will try the test when I can. I wonder if the main point of the engine heat is to have the engine exchange heat to the hot water system when the engine is running? Adding a pump wouldn't be hard but maybe a block heater would be just as good.
Robert and Bev Lewis
2000 Safari Continental, since 2017
3126B Cat, 330hp
MD3060 Allison
Bowen Island, BC

https://safaritoonces.org/
TDJohn

Post by TDJohn »

Safaritoonces wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:44 pm John, I see your and Bills point on the heat exchange efficiency, I will bring this up with ITR. I can't check my system because I pulled the relay board to repair it, but will try the test when I can. I wonder if the main point of the engine heat is to have the engine exchange heat to the hot water system when the engine is running? Adding a pump wouldn't be hard but maybe a block heater would be just as good.
Robert,

Of course that is what the engine heat is for. Why waste fuel to heat the hot water heater and the interior of the coach, when you are generating heat already.
This reminds me, on my last coach, the hot water heater was also heated by the engine coolant, but I don't know if it had an internal exchanger or an external copper coil that wrapped around the hot water heater tank. All I know is the water was very hot when you reached your destination. It also had an auxiliary heater at the foot of the bed that was heated by engine coolant. It put out some good heat when traveling down the road.

Adding a block heater is an option, but not an ideal one, especially if one likes to boondock a lot. It would take longer to heat the block using a block heater, and the generator would consume more fuel. Also, installing a pump would be much easier to splice into the existing heater hose without the need of draining the whole block, which you would need to do to install a block heater.
John
'95 Serengeti, Cummins C8.3-300
Allison 6spd.
fertooos

Post by fertooos »

It is too much text to read, sorry. Can you tell in a few words the main idea of that dialog? It would be good to read the description of the problem and then the possible solutions if they exist. I realize it is a lot of additional work for the author, but you will sure get more bonuses from your visitor. I mean your audience will be growing. Nowadays, people prefer simplicity and visual content.
Mark Cross

Post by Mark Cross »

:!: i have a 99 safari serengeti that i purchased a month ago and the previous owner replaced (what i call adjustable draglinks) on the differential and im assuming had no ideal on how to do so or that he did not measure the length of the old ones to adjust the new ones to that length prior to installing . So the problem im having is it is (what i call dog legging )when driving down the road. When looking through side mirrors the rear passenger side is near curbside white line and the front driverside is near center yellow line any help would be appreciated.
Thank you in advance
wolfe10

Post by wolfe10 »

Mark,

Please tell us what suspension you have and exactly where these "drag links" are located (from/to).
Brett and Dianne Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'. Ex 1997 Safari Sahara. Ex 1993 Foretravel U240
Moderator, FMCA Forums 2009-2020
Chairman, FMCA Technical Advisory Committee 2011- 2020
Moderator, http://www.dieselrvclub.org/ (FMCA chapter) 2002-
Mark Cross

Post by Mark Cross »

99 safari serengeti 40 dp magnum the adjustable draglinks are located left and right of differential
TDJohn

Post by TDJohn »

Mark,

Not to be a pain, but how does a chassis topic pertain to a Hurricane heating system thread?

Please consider re-posting your question in the chassis topic of the technical forum section and label the thread suspension drag links.

When Brett asked you what chassis you have? That means we need to know what suspension you have (air ride or torsional/VevetRide), and what Magnum series chassis it is. Pictures of the items in question would be very helpful. If you can, take some shots that shows the whole suspension, not just the part in question. This will allow us to see the type of setup you have and what is in question...

Also, it is very helpful if you include your coach's information in your signature. See my signature as an example.
John
'95 Serengeti, Cummins C8.3-300
Allison 6spd.