Dometic Penguin AC

Furnace, air conditioning, thermostats, distribution.
oldcobia

Dometic Penguin AC

Post by oldcobia »

I have the original Penguin AC on my coach. I’m considering adding the heating elements to them and wondering if anyone has had experience with them. Am planning to change to a better couch and my gas furnace is under mine now and in the way. Thanks
1995 Safari Sahara 35’ 5.9 Cummins MD3060
05wingrider

Re: Dometic Penguin AC

Post by 05wingrider »

The previous owner of my rig took the original couch out and put a fold out sleeper in, and the place doing it had to modify the frame of the couch to be able to fit around the furnace since it's not moveable. The couch frame had to be cut and new box tubing welded in to fit around the furnace body, and they commented when we bought it that it was quite a bit of work (ironically we never use the couch that way since there's only 2 of us - they had friends join them on a cross-country trip). I can go out and take pictures of it if you'd like to see what they had to do for mine to install the new couch.
Duane
96 Sahara 30', 250hp Cat 3126
Allison 6spd MD-3060
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk "Toad"
Spokane WA
oldcobia

Post by oldcobia »

Would appreciate it. I thought about modifying new couch also but wouldn't mind getting rid of heater anyway. Too loud and difficult to keep comfortable temperature. By the way, I have son who works for Redmond police dept. Been trying to get out there for a visit. Thanks
1995 Safari Sahara 35’ 5.9 Cummins MD3060
TDJohn

Post by TDJohn »

Something to keep in mind, the heating elements will generate 5120BTU each, at best, probably a bit less. Your furnace produces 20K BTU or more, and since these coaches don't have very good insulation, coupled with big windows, you might want to consider supplementing with a vent free, or a direct vent propane heater. You never know when you can get caught in a cold snap situation like TX had a few years back, with no power to boot.
John
'95 Serengeti, Cummins C8.3-300
Allison 6spd.