bay heater vent

Sinks, toilets, freshwater systems, waste systems, water heaters, holding tanks, distribution systems
buddaman

bay heater vent

Post by buddaman »

My 2001 zanzibar has ducting in the bay with a vent opening. Is this vent to help prevent freezing.
buddaman 2001 zanzibar
05wingrider

Re: bay heater vent

Post by 05wingrider »

Yes, it's part of the heated basement that our rigs have. That being said, if you are in extreme cold it probably won't be enough to prevent it though because of all the non insulated metal doors we have, so many people have put space heaters in there to assist in keeping that area warm. Also, the heat only works with your furnace, so if you have an alternative heat source, the basement won't receive any heat.
Duane
96 Sahara 30', 250hp Cat 3126
Allison 6spd MD-3060
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk "Toad"
Spokane WA
TDJohn

Re: bay heater vent

Post by TDJohn »

05wingrider wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:30 pm Yes, it's part of the heated basement that our rigs have. That being said, if you are in extreme cold it probably won't be enough to prevent it though because of all the non insulated metal doors we have, so many people have put space heaters in there to assist in keeping that area warm. Also, the heat only works with your furnace, so if you have an alternative heat source, the basement won't receive any heat.
On my coach and on many other Safaris I've seen, they all had insulated basement doors (one inch foam insulation). If I'm not mistaken, it is even mentioned in some of the original Safari sales brochures. That said, the back side of my black tank is not covered nor insulated, so during a cold snap, especially if there is a good wind coming from the back of the coach, it could freeze your black tank. I know of at least two older ('95 model yr) coaches, that have the same issue. If you look in legacy folder, you should be able to find my photos that I posted, regarding that issue.
John
'95 Serengeti, Cummins C8.3-300
Allison 6spd.