Bracing under corner cabinet

Sinks, toilets, freshwater systems, waste systems, water heaters, holding tanks, distribution systems
Safaritoonces

Bracing under corner cabinet

Post by Safaritoonces »

I found a brace under the corner section of the kitchen cabinets. I am trying to find out if this brace is needed or is an add-on by some RV tech. It currently is used to support a plumbing run. But there is a better way to support the plumbing and I am changing the design.

Does anyone else have a system that is like the picture, and does the brace need to be there? I see no purpose except to hold up the ABS run.
Attachments
20200128_195915.jpg
20200128_195915.jpg (1.34 MiB) Viewed 7482 times
Last edited by Safaritoonces on Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Robert and Bev Lewis
2000 Safari Continental, since 2017
3126B Cat, 330hp
MD3060 Allison
Bowen Island, BC

https://safaritoonces.org/
stuplich@ymail.com

Re: Bracing under corner cabinet

Post by stuplich@ymail.com »

Safaritoonces wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:56 pm I found a brace under the corner section of the kitchen cabinets. I am trying to find out if this brace is needed or is an add-on by some RV tech. It currently is used to support a plumbing run. But there is a better way to support the plumbing and I am changing the design.

Does anyone else have a system that is like the picture, and does the brace need to be there? I see no purpose except to hold up the ABS run.
Robert
Is the picture as posted in your message oriented correctly?
It looks to me like it should be rotated clockwise 90°.
download/file.php?id=71

In either case my advice is this: "If it ain't broke ...don't fix it".
Mel
'96 Sahara 3530, mine since '01
250 hp 3126 Cat, MD3060 Allison
Safaritoonces

Post by Safaritoonces »

Yes, the attach function rotated the picture for some reason.

I am building a roll out shelf and need the additional height. I can shift it up by 4" but I think this was another add on kludge by some less than competent tech. But I am not sure and would like to know for certain.
Robert and Bev Lewis
3126B Cat, 330hp
MD3060 Allison
Bowen Island, BC

05wingrider

Post by 05wingrider »

Robert,
Looking at the picture it appears that there's a flex piece between the black pipe and the white piping? I think that as long as you've got a solid brace to replace that cross piece with you'd be fine. I've moved a few of mine that were in less than charming locations with something a lot less intrusive with no complications - the main thing was that the line was still being held stable.
Duane
96 Sahara 30', 250hp Cat 3126
Allison 6spd MD-3060
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk "Toad"
Spokane WA
Safaritoonces

Post by Safaritoonces »

Thank you Duane, I removed the brace.Once I got it out it was apparent that the bracket was cobbled together by someone not from SMC.

This is yet another mess. I need to get a flexible 1.5" extension to add to the stiff white pvc pipe to allow flexing when slide goes in and out. I think someone cut the original pipe short and then redid plumbing with bits and pieces and the brace to hold every thing in place. I can see a previous bracket on the side wall that is no longer used.
Robert and Bev Lewis
3126B Cat, 330hp
MD3060 Allison
Bowen Island, BC