Replacing cable actuated sewer valves with rod actuated

Sinks, toilets, freshwater systems, waste systems, water heaters, holding tanks, distribution systems
sweetbeet

Replacing cable actuated sewer valves with rod actuated

Post by sweetbeet »

I have worked on projects during this time, the biggest was to change the sewage valves and lines from cable operated to pull rod and change the placement of them to make them serviceable, after all no one ever gets teepee stuck in a valve do they? The black valve has been leaking (must have teepee stuck in it), even before the cable hold down at the valve broke.
0909191158 (2).jpg
0909191158 (2).jpg (418.87 KiB) Viewed 9277 times
They placed this valve so deep in the belly of the rig that taking it apart to fix or clean is not a option. The cable that you see in to top of the picture below is the same one you see in the first picture. trying to give you a idea of how far back in this area they are placed
0909191422a (1).jpg
0909191422a (1).jpg (599.93 KiB) Viewed 9277 times
I got this replacement valve combo from etrailer.com it worked perfect both of the valves can be rotated to line them up where you need the valves to end up
0807202041.jpg
0807202041.jpg (6.4 MiB) Viewed 9277 times
so here it is with the old out and the new in!
0807202041_HDR (1).jpg
0807202041_HDR (1).jpg (3.63 MiB) Viewed 9277 times
0908201118_HDR.jpg
0908201118_HDR.jpg (5.35 MiB) Viewed 9277 times
0908201118.jpg
0908201118.jpg (2.5 MiB) Viewed 9277 times
Another Covid-19 casualty! So between end of April and end of October, we had 170 days on the road planned for 88 Year old Mom to speak all over USA in 2020. All cancelled until Mom feels like things look safer out there, we are laying low. She is writing books and Zooming for meetings all over the place. I am getting every little thing done on the rig so it is ready when she is next year. And Yes I see nothing that is slowing down her energizer bunny.
Ruth Irons and (Mom) Doris Wagner
Argyle, Tx
2007 Safari Simba 38STS FRED Toyhauler (for electric wheelchair access)
Toad: Dodge Caravan converted for wheelchair access.
Mom is 88 years old, an amputee in wheelchair, she still ministers all over USA.
Moonwink

Re: Replacing cable actuated sewer valves with rod actuated

Post by Moonwink »

Great Job! I like it very much! Would have liked to see a picture of you up in there cutting out the old valves :D

My old Residency had two dump valves for the black tank. One on the passenger side and one in the wet compartment on the driver's side. I got tired of walking around to the "other" side so I chiseled the old valve off so I could install a swivel valve on the tank out on the far side. I used a 4 foot piece of 1/4" rod (which I threaded the ends on) to extend the valve handle to the wet compartment. What a relief! Well worth the effort I went through. You'll be glad you took the time and effort to make the change every time you go to dump your tanks.
Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'15 Malibu 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System
sweetbeet

Post by sweetbeet »

I guess for everyones entertainment I should add the backstory.... or in this case the blackstory. When we first got the RV The whole system worked okay. Well all except my gray tanks I still don't have the gauge working at all on them. So I went to harbor freight and got a water alarm that goes off when water backs up in the shower, to let me know disaster is pending! But after a while I started having some seepage of the Blackwater. So I thought I would be smart and get one of those bayonet valves. The leak kept get worse. So when dressed in a dress, after coming back from church we got back to the camper that was parked at a ranch, they had full hookups for us there, I knew I needed to dump the tank, so I got out the hose and went to hook it up to the temporary valve I had put on the end of the line. I bet some of you are already guessing! What's going to happen next, Welcome to my Lucille Ball moment! Yes it did ! I went to reach up in there to attach the hose... but no.... I unattached the valve holding back the blackwater! The valve that is now sitting in my hand, I got Blackwater, about 15 gallons, all over my dress, in my eyes, in my mouth, I was 100% saturated In Blackwater. Tried hooking it back up as I am being soaked finally got it ....only to do it again! Finally gave up, held the hose close to get most of it to run in the hose until it stoped running. Fortunately we were on a ranch and could hose things down, could you imagine this happing at a RV park, I bet they would have called in hazmat (we were in California at the time) They also have a great place to wash off Horses. That became my new best friend!

After taking the whole thing apart on the ranch we were at,
0909191158 (2).jpg
0909191158 (2).jpg (418.87 KiB) Viewed 9267 times
I found that the cable mount on the valve was busted, so I did my temporary fix to get it working mostly.
0909191751.jpg
0909191751.jpg (462.64 KiB) Viewed 9267 times
0909191752a.jpg
0909191752a.jpg (355.65 KiB) Viewed 9267 times
It would still seep some from I am sure teepee in the gate, but not bad and I held the backup valve With a Chain vice grip. So I could not undo it again. And you wonder why I hate cable actuated valves and would change it out for one I can reach to service!

Well now you know the rest of the story!

So for the comment That you're going to like this so much better....You're right I'm going to like this so much better!
0920191443a (2).jpg
0920191443a (2).jpg (1.05 MiB) Viewed 9267 times
I have one other adventure along the same lines, but I refuse to admit I was THAT stupid, so I won't tell that one! But I did blow up the toilet and have to replace it! That one covered all the inside walls with it!
Argyle, Tx
Mom is 88 years old, an amputee in wheelchair, she still ministers all over USA.
Moonwink

Post by Moonwink »

Oh the joys or RVing! :lol:
Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'15 Malibu 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System
chuckster

Post by chuckster »

I can't image that sh1tty situation. :shock:

You and your mother are saints!

Chuck
Chuck & Mitzi
'01 Safari Zanzibar 3646 (side entry)
Cat 3126B / Allison MD3060
Magnum M-Series "Blue Max" chassis
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland toad
sweetbeet

Post by sweetbeet »

Well I will say My Mother is a Saint :D ....but me... not so much! ;)
Saved by Grace, NOT by works! At least I honor my Father and my Mother, so I get points for one of the big TEN!
Argyle, Tx
TDJohn

Post by TDJohn »

Blew up the toilet??? Hmm, I would venture to guess that your washer/dryer might have had something to do with it? :shock: :P

Everyone has stories of foolish mistakes, at least your humble enough to write about them. Kudos! ;)
John
'95 Serengeti, Cummins C8.3-300
Allison 6spd.
sweetbeet

Post by sweetbeet »

TDJohn wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:15 pm Blew up the toilet??? Hmm, I would venture to guess that your washer/dryer might have had something to do with it? :shock: :P

Everyone has stories of foolish mistakes, at least your humble enough to write about them. Kudos! ;)
OK I will tell it....Might help some poor soul, not do the things I do! Or It might just give us all a good deep belly laugh, something really missing in 2020!

If you don't read this sign, AND DO a Waste Tank flush,
WITH the drain valve closed like it says NOT to DO!

toilet blew up.jpg
toilet blew up.jpg (43.41 KiB) Viewed 9240 times

And say "Oh it will be nice to backfill this, so I can get a good drain and clean the sensors off ..."

Then walk into the house and forget what you are doing....filling the black tank with 50 psi.... then you have a kid scream, there is water on the floor! Run fast, YES, I KNOW WHAT I DID! See it is leaking under the toilet and across the floor..... :o PANICK!..... Then you use the foot valve to relieve the pressure as you are panicking!

OH why, OH WHY, did I not run outside and pull the drain valve?

It was a Yellowstone level Geyser when I hit the foot lever! :oops:

A 50 psi firehose, mist and chunks and well SMELL! :mrgreen:

And it destroyed the toilet!

The new one is very nice, glad for the upgrade! You know I love to make myself laugh it is funny now, it was not so funny cleaning it up! Praise God for bleach and oxiyclean! Every surface within 7 feet of the toilet can and did get a spray of water and when I was done bleach as well!

I hate to say it but I do have more stories of stupidity. But somehow by the grace of God, I made it to late 50s!

Anyone want to go camping with me?
Argyle, Tx
TDJohn

Post by TDJohn »

Now that is one heck of a camp fire story! It would be great to camp with you, as you have the best stories. :mrgreen:

Just be aware that a similar thing can happen if you try to use the washer without hookups and/or with the dump valve closed. :shock:
John
'95 Serengeti, Cummins C8.3-300
Allison 6spd.
sweetbeet

Post by sweetbeet »

The good or bad news is I can't blew it up with a washer, that is one thing that that was sacrificed for the Toyhauler version. Boy I really wish it had one, but there is no room!
Argyle, Tx