Under-sink water filtration cartridge systems

Sinks, toilets, freshwater systems, waste systems, water heaters, holding tanks, distribution systems
chuckster

Under-sink water filtration cartridge systems

Post by chuckster »

Howdy, all.

I am tired of lugging bottled water around on trips and I am contemplating an under-sink cartridge filtration system for drinking water. A couple of questions I have are...

1) Will water pressure be enough when using the 12V water pump? The Culligan model I am considering requires 30 psi minimum.
Here is the model http://culligandiy.com/getattachment/97 ... hment.aspx

2) Will mold/bacteria be a problem with a sealed cartridge system if it sits for long(ish) periods of time with no use e.g. when stored for the winter? Since no light would penetrate my guess would be it should be fine. Thoughts?

3) What is a safe water pressure for these older, higher-end coaches when hooked up to municipal water supply? Tiffin says around 100 psi but I've read that 45-55 psi tends to be about normal. I do enjoy a nice, strong flow under the shower head! :lol:

What do some of you folks use/do for good drinking water if not right out of your tap?

Regards,
Chuck & Mitzi
'01 Safari Zanzibar 3646 (side entry)
Cat 3126B / Allison MD3060
Magnum M-Series "Blue Max" chassis
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland toad
Moonwink

Re: Under-sink water filtration cartridge systems

Post by Moonwink »

This is only for a small spigot on your sink to fill a glass with water. The flow isn't going to be that great - it's rated at 1/2 gallon per minute.
I figure you've seen the warnings:
Precautions:
WARNING: Do not use with water that is microbiologically unsafe or of unknown quality without adequate disinfection before or after the system. Systems certified for cyst reduction may be used on disinfected waters that may contain filterable cysts.
CAUTION: This filter must be protected from freezing, which can cause cracking of the filter and water leakage.
NOTE: After prolonged periods of non-use (such as during a vacation) it is recommended that the system be flushed thoroughly. Let water run for 10 minutes before using.
I've got a spigot for drinking water on my kitchen sink but I use a larger filter meant to take a standard cartridge that I can find in most hardware stores. I make sure to buy cartridges with a nominal filtration rating of 0.5 micron. That's about as good as it gets without going to an Reverse Osmosis system.
Culligan doesn't spell out their micron rating but does give a list of everything it should filter out. It seems to me their goal is good tasting water but a simple carbon filter will make bad water taste good even though none of the harmful stuff is caught by them.
I tried a 0.5 micron filter in the cartridge housing at the end of my hose for the whole motorhome but it did reduce the flow a noticeable amount even though it was brand new so I swapped it out for a 5 micron filter that allows more water through but filters out most stuff. We don't drink that water. I use a whole house water pressure regulator set for 50-60 psi with great results - that should be plenty of pressure.

Here's a couple of things to look at:

0.5 micron cartridge: https://www.amazon.com/CFS-COMPLETE-FIL ... 07JKHV54P/

Whole RV filter system: https://www.amazon.com/Beech-Lane-Exter ... B07GBZ83HH
Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'15 Malibu 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System
chuckster

Re: Under-sink water filtration cartridge systems

Post by chuckster »

Hi Don,

Somehow missed this reply by you from April 2021.

It SOUNDS to me that this Beech-Lane filter you sent an Amazon link with comes with a 5 micron AND a .5 micron filter and that you replaced the .5 micron filter with another 5 micron filter because of restrictive water flow inside the motorhome. You also said that you DON'T use that water to drink from so I assume you use it as sort of a pre-filter for your drinking water system. So what water system DO you use to drink from in the RV? Seems like a cheap throw-away Camco inline filter (20 micron) isn't good enough as the pre-filter to a cartridge system?

best,
Chuck & Mitzi
'01 Safari Zanzibar 3646 (side entry)
Cat 3126B / Allison MD3060
Magnum M-Series "Blue Max" chassis
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland toad