Shark bite fittings

Sinks, toilets, freshwater systems, waste systems, water heaters, holding tanks, distribution systems
oldcobia

Shark bite fittings

Post by oldcobia »

Anyone used sharkbite fittings to repair polybutylene fittings on Safari coach?
1995 Safari Sahara 35’ 5.9 Cummins MD3060
Mark J.

Re: Shark bite fittings

Post by Mark J. »

They worked well for me. The hard part was maneuvering the compression tool into position. I used a Shark Bite valve to replace the city water/holding tank plastic valve that was shot. Easy to work with.
05wingrider

Post by 05wingrider »

I carry both the slip on and self sealing styles with me, along with some crimps and an inexpensive crimp pliers. While it may not be the perfect solution, I've already used a crimp and shark bite fitting to correct an issue in my rig (and the fix is still working fine over a year later). They aren't a perfect match for the tubing used in my 96, but they are close enough that they seal up and don't leak.
Duane
96 Sahara 30', 250hp Cat 3126
Allison 6spd MD-3060
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk "Toad"
Spokane WA
oldcobia

Post by oldcobia »

Used some Sharkbite fittings to repair leaks in polybutylene pipes under sink. Worked great and will use again in future.
1995 Safari Sahara 35’ 5.9 Cummins MD3060
QuantumRift

Post by QuantumRift »

I've used them extensively for home and RV applications and never had a problem, even though you hear 'dire warnings' from licensed plumbers (who also, by the way charge S100 an hour or more) that "they will leak" or "explode" or maybe cause the Earth to shift off its axis.
QuantumRift
1996 Safari Serengeti
3126 CAT
6-speed Allison World Transmission
TDJohn

Post by TDJohn »

QuantumRift wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 8:35 pm I've used them extensively for home and RV applications and never had a problem, even though you hear 'dire warnings' from licensed plumbers (who also, by the way charge S100 an hour or more) that "they will leak" or "explode" or maybe cause the Earth to shift off its axis.
Dough,

Like anything, they do fail, and then the connections happen to be behind a ceiling or wall, it is a PITA to repair. One of my friends remodeled his house, and yes, like you, he praised the shark bite fittings up and down. I cautioned him, but usually you won't change his mind, and sure enough, one of those shark bite fittings started seeping. Damaged the a section of the ceiling in the kitchen and was a pain to get to. I don't recall how long it has been, but I would guess that is lasted about 10 years. I don't have any statistics, but it seems like the shark bite fittings are more prone to issues when they are used on the hot water side, or in hydronic heating systems. It also seems like pex plastic ages much slower then a rubber o-ring do, so non shark bite type of fittings might be less risky in hard to reach areas. Are shark bite convenient and quick? Yup. Are o-rings more prone to failure, especially if poorly installed? Yup. Pick your poison, to each their own. :mrgreen:
John
'95 Serengeti, Cummins C8.3-300
Allison 6spd.
eneriksen

Post by eneriksen »

Once about a time there was a question always hanging over the head of shark bites. Now however, in my state, they are approved for use in homes. I have used them since just after they first came out and to this day have never had an issue, behind sheetrock or in my RVs.

Just make sure that you have a clean square cut on your pipe and that they are seated completely.
keegan8

Post by keegan8 »

Shark bites are good. If your state inspectors allow it, then no problem. Been in construction for 30 years, I've used SB, pex crimp, pex A expander, buried pex in concrete. And the COPPER.
Mice might chew on Pex pipe, but that's a rodent problem. Plumbers can be negative on SB, that's cause it cuts into their job security. But, Ive seen some of them use it also and charge twice as much as they cost. I would not have a problem using SBs in the MH if I needed to.
95 sahara, 5.9, Allison 6 sp, 35'
QuantumRift

Post by QuantumRift »

They are certainly not "poison" - I have used them on copper, plastic, tubing etc since their release on the market. I have never had one fail. Never. I follow the instructions, and if installed properly, they work fine and do not leak. PROPER installation is a must. But so is soldering, crimping, and sticking those little rubber white rings into the fittings correctly. I think it's a 'much ado' about nothing, but as I said, you'll get dire warnings of torrential leaks, earth axis shifts, meteorites storms, locusts and any other plague that can befall you. meh, smh...

dg

TDJohn wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 12:13 am
QuantumRift wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 8:35 pm I've used them extensively for home and RV applications and never had a problem, even though you hear 'dire warnings' from licensed plumbers (who also, by the way charge S100 an hour or more) that "they will leak" or "explode" or maybe cause the Earth to shift off its axis.
Dough,

Like anything, they do fail, and then the connections happen to be behind a ceiling or wall, it is a PITA to repair. One of my friends remodeled his house, and yes, like you, he praised the shark bite fittings up and down. I cautioned him, but usually you won't change his mind, and sure enough, one of those shark bite fittings started seeping. Damaged the a section of the ceiling in the kitchen and was a pain to get to. I don't recall how long it has been, but I would guess that is lasted about 10 years. I don't have any statistics, but it seems like the shark bite fittings are more prone to issues when they are used on the hot water side, or in hydronic heating systems. It also seems like pex plastic ages much slower then a rubber o-ring do, so non shark bite type of fittings might be less risky in hard to reach areas. Are shark bite convenient and quick? Yup. Are o-rings more prone to failure, especially if poorly installed? Yup. Pick your poison, to each their own. :mrgreen:
QuantumRift
1996 Safari Serengeti
3126 CAT
6-speed Allison World Transmission