Surburban tankless water heater

Sinks, toilets, freshwater systems, waste systems, water heaters, holding tanks, distribution systems
oldcobia

Surburban tankless water heater

Post by oldcobia »

Thinking about replacing my 6 gallon water heater with a Surburban tankless water heater. Anybody have any experience with them pros or cons. Thanks
1995 Safari Sahara 35’ 5.9 Cummins MD3060
TDJohn

Re: Surburban tankless water heater

Post by TDJohn »

I have not, but a while back, I recall people mentioning that they don't work too well when there is a slow flow rate. If that is the case, if you do a lot of boondocking, which requires low water usage, you might have issues with an on demand unit...

Regarding the on demand HWH, maybe post this same question on IRV2 forum, they have a much bigger, diversified group, and your odds would be much higher to find people who have used this type of water heater.
John
'95 Serengeti, Cummins C8.3-300
Allison 6spd.
Xraynomad

Post by Xraynomad »

What model were you looking to install? I have an on demand unit in my Safari Zanzibar. I didn’t go with the suburban brand I went with a Grirard. I have not had any issues with flow in mine. I do have a good water pump so boondocking showers are not an issue. Older rigs with lesser flow older pumps may have a problem depending on flow rate. I don’t boondock much so it’s not an issue for water usage. 2 years and counting full time RV experience here, and I love my on demand.

Vince and Marea
oldcobia

Post by oldcobia »

Looking at Surburban IW60, I have Surburban 6 gal LP only now. It has been in unit since '95 and still works fine but not enough hot water to keep wife happy during shower time. Don't do any boon docking so will always be connected shore water. Reviews so far are about 60/40 for tankless units. Still looking. Thanks
oldcobia

Post by oldcobia »

Pulled out my 6 gallon Surburban and am puzzled why there is a gate valve between hot and cold out of back of water heater.
oldcobia

Post by oldcobia »

After some research understood the valve was there for winterizing water heater. Would it be needed on a tankless unit? Thanks