Black tank odor

Sinks, toilets, freshwater systems, waste systems, water heaters, holding tanks, distribution systems
chuckster

Black tank odor

Post by chuckster »

I hope everyone is having an enjoyable summer and is able to get out and enjoy the outdoors in their RVs.

So, after remodeling my 2001 Zanzabar and chiseling out the old ceramic tile everywhere, including the bathroom, even after the LVP flooring was put in there was a small gap between the base of my toilet and the floor which I used shims to make sure that it would not rock when you sit on it. However, there is enough of a gap around the base and the flooring that I believe some of the black tank odor is seeping through even while the toilet has a good snug fit to the flange in the floor. I believe that some odor is still coming out around the mounting screws in the floor in the oblong holes where is mounts to the cast iron flange.

I am wondering if anyone has some ideas where I can get that toilet base firmly to the floor without having to use shims so that I can caulk it and not have to worry about odor seeping through.
Attachments
IMG_3894.jpeg
IMG_3894.jpeg (2.68 MiB) Viewed 31934 times
Chuck & Mitzi
'01 Safari Zanzibar 3646 (side entry)
Cat 3126B / Allison MD3060
Magnum M-Series "Blue Max" chassis
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland toad
eneriksen

Re: Black tank odor

Post by eneriksen »

Without being able to see below your toilet and the flange I don't know if this may be able to help in some way.

When I have had "sub-floor" issues, even in my concrete slab homes, I "pour" FlexSeal liquid into the offending area, no more than a 1/4" at a time allowing several hours to cure between pours. Getting a little more creative, you could also user their paste to create a customized rubber "ring cushion" around the entire base of the toilet instead of the shims.

Still, having said all of that, if you have an odor then there is still some underlaying issue and sealing the upper toilet is just covering up the problem. Are you sure the odor is from the flange? I have found that if the roof venting is not correct then sewer odors may come back up from the shower and sink drains and the source is not obvious.

BTW, this is not a commercial for FlesSeal :P , I have just had good long term success with the liquid and paste, not so much with the spray or tape. I have even had success with it on the roof where all the "official RV stuff" lasts for barely a season or two.

My 2-cents worth...
chuckster

Post by chuckster »

Well, we just returned from Yellowstone where we spent 10 days in similar 80’s to 90’s weather without an issue. No smells. I have used “Happy Camper” additive for the black tank and it works tremendously. This time, I have even tripled the Happy Camper dose with no help which is very unusual. After that didn’t work, I added a packet of tank deodorant. No help. It is definitely not coming from the gray tank as the sink in the kitchen not emitting any smell.

The seal to the flange from the toilet is new when I reinstalled the toilet and I am not leaking water to the floor and the tank flush ball seal is brand new and holds every drop of water so the only thing I can think of is the elongated screw holes in the cast iron plate in the floor where the brass screws come up to secure the toilet base is allowing the smell to escape around that 1/4” toilet base to floor gap.

I have no reason to believe the vent on the roof has become plugged or restricted but will check that as well. When I dump I will also take a sprayer wand and give it a thorough washing but I do not thing it is buildup because Happy Camper works well and I do spray every third or so dump.

Any other thoughts or suggestions are most welcomed.
Chuck & Mitzi
1Lotosrggp

Post by 1Lotosrggp »

Chuck,
On our 97 we kept having a stink. I'm not sure this pertains to you, but I tried the toilet flange without change. The problem I found was the bath sink also drains into the black water tank, and someone had used a flexible train connection that didn't seal properly. A little creativity with the odd sized drains and a wood lathe and I got it sealed up. Good luck.
Tom
97 Sahara 3550
3126 CAT 300hp
chuckster

Post by chuckster »

Well, I got the base of the toilet sealed good. Let’s see if that takes care of it.
Chuck & Mitzi