Water Heater Issue

Sinks, toilets, freshwater systems, waste systems, water heaters, holding tanks, distribution systems
Safari98

Water Heater Issue

Post by Safari98 »

Hey Group,

I have a ‘98 Safari Trek with a water heater issue. The water heater will ignite (propane) once. It will heater water and then not reignite to continue heating the water.

It has been suggested by a friend that the gas control valve unit may need replacing. We both looked at the unit and were unable to get a spark.

A discussion with a not too friendly rv service technician resulted in his maintaining that it maybe an ignitor control module. There doesn’t appear to be one on my unit.

Thoughts ?

Thanks
TDJohn

Re: Water Heater Issue

Post by TDJohn »

After the heater no longer reignites, how do you get it do ignite the one time again? Do you press the reset button on the back side of heater?

Sometimes the electronic board can be located remotely. Follow the igniter wire from the spark probe, backwards to wherever it goes, that should lead you to the board, as the igniter board is what generates the spark.
In case you do need an igniter board, the best and most robust boards are made by Dinosaur Electronics.

https://www.dinosaurelectronics.com/Ignitor_boards.htm
John
'95 Serengeti, Cummins C8.3-300
Allison 6spd.
QuantumRift

Re: Water Heater Issue

Post by QuantumRift »

Yes I bet you got an igniter unit it's that thicker red wire that sort of looks like a thin spark plug wire, that's your igniter wire. Follow it and you'll find the igniter unit up on the wall under the cabinet...in my Serengeti it's behind the Lazy Susan.
QuantumRift
1996 Safari Serengeti
3126 CAT
6-speed Allison World Transmission