Changing compartment locks

Skin, roof, windows, attachments, basement, etc.
astrnmrtom

Changing compartment locks

Post by astrnmrtom »

I've read where the vast majority of storage compartment locks in the RV industry use a common key. Has anyone changed the locks on their compartment doors? If they were all camlocks this wouldn't be a problem because they are easy to swap out, but what about the integrated locks in our compartment doors?

Thanks,
Tom and Pris Masterson, w/ Buddy the 18 year old Siamese cat.
1998 Serengeti 3706
300hp Cat 3126, Allison 3060
900 Watts of Solar
17cf, Fisher & Paykel residential Refrigerator
Dragging four telescopes around the US seeking dark skies.
stuplich@ymail.com

Re: Changing compartment locks

Post by stuplich@ymail.com »

astrnmrtom wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:10 am I've read where the vast majority of storage compartment locks in the RV industry use a common key. Has anyone changed the locks on their compartment doors? If they were all camlocks this wouldn't be a problem because they are easy to swap out, but what about the integrated locks in our compartment doors?

Thanks,
Tom Masterson
I've owned my coach since '01 and the original "common keyed compartment locks" have never caused a problem.
Mel
'96 Sahara 3530, mine since '01
250 hp 3126 Cat, MD3060 Allison
Moonwink

Post by Moonwink »

Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'15 Malibu 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System
TDJohn

Post by TDJohn »

astrnmrtom wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:10 am I've read where the vast majority of storage compartment locks in the RV industry use a common key. Has anyone changed the locks on their compartment doors? If they were all camlocks this wouldn't be a problem because they are easy to swap out, but what about the integrated locks in our compartment doors?

Thanks,
Bill Edwards has changed his locks on at least one of his Safaris that he had/has. So try to PM him or email him.
John
'95 Serengeti, Cummins C8.3-300
Allison 6spd.
astrnmrtom

Post by astrnmrtom »

Thanks for the reference to Bill E,

The rig is in storage and I haven't had a chance to remove a handle/lock unit and see how the lock itself is installed. I'm very familiar with the cam locks linked having installed many of them in cabinets at work. The only place I have that style lock is the electrical compartment infront of the driver's side front wheel, the main electrical compartment with the 50amp cord/inverter/charger, and the generator compartment. All regular storage compartments have integrated locks similar to the front door. I realize the odds of anyone coming along and using their RV key to unlock my compartments to steal stuff is extremely slim, and that no lock will stop a determined thief, but changing the existing locks to an uncommon key is a simple way to add a little more security. I'm going to be removing the handles to repaint them, and swapping out the core "should" be easy if the parts are available. I just haven't found an place that appears to sell the cores. Trimark who makes the locks mentions the locks are re-keyable so worse comes to worse, I may have to pull the cores and have them re-keyed at a local locksmith. Contacting Trimark is an option too, Just thought I'd make a stop here first to see if anyone else has done it and if so, what did it entail.

Thanks again,
1998 Serengeti 3706
900 Watts of Solar
TDJohn

Post by TDJohn »

Tom,

I was able to get a hold of Bill, he said that he removed all of the locks and took them to a lock smith. Three hundred dollars later, he had new keys for the re-keyed locks and reinstalled them back on the coach. He said the it was pretty simple, but pricey...
John
'95 Serengeti, Cummins C8.3-300
Allison 6spd.
astrnmrtom

Post by astrnmrtom »

Great, thanks for the update. When I pull the handles for my main compartment to repaint them, I'll take them in and get an estimate and go from there.
1998 Serengeti 3706
900 Watts of Solar
kjmckay

Post by kjmckay »

Hi all
so is there different keys on all the basement doors ?
I would hope you could do one lock and have new keys made.
stuplich@ymail.com

Post by stuplich@ymail.com »

kjmckay wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:34 pm Hi all
so is there different keys on all the basement doors ?
I would hope you could do one lock and have new keys made.
kjmckay
If you want to use a different compartment lock key than the original key you will have to "DO", (aka: "RE-KEY"), each individual lock.
Mel
'96 Sahara 3530, mine since '01
250 hp 3126 Cat, MD3060 Allison