Refreshing the roof sealant

Skin, roof, windows, attachments, basement, etc.
chuckster

Refreshing the roof sealant

Post by chuckster »

While I was performing rooftop A/C maintenance I noticed that the roof sealant is looking a little old and brittle. It isn’t cracking quite yet but probably is a couple of years away from that. When I was shopping the coach I was assuming that the roof had been recently re-done because all around the edges of the coach it looked brand new. I didn’t visit the roof when kicking the tires because there is no ladder on the rear of this coach. Is that normal? My other motorhomes all had a ladder attached to the rear.

Any way, I am thinking of putting a coat of rubber roof coating on top to freshen it up while I am out of other (fun) projects that need to be done. Should I do more than one coat after letting the first pass dry for a few days or is it one-and-done? Looks like Am@z0n has a couple of different brands...Dicor RPCRC1 White EPDM Rubber Roof Coating - 1 Gallon at $64 or Liquid Rubber RV Roof Coating - Solar Reflective Sealant - Waterproof - Easy to Apply - Brilliant White,1 Gallon at $75 per gallon. I am familiar with the Dicor brand of sealant. Then there’s Heng’s at $60 per gallon. Anyone been down this road that can tell me how many coats and how many gallons for 37’ coach? What type of nap on the roller?

Regards,
Chuck & Mitzi
'01 Safari Zanzibar 3646 (side entry)
Cat 3126B / Allison MD3060
Magnum M-Series "Blue Max" chassis
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland toad
TDJohn

Re: Refreshing the roof sealant

Post by TDJohn »

Chuck,

Considering the age of the the Filon roof, it would not be a bad idea to coat the roof with an elastomeric paint. Two coats, if you feel ambitious, three coats would be even better. As an additional precaution, it would be a good idea to apply Eternabond tape on the end cap seams and other items like vents and sky light, and re-caulk other areas where E-tape is not practical to use. After the caulk sets for a few days, paint the roof. By applying the elastomeric paint over the caulking, leaves the caulk soft and flexible by sealing/blocking it from the sun. It is key to have the roof scrubbed and cleaned really well, before you start the process.
John
'95 Serengeti, Cummins C8.3-300
Allison 6spd.
chuckster

Post by chuckster »

TDJohn wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:28 am Chuck,

Considering the age of the the Filon roof, it would not be a bad idea to coat the roof with an elastomeric paint. Two coats, if you feel ambitious, three coats would be even better. As an additional precaution, it would be a good idea to apply Eternabond tape on the end cap seams and other items like vents and sky light, and re-caulk other areas where E-tape is not practical to use. After the caulk sets for a few days, paint the roof. By applying the elastomeric paint over the caulking, leaves the caulk soft and flexible by sealing/blocking it from the sun. It is key to have the roof scrubbed and cleaned really well, before you start the process.
Hi John,

By “elastomeric paint”, I am assuming that the brands I mentioned above are all of that sort (elastomeric) or are you talking about something entirely different? ‘Liquid Rubber RV Roof Coating’ claims to be “solar reflective” and I deem they all might be about equal in terms of chemical properties and this is their particular marketing gimmick.

Happy summer trails,
Chuck & Mitzi
TDJohn

Post by TDJohn »

Yes, all those are one version or another of an elastomeric paint. The main thing is that it is NOT a silicone based coating.
John
'95 Serengeti, Cummins C8.3-300
Allison 6spd.
chuckster

Post by chuckster »

TDJohn wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 3:55 pm Yes, all those are one version or another of an elastomeric paint. The main thing is that it is NOT a silicone based coating.
:D thanks!
Chuck & Mitzi
chuckster

Post by chuckster »

Well….believe it or not (hehe), after a long summer and fall of going about 5,000 miles in the coach on various adventures, I am just now getting around to considering re-doing the roof. I think I am going to do 2 or 3 coats of Henry’s Extreme Enviro-White Reflective elastomeric coating that is 85% reflective and has a 12 year warranty. Lowe’s has it for $45 a can and in stock plus I get a 10% Veteran’s discount from them. I will re-tape everything first with Eternabond after cleaning the roof with TSP. I am fortunate enough to have a heated RV garage to work in so this will be a November or December project along with a few other upgrades and fixes.

Anyone opposed to the Henry’s versus competing products? Any other comments or suggestions?

I hope you have all been doing well the past few months.

Very best wishes for a safe and enjoyable holiday season,
Chuck
Chuck & Mitzi
ProCycle

Post by ProCycle »

I think the Henry's is a fine choice.
Jeff