solar panel on Filon roof

Skin, roof, windows, attachments, basement, etc.
Robert K

solar panel on Filon roof

Post by Robert K »

I am putting 2 new panels on and was wondering.
With the filon floating on the roof will it wear at the edges of the brackets?

My plan is to put a piece of etenabond slightly bigger than the bracket at each bracket. I will put a bead of dicor on perimeter of bracket and puddle self leveling dicor on complete top of bracket.

The brackets have 2 holes plan to hit roof framing with one and I guess the other will do some good into the plywood sheeting.

thanks for any comments
Bob
96 Serengeti 37'
3126 Cat
6 speed Allison
2011 jeep wrangler towd
stuplich@ymail.com

Re: solar panel on Filon roof

Post by stuplich@ymail.com »

Bob,
I used large WELL NUTS and stainless steel screws to attach the brackets to both the Filon and the plywood roof substrate:
Mel
'96 Sahara 3530, mine since '01
250 hp 3126 Cat, MD3060 Allison
TDJohn

Post by TDJohn »

Bob,

Here is a link to a solar installation by fellow Safari owners Steve and Karen (Karen in the woods blog). There are pictures of the type of anchors they used. This blog might be of help to you.
If you are using Eternabond tape between the bracket and the roof, I would suggest to use the double sided Eternabond tape, as the vinyl backed E-tape might seep through the slippery vinyl surface laying against the brackets.

What charge controller are you planning to use?
How many panels/watts, and what type/brand panels are you installing?

As for panel brackets rubbing on filon roof, I have six panels on my roof for over 5 years with out issues. Mine were installed by setting the bracket into a puddle of Dicor and tightening the screws down. As far as I know, Steve and Karen have not had any issues with their install nor the brackets damaging the filon. I think there would need to be movement of the brackets for it to damage the filon roof. You don't want any movement of brackets, as that means they are getting loose

Link: https://kareninthewoods-kareninthewoods ... ation.html
John
'95 Serengeti, Cummins C8.3-300
Allison 6spd.
Robert K

Post by Robert K »

Thanks Mel and John

I will look into the well nuts for the screws that miss the truss.

I have 2 180 watt panels Bogue rv the controler is RS-MPPT40 Rich solar. 4 - 6 volt batteries 225 amp
4 z brackets per panel

I was more concerned with the movement of the filon but I think I will be good with the eternabond under it.
plan on hooking panels in series and will run 10 gauge wire to controller.

I will use location of fan openings in the roof to hopefully hit one screw in truss and the wellnut on the other screw on bracket

Bob
Bob
96 Serengeti 37'
3126 Cat
6 speed Allison
2011 jeep wrangler towd
TDJohn

Post by TDJohn »

Bob,

If you are considering of possibly expanding your system in the future, consider running heavier wire. This way if/when you want to expand, it is just a matter of adding the panels, saving the whole process of running wires again. One easy low cost way to obtain heavier wire is to go to Walmart and buy some cheap jumper cables, cut off the ends and run it down to the charge controller. Their jumper cables come in gauge sizes, roughly from 8 to 4 gauge.
Also, the two Siemens old panels that still work, I kept them and rewired them where they maintain the chassis batteries. That has worked out well, no more dead or weak chassis batteries when sitting for a while.
John
Allison 6spd.
Robert K

Post by Robert K »

I think that even if I add 2 more 180 watt panels I will be ok as 10gauge wire will carry 30 amps.
If I hook them up series parallel it would only be 20 amps at 72 volts max. The controller is set up for 10 gauge wire in.
I am getting this ready to travel out west starting in spring of 2023 so have time to experiment some.

Thanks for any advice
Bob
Bob
96 Serengeti 37'
3126 Cat
6 speed Allison
2011 jeep wrangler towd
TDJohn

Post by TDJohn »

Bob,

The 30amp rating for 10 gauge wire is maximum rated load. The issue in low voltage DC power, especially solar charging is voltage drop. Every tenth of a volt counts when your charging on solar, it really affects the efficiency of the system, and they only way to counter voltage loss is by using heavier gauge wire. This is especially crucial when running from charge controller to the battery bank, but also still important when running from solar panel to charge controller. Do it right once, with room to expand, you will be happier that you did. ;)
John
Allison 6spd.