What's it worth?

If you're not sure which forum to use, drop it here.
warmcozyfire

What's it worth?

Post by warmcozyfire »

Hi All - appreciate your expertise in all things Safari.

We're first time RV'ers who are in the market for our first purchase and have been researching the Safari brand. We're going out to look at a 2001 Cheetah tomorrow night and were hoping to get a sense of how to value an RV of this type, pretty unique.

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/rvs/ ... 74106.html

Thoughts?
Safaritoonces

Re: What's it worth?

Post by Safaritoonces »

The price seems high to me. The engine type isn't listed or I missed it. The C7 Caterpillar engine is very expensive to repair and some had a lot of problems according to Josh on the YouTube channel adeptape. But personally I would never again buy a Safari Coach from a dealer. You would be better to search this site and the facebook forums for owner units. Owners can tell you the coaches history, this is critical. RV dealers are flipping the unit and many will not remember your name once the coach leaves their lot. I have seen better coaches for $10-20k less.

Check the link in my signature to see what could lie ahead if you buy thru a dealer.
Robert and Bev Lewis
2000 Safari Continental, since 2017
3126B Cat, 330hp
MD3060 Allison
Bowen Island, BC

https://safaritoonces.org/
warmcozyfire

Post by warmcozyfire »

Thanks for the info @safaritoonces - agree, it feels a bit high to us as well.

Thanks for the link to your site as well. We got distracted by watching your cat play area project, haha. Any other tips or things you think we should be on the lookout for when trying to find one of these private party?
TDJohn

Post by TDJohn »

Warmcozyfire,

This coach appears to be in very nice condition, with a lot of unique upgrades done to it. That said, no matter if you are buying a new or used coach, from dealer or private sale, it is best to hire a professional RV inspector to thoroughly inspect the coach, the house side and the vehicle/mechanical side.

The price seems a bit high, but considering that it has solar, wood stove, two gas heaters, and a new refrigerator, not to mention some mechanical upgrades (rear brakes, Tiger Traks, etc), the price is not too high IF the coach is in truly great condition.
I don't know your situation. If you have kids and have a desire to do a lot of boondocking and also fulltiming, then this coach and the way it is set up, would be a very good fit for those type of needs. The Safaris have lots of storage, and large tanks, which is also a plus for boondocking and fulltiming. Also, between the solar and a very fuel efficient diesel generator, that is also a big plus for someone who desires to boondock and/or live full time in the coach.
The price of the coach is ultimately what it is worth to you. If the coach checks out clean and in good condition and it fits your needs, then it might be worth paying a bit more than what these coaches go for in stock form. Pay now or pay later, for repairs and modifications...
Considering all the additional upgrades and also the completion of some of the pricey repairs like brakes and refrigerator among other things, the price does not seem that far off. If the coach checks out well, and fits your needs, consider offering $30K and see where it goes from there. The owner states that he is moving back east, so you will likely be able to knock the price down. Again, NADA guide, is just that, only a guide. It comes down to what it is worth to you and your needs.

When having the coach checked out, I would pay special attention to proper function and condition of the slides, proper ride height. Ride height should be 25 inches at each wheel (+/- 1/4"). You check the height at each wheel, measuring from the center of the wheel hubcap to the bottom of the belt line. Also check and see how many ride height shims are still left at each wheel.
Check for roof leaks and have someone get up on the roof to make sure there is no soft spots.
Of course the engine and transmission need to be checked over and tested, but as far as the engine goes, it is not a CAT C7. CAT didn't start building those engines until '03. That engine is more than likely an updated CAT 3126, which is a good engine. Check and make sure that the charge air cooler and the radiator (they are sandwiched together) are clean. You check from the fan side, as that is where the dirt collects. If it is dirty, it's not that hard to clean, but you can use those kind of issue to help bargain the price down.
Check the date codes on the tires. Tires that are 7 to 8 years old are aged out, even if they have a lot of tread. The last four digits of the DOT code stand for the week and year the tire was made. For example, if the tire 0412, it would mean that the tire was manufacturer the fourth week of 2012 (end of January 2012). If the tires are old, that is a big bargaining tool, as a new set of 6 tires will run you around $3000.
There are many more things to check for, I just mention some of the ones like ride height, that are specif to the VelvetRide torsional suspension that was common on this brand coaches, and a few other items. The files section should have a comprehensive check list that you can download and print out, to help you go through the inspection.

All in all, this brand coach was very well built, and if taken care of, they are very solid and high quality. Much better than many of the new junk units they are pushing out the doors as fast as they can. With these coaches, unless you get a lemon, you get a lot of bang for the buck. 8-)
Also, this group has amazing wonderful knowledgeable people that are a great resource and help with keeping these classics rolling. ;)

Happy Hunting!!! :mrgreen:
John
'95 Serengeti, Cummins C8.3-300
Allison 6spd.