Propane overfill

If you're not sure which forum to use, drop it here.
TDJohn

Re: Propane overfill

Post by TDJohn »

LionDriver wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:40 pm Yesterday I was busy checking in to a park and didn't pay attention to the guy filling my propane tank and it shows way over full. He put in 28 gallons until his pump stopped and I think my tank is 50 gallons (96 Serengeti) and it was 1/4 full before filling. After, the gauge showed past the last full dot (near the 5 oclock position on the gauge).

I ran the furnace and water heater all night long and also opened the vent valve and vented out some for a little bit.

The gauge still shows past full but much lower then before. Should I be concerned? Should I let out more? Is it possible my gauge is just off? We aren't expecting anything hotter then 80 here.
Lion,

Unless the tank was filled when it was super cold, and you expect the temps to climb to 85+ after a cold fill, I doubt you will have any issues. The tanks have have an over fill protection valve in them that cuts of the fill port once the tank is full, and the tank also has a pressure relief valve for additional safety. Also, keep in mind that the tank is horizontal, so the gauge is not very accurate. You can be a little off tilt in one direction and it will show over full, and in the other direction and it will show 2/3 of a tank. Play with your leveling jacks, side to side, and you will see how much that gauge fluctuates.

BTW, please sign your post, and include your coach information in your signature, as it helps us help you (see my signature below, as an example). ;)

Thanks,
John
'95 Serengeti, Cummins C8.3-300
Allison 6spd.
05wingrider

Post by 05wingrider »

Horizontal tanks like ours are designed to only fill to about the 85% point, regardless what the gauge will indicate. There's a float inside of the tank that will shut off the fill valve - even if they try to overfill it, they can't. My Sahara has a 35 gallon tank, but only 28 gallons can be put into it - allowing for expansion, so unless you go from an extremely cold environment to very hot all of a sudden, your tank should be just fine.
Duane
96 Sahara 30', 250hp Cat 3126
Allison 6spd MD-3060
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk "Toad"
Spokane WA
TDJohn

Post by TDJohn »

Administrator,

What happened with Lion's original post??? It looks like it has been erased. I hope Lion did not get caught in the spam drag net while things were being cleaned up...
John
'95 Serengeti, Cummins C8.3-300
Allison 6spd.
safari-admin
Site Admin

Post by safari-admin »

Well, that's a little embarrassing: There's a good chance Lion's account got caught in the dragnet. They will need to sign up again. Hopefully no one else has been inadvertently booted.