"Soft Cruise" (a programable setting)

If you're not sure which forum to use, drop it here.
stuplich@ymail.com

"Soft Cruise" (a programable setting)

Post by stuplich@ymail.com »

40,000 miles ago, (in 2013), I had a Cat dealer re-program the "cruise control parameters" of my 250hp 3126 Cat powered coach to "Soft Cruise"

"Soft Cruise" as explained by Brett Wolfe, on Safarifriends Yahoo:
[OUOTE]
Soft Cruise allows a little more speed variation before going to WOT, (wide open throttle)--
(now, going over an overpass does not use the extra fuel that maintaining that exact
speed would require). Gives a little better MPG at the "cost of" not maintaining an
exact speed when on cruise-- an easy trade-off for me.
[END of QUOTE]
Mel
'96 Sahara 3530, mine since '01
250 hp 3126 Cat, MD3060 Allison
wolfe10

Re: "Soft Cruise" (a programable setting)

Post by wolfe10 »

Yup, I did the same.

It no longer goes to WOT on a freeway overpass. Much more relaxing and better MPG.

But, if slowing down a couple of MPH on those overpasses bothers you, don't do it.
Brett and Dianne Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'. Ex 1997 Safari Sahara. Ex 1993 Foretravel U240
Moderator, FMCA Forums 2009-2020
Chairman, FMCA Technical Advisory Committee 2011- 2020
Moderator, http://www.dieselrvclub.org/ (FMCA chapter) 2002-
fertooos

Post by fertooos »

Are there any forex traders here? I am trading on a few platforms now. I followed the recommendations found on the www.tradersunion.com forex site. It is interesting to find out what brokerage companies other traders find reliable. I deal only with officially legitimate brokers that allow you access to the trading terminal features with the minimum investments.
Last edited by fertooos on Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
ProCycle

Post by ProCycle »

What is the typical cost of getting the program update?
Jeff
1997 Ivory Edition 3740 Cat 3126 Allison
stuplich@ymail.com

ProCycle wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:03 am What is the typical cost of getting the program update?
My nearby Cat dealer Fabick Cat, (formally Fabco Cat, Weston, WI), didn't charge me anything back in 2013.
Last edited by stuplich@ymail.com on Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mel
05wingrider

Post by 05wingrider »

Question for all - is this done via the Cat ECM, or do they have to go into the Allison unit for the change? When the Allison place was trying to do the Pac Brake settings they had some difficulties accessing the Allison unit (I had to unhook my scangage from that data link under the dash, and they still had to use "old school" and fuss with it for a few, so this would give me a better heads up.

Thanks!!
Duane
96 Sahara 30', 250hp Cat 3126
Allison 6spd MD-3060
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk "Toad"
Spokane WA
stuplich@ymail.com

05wingrider wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 7:04 pm Question for all - is this done via the Cat ECM, or do they have to go into the Allison unit for the change? When the Allison place was trying to do the Pac Brake settings they had some difficulties accessing the Allison unit (I had to unhook my scangage from that data link under the dash, and they still had to use "old school" and fuss with it for a few, so this would give me a better heads up.
Thanks!!
Duane
To read and re-program my Cat the service tech connected their computer at the round 6 pin diagnostic port in my rear curb side service bay.
Mel
05wingrider

Post by 05wingrider »

Thanks, Mel.
When I took my rig in to have the Pac-Brake setting changed from 2nd to 4th, the tech wasn't able to get his adapter plug to fit into the 6 pin in the maintenance bay, so I ended up taking my Scangage off under the dash so he could connect there instead (and even then had problems). I though it strange since I was able to connect my scangage to the port in the maintenance bay just fine, but it wouldn't fit into the one under the dash, forcing me to come up with a solution (I used some cannon plug pins and made a spacer for the scangage plug and taped it together - works fine, just looks kind of funky). Since the Allison place was a LOT easier to deal with, I guess I'll have to stop in and ask if that's something they can do, or do I have to go deal with the Cat dealer (they aren't overly receptive to anyone other than Earth Mover Equipment).
Duane
96 Sahara 30', 250hp Cat 3126
Allison 6spd MD-3060
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk "Toad"
Spokane WA
stuplich@ymail.com

05wingrider wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:33 pm Thanks, Mel.
When I took my rig in to have the Pac-Brake setting changed from 2nd to 4th, the tech wasn't able to get his adapter plug to fit into the 6 pin in the maintenance bay, so I ended up taking my Scangage off under the dash so he could connect there instead (and even then had problems). I though it strange since I was able to connect my scangage to the port in the maintenance bay just fine, but it wouldn't fit into the one under the dash, forcing me to come up with a solution (I used some cannon plug pins and made a spacer for the scangage plug and taped it together - works fine, just looks kind of funky). Since the Allison place was a LOT easier to deal with, I guess I'll have to stop in and ask if that's something they can do, or do I have to go deal with the Cat dealer (they aren't overly receptive to anyone other than Earth Mover Equipment).
I had to modify the ScanGaugeD connector to make it work with this under dash diagnostic port:Image
Mel