Washington state bound

If you're not sure which forum to use, drop it here.
oldcobia

Washington state bound

Post by oldcobia »

We will be traveling from north Florida to Washington state mid September. Do not want to go through Texas. Planning to head northwest then west. Any recommendations of places to avoid or to be sure to see. We have never been this far yet and way to try to avoid any problems. Especially snow. Will probably be on interstate most of way but don’t mind any side trips. Thanks
1995 Safari Sahara 35’ 5.9 Cummins MD3060
chuckster

Re: Washington state bound

Post by chuckster »

Mt. Rushmore and surrounding area. Beautiful. Some very nice RV parks in that area too.

Safe and issue-free travels to you.
Chuck & Mitzi
'01 Safari Zanzibar 3646 (side entry)
Cat 3126B / Allison MD3060
Magnum M-Series "Blue Max" chassis
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland toad
brstough2004@gmail.com

Post by brstough2004@gmail.com »

Lots of places to see along the Lewis and Clark Trail. Obviously, they spent a lot of time in some pretty rugged territory, but they did "blaze the trail".

Perhaps you could just look at some of the places that they stopped along the way. Lot's of great scenery!

https://www.nps.gov/lecl/learn/historyc ... -route.htm

That isn't quite a DUE NORTH route for you, but close.

St Louis is officially "the gateway" to the Lewis and Clark trail, but there are historical places east of that (may surprise you)

Council Bluffs Iowa has a "Western Historic Trails Center" - where they show the routes of four major trails involved in "western expansion"..

As mentioned, MT Rushmore is really worth seeing (as long as you don't try to travel during "bike week"...

I did this and went out of my way a little bit to see "Chimney Rock" in Nebraska and "Devil's Tower" in Wyoming. (Both of these are quite a ways from interstates, but nice to see)

Montana has a site commemorating Sacajawea's son (that was born on the trip westward with Lewis and Clark) Pompey's Pillar - which isn't all that far from Little Bighorn.

FYI - Montana and Idaho have some SERIOUS HILLS on the interstate (and elsewhere) - so I would doublecheck brakes and other equipment that can be affected by long (but beautiful) hills and mountains!!

Praying for a safe trip for you!!!

PS - Edit - something I forgot. If you find yourself going anywhere near Cincinnati, OH - I haven't been here yet (but was born close to this place several decades ago) the Creation Museum or, even better, The Ark Adventure. Both of these are in northern Kentucky - not far from interstate 75. I have a friend that just returned from a LONG motorcycle trip, and he was just IN AWE of the Ark Adventure. The highlight of his trip!!!

Nearby (relatively) across the river from Louisville, there is Clarksburg, Indiana. Named after George Rogers Clark - who, by the way, was an uncle to William Clark (of the Lewis and Clark expedition) Clarksburg has, what I think is the MOST Recent "commemorative site" for Lewis and Clark. I stopped in there a couple years ago when I heard this - and some vandals had just burned the historic cabin. Still, the view back across the Ohio River from there is amazing!!
TDJohn

Post by TDJohn »

Brian, nice write up, I will have to remember some of those suggestions, especially around KY.

Oldcobia,
Badlands National Park, which is near Wall, SD is also a great place to see. If you are set up to Boondock, there is a nice area to stay at the Buffalo Gap National Grasslands, about two miles before the park entrance and about 10 to 15 min from Wall. Wall is also a neat town of the old days, that has kept its old fashion ways.
If the weather is not working against you, and you don't mind wandering out of the way a bit, the Grand Teton NP and Yellowstone NP are beautiful places to see, plus it will be off season, so no crowds to deal with. Coeur d'Alene, Idaho is also a very beautiful town and area to explore, if you plan to enter WA from the eastern side of the state.

I agree with Brian, regarding the mountain grades. Unlike CO, MT is pretty terrible with their mountain grade warning signs. The are tiny and very few of them. Pretty much one warning, if you miss it good luck, must be MT's view. :shock: Going down into Butte, MT is one of those cases, small sign easy to miss, pretty decent grade. If you never been on big mountain grades, take you time, don't worry about the traffic behind you, just concentrate on safely getting up and down the grades. When in doubt, start with a low gear and if it is too slow, go up one. Remember, it is always easier to shift up a gear, then trying to slow the rig down enough to drop a gear. If your coach as an exhaust brake, use it liberally on the grades and pretty much anytime when needing to slow down. It will not only keep your brakes cool going down grades, but will save you unnecessary wear and tare on the brakes.

Safe and joyous travels!
John
'95 Serengeti, Cummins C8.3-300
Allison 6spd.
oldcobia

Post by oldcobia »

Thanks for all the input. Not sure of route yet but just found out we will be going to San Marcos ,Texas first to watch grand kids while parents go to concert at Red Rocks. Then will probably head north and figure out rest on way. Another change is now starting trip in mid October. Thanks again
1995 Safari Sahara 35’ 5.9 Cummins MD3060
TDJohn

Post by TDJohn »

Heading to WA that late in the season, you might be better of hugging the California and OR coastline to avoid bad weather, or play in the southwest, like AZ for the winter. If you do go up the coast, obviously stay off of the real curvy and narrow parts of coastal route 1...
John
'95 Serengeti, Cummins C8.3-300
Allison 6spd.
RSBILLEDWARDS

Post by RSBILLEDWARDS »

I am sorry I spent an hour composing a post to this and when I hit submit it dumpedd it. So not doing it again if you would like my perspective having grown up in the west and traveled extensively please call Bill Edwards 303 807 7975. Yes weather WILL be a contributing factor! 303 807 7975