Engine Comm Failure Message

If you're not sure which forum to use, drop it here.
Monacofan

Engine Comm Failure Message

Post by Monacofan »

I have a 2009 safari Cheeteh with a Cat C9 ACERT motor. Last year soon after I started it up the ILB displayed an 'Engine Comm failure Message" and the coach went into limp home mode where it would not go over 15 MPH. Since then, I have had a mobile diesel mechanic scan the coach for errors and have had it towed to Rush Truck Centers and later towed back home. Both mechanics said that there was a generic CAN Bus communication error and that the engine and transmission in the coach are ok. They both said they believed that the problem was with the Safari provided CAN Bus network and electronics and refused to do any further troubleshooting. I removed the ILB display from the dash and sent it to Medallion Instruments for bench testing. It failed bench testing and I ordered and installed a new ILB at a cost of over $2000. This did not cure the problem. Recently, I cleaned and checked the ECM fuses and connections and the J1939 CAN Bus ground connection to the frame. I also checked and cleaned most of the gray plastic connectors in the J1930 CAN Bus backbone cable with the exception of the one that connects to the TCM (Because I cannot find if under the coach). None of these actions has cleared the "Engine Comm Failure" message. Any help or troubleshooting advice is greatly appreciated.
TDJohn

Re: Engine Comm Failure Message

Post by TDJohn »

I would suggest giving Dave Atherton a call, 605-997-0720. He is a retired CAT master troubleshooter and is very knowledgeable and helpful.
John
'95 Serengeti, Cummins C8.3-300
Allison 6spd.
Monacofan

Re: Engine Comm Failure Message

Post by Monacofan »

John,

Thanks for the help. Can I just call Mr. Atherton or should I message him beforehand?