Slow fuel fill fix

Introducing... you! Say hi and tell us a little about yourself. Attach a picture of your coach if you like.
stuplich@ymail.com

Slow fuel fill fix

Post by stuplich@ymail.com »

To help eliminate fuel from foaming up the filler hose, (which can cause fuel pump nozzles to shut off prematurely/often)...
AND to improve fuel fill speed...
RE-ROUTE, (and/or SHORTEN), the "VAPOR RETURN HOSE" to eliminate any "sag" or "low spot" in that hose.
Mel
'96 Sahara 3530, mine since '01
250 hp 3126 Cat, MD3060 Allison
jplante4

Re: Slow fuel fill fix

Post by jplante4 »

I still get some fuel in the line even though I eliminated the sag the first year I had the coach. I keep a short section of clear hose handy to blow out the vent line before refueling. I get a few strange looks from truckers, but it does work.
Jerry & Jeanne Plante
1996 Sahara 3530
CAT 3126/Allison 6 spd
2013 Equinox toad/Blue Ox
05wingrider

Post by 05wingrider »

Now you've got me wondering - my 96 is a total pain to fill, and I've had fuel on the ground when I filled it too full once. Guess once the weather decides that I can be outside without wearing multiple layers that I'll have to see if the top of my tank connections are visible or not!
Duane
96 Sahara 30', 250hp Cat 3126
Allison 6spd MD-3060
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk "Toad"
Spokane WA
jplante4

Post by jplante4 »

There is one more dimension to this issue that could be of interest to new Safari owners that are unaware of the filling problem (like me 5 years ago). I was calculating my fuel range based on gallons on a fillup that was not actually a fillup. I was a little surprised that I was getting 11 MPG until I ran out of fuel on I-10 in Florida on my first extended trip. In addition to my bad fuel usage numbers, the fuel gauges were reading 1/4 when I ran out. As a result of that, I changed my fuel range from 800 miles to 600 miles and never run the tanks below 1/2. I was very lucky that I didn't ruin any injectors or the HEUI pump.
Jerry & Jeanne Plante
1996 Sahara 3530
CAT 3126/Allison 6 spd
2013 Equinox toad/Blue Ox
stuplich@ymail.com

05wingrider wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:16 pm Now you've got me wondering - my 96 is a total pain to fill, and I've had fuel on the ground when I filled it too full once. Guess once the weather decides that I can be outside without wearing multiple layers that I'll have to see if the top of my tank connections are visible or not!
Duane (05wingrider)
If/when I fill to the top of the filler neck I also find fuel dripping on the ground, below the fuel tank.
I have not yet determined the exact location of the leak but I assume it's from around the fuel level sender... (which I believe is installed THROUGH the top of the fuel tank)....Image

On my '96 Sahara the tank end of the vent hose connects to a fitting on the FRONT of the tank, very near the top....(not ON the top).
Mel
1Lotosrggp

Post by 1Lotosrggp »

Several years ago I took my Sahara in to be aligned, so I filled the fuel tank. During the alignment they found fuel dripping off the tank. They did other work in the shop so I scheduled to have the work done since I wanted to make a trip. What they found was the fuel line was in bad shape, the vent hose was rotten as was the filler hose.
Tom
97 Sahara 3550
3126 CAT 300hp
stuplich@ymail.com

1Lotosrggp wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:30 pm Several years ago I took my Sahara in to be aligned, so I filled the fuel tank. During the alignment they found fuel dripping off the tank. They did other work in the shop so I scheduled to have the work done since I wanted to make a trip. What they found was the fuel line was in bad shape, the vent hose was rotten as was the filler hose.
Tom (1Lotosrggp)
Fuel does not leak from either my vent line or filler hose.
I will have to drop the tank to investigate further.
Mel