Data Plate/ Coach I.D.?

Introducing... you! Say hi and tell us a little about yourself. Attach a picture of your coach if you like.
rekkerT

Data Plate/ Coach I.D.?

Post by rekkerT »

I'm "looking" at a 93 Trek, but seller is not too savvy about posting(no photos and its 3 hours away from me)..She claims it's 30 ft (but not likely, right?)
It has Electro-Majic bed, so thats a clue...
Where is the Data plate that gives model number? Sample photo would be helpful also
vanman1.1975@gmail.com

Re: Data Plate/ Coach I.D.?

Post by vanman1.1975@gmail.com »

Hey..I’m selling a 20002420 trek diesel..86000 well documented miles asking 20000…near Cincinnati Ohio..8593809777 doug
vanman1.1975@gmail.com

Post by vanman1.1975@gmail.com »

24230 oops
Mach182

Post by Mach182 »

I have a 1997 Safari Trek, and the data plate with VIN is on the left side of the entry door, near the door latch. The coach has the electomagic bed, and measures 27’ long. Hope this helps.
KG6ROB

Post by KG6ROB »

Well, the bed shouldn't be a concern, look at chassis mods, hopefully, engine miles, everything else is replaceable...
Trust me brother it's an older coach. You're not buying a new coach, but a solid machine with replaceable parts ie: water heater, ac units, refrigerator, and an amazing amount of suspension upgrades that makes it ride like a greyhound buss. I've lived in our 2001 SAFARI zanzabar for 12 yrs with my wife & 2 dogs. It's a great life. But the RV is only as good as you maintain it.
Respectfully, Rob Ringler
wolfe10

Post by wolfe10 »

KG6ROB wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2024 1:05 pm You're not buying a new coach, but a solid machine with replaceable parts ie: water heater, ac units, refrigerator, and an amazing amount of suspension upgrades that makes it ride like a greyhound buss. I've lived in our 2001 SAFARI zanzabar for 12 yrs with my wife & 2 dogs. It's a great life. But the RV is only as good as you maintain it.
Respectfully, Rob Ringler
Not sure I understand any comparison of a 2001 diesel pusher with a 1997 Chevy P chassis trek. VERY different beasts.

Absolutely, both require the proper "care and feeding".
Brett and Dianne Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'. Ex 1997 Safari Sahara. Ex 1993 Foretravel U240
Moderator, FMCA Forums 2009-2020
Chairman, FMCA Technical Advisory Committee 2011- 2020
Moderator, http://www.dieselrvclub.org/ (FMCA chapter) 2002-
astrnmrtom

Post by astrnmrtom »

Ask if it's gas or diesel and if it has an "edition" name, like Pathfinder.

If diesel, it'll be on a Isuzu chassis with a 4 cylinder turbo diesel. Not going to have a lot of power, but it will get better mileage. That engine was pretty bulletproof. We had a delivery truck at work with that engine/chassis and despite being beat to death, and having a bazilion miles, still just kept going.

If gas, it'll be a chevy P-chassis with a 454. Biggest weakness in the P-chassis is the bell cranks in the front end, especially the driver's side. Factory bell cranks are sleeve bearings and they wear out quick. Driver's side takes most of the load and wears the most. Can be replaced with Supersteer parts which have actual bearings. Google Supersteer bell cranks. The P-chassis can also suffer from the tail wagging the dog and rut tracking, especially in the longer rigs with more overhang past the rear wheels. I had a 32" Bounder on the same chassis, and I replaced the bell cranks, adjusted the steering box which helped a lot. Also replaced old worn sway bar bushings and end links with polyurathane. Both upgrades can be done with hand tools. You'll need a puller to remove the bell crank arms to swap out the bell cranks. Some people add panhard/track bars.

If you get it, and it's a P-chassis, if you get parts at the autoparts store, make sure they search for a motorhome version of the P-chassis. Some parts are different. Be aware the big block v-8s, like to crack exhaust manifolds, and break studs. When my exhaust manifold cracked, I replaced both with headers which gave a little more low end torque and solved the cracking issue.
Tom and Pris Masterson, w/ Buddy the 19 year old Siamese cat. RIP Buddy, 7/24
1998 Serengeti 3706
300hp Cat 3126, Allison 3060
900 Watts of Solar
17cf, Fisher & Paykel residential Refrigerator
Dragging four telescopes around the US seeking dark skies.