Hurricane Heater Remote Open

Introducing... you! Say hi and tell us a little about yourself. Attach a picture of your coach if you like.
Little Stinky

Hurricane Heater Remote Open

Post by Little Stinky »

I need somebody’s expertise. On my 2000 Safari Continental Panther I am getting no hot water when plugged in but does fine on diesel. I have showing on my indicator ( pic attached) “remote open”. Where is this or what is this. Has to be a simple fix. I had most of my hurricane replaced within the last six months. Appreciate any help I can get.
John & Martha Rowin
2000 Safari Continental Panther 40’
Little Stinky

Re: Hurricane Heater Remote Open

Post by Little Stinky »

Forgot pic.
10F0C1AE-B907-49E4-A1B8-90CF636CE9C1.jpeg
10F0C1AE-B907-49E4-A1B8-90CF636CE9C1.jpeg (2.16 MiB) Viewed 2759 times
John & Martha Rowin
astrnmrtom

Post by astrnmrtom »

Sorry for the late reply, I just saw this posting.

The "Remote Open" light is just indicating your remote switch is turned off. In electrical terms an open switch means the contacts are not closed resulting in an open circuit. You should see the light go off when you place the remote switch to "On."

No heat in electric - forgive me for asking but is the switch on for the electric coil? Safari liked to put the switch in various places. Mine is right next to the hot water heater and looks like a regular household light switch. I've read that another place is under the sink, or even in the storage bay near the Hurricane boiler. Some are marked "Hot Water", but mine has no markings except ON and OFF, and I didn't see it at first because it's located high on the wall of the hot heater compartment and not visible when standing.

If your switch is on, and it still isn't working, you may have a bad heating element. Again, Safari had electric heating elements in different places. Mine is on the front of the hot water heater, which is in my bathroom area below the closet. Another place is in the heat exchanger near the main unit.
Tom and Pris Masterson, w/ Buddy the 18 year old Siamese cat.
1998 Serengeti 3706
300hp Cat 3126, Allison 3060
900 Watts of Solar
17cf, Fisher & Paykel residential Refrigerator
Dragging four telescopes around the US seeking dark skies.
Little Stinky

Post by Little Stinky »

Thank you. Very well explained. Even I understood it. All working well now. Need windshield wiper motor and transmission for same and will be up to date. Again thanks.
John & Martha Rowin