Newbi arki hilbili

Introducing... you! Say hi and tell us a little about yourself. Attach a picture of your coach if you like.
hilbili

Newbi arki hilbili

Post by hilbili »

Looking at a panther 425 needs -
tires - $3g

brakes incl. mst cyl + calipers possibly rotors - availability-who rebuilds?

does mileage have more effect than age on torsilastic

fuel system - I'm aware of the hose disintigraton getting into pump!

exterior needs about $10,000 paint and body

Seeing examples around $50,000 would put this one at about $5000 w/carport
Last edited by hilbili on Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
stuplich@ymail.com

Re: Newbi arki hilbili

Post by stuplich@ymail.com »

hilbili wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:38 am Looking at a panther 425 needs
tires - $3
hilbili
Most truck repair shops can/will do motor coach brakes, (mst cyl + calipers + rotors)
Mel
'96 Sahara 3530, mine since '01
250 hp 3126 Cat, MD3060 Allison
hilbili

Post by hilbili »

Thanks! I'm capable, just reading about some parts not available on this chassis.
TDJohn

Post by TDJohn »

hilbili wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:38 am Looking at a panther 425 needs -
tires - $3g

Seeing examples around $50,000 would put this one at about $5000 w/carport
Calipers and brake pads you can get from NAPA. I've posted on here, as have others regarding a long list of brake parts and such. I would suggest doing a search on this forum for the brake parts. I also posted on the info of the outfit that sells the correct master cylinders and another outfit that sells and can rebuild the hydro boost units. Master cylinders are not a common failure, but getting air in the brake system due to wet brake fluid boiling is more common, especially on coaches that have been neglected, or sat for a long time. Also overheating the brakes, due to calipers sticking, will boil the brake fluid. So likely the master cylinder is fine and the system needs to be bled.

No, mileage does not affect the torsilastic suspension. These suspensions were common on buses in Mexico (very rough roads), and were known to easily exceed one million miles w/o any issues. That said, a Panther with the torsilastic suspension is problematic, as those coaches were too heavy for the springs. The best thing to do is install a supplemental airbag system to assist the overloaded torsion springs, and you should be fine. There were two members (Bill Edwards and Bob King) who installed a supplemental airbag system on their coaches, with good success. Search in legacy folder for Bob's install. Pioneer Metal Works and Henderson's Lineup Repair sells airbag kits that you could install. BTW, Safari also built Panthers on an 8 air bag suspension. This would a be a much better and smoother option.
Be sure to check ride height (25" from the belt line to the center of the wheel at all four corners). Also, count the amount of ride height adjustment shims left at each corner. Removing one shim at any particular wheel, raises the coach 1/4 inch. If there are no shims left, you won't be able to adjust ride height, unless you install a supplementary airbag system, and/or replace the torsion springs. The torsion springs and shackles are sill being made by Sulastic.com in Mexico, but the springs are not cheap. Unless you have a total spring failure (collapsed spring), your are much better off adding air bags.

The fuel filter should catch any fuel hose deterioration, unless there is a rubber hose between the secondary fuel filter and the engine.

Unless you can paint yourself or a friend can paint for you, it will likely cost much more then $10K.

What are they asking for the coach?

Bill Edwards owns a '99 Panther, so you might want to contact him. He has not been very active on this forum lately, so PM me if you want to get a hold of him..
John
'95 Serengeti, Cummins C8.3-300
Allison 6spd.
hilbili

Post by hilbili »

thank you for info
after searching this site more thoroughly, I looked at the mh again with a more informed eye. severe yard rash. velvet ride. I wouldn't offer more than 7500 including the carport. honestly looks like 40,000 would make this a $40,000 unit and I haven't even been inside yet. I work on my dads f5 ford chassis, but this is a big step mech wise. I've had the hydro boost before so thats no concern. just did the brakes on the cruise air, so that weighed on my worries.