Clean rear radiator

Introducing... you! Say hi and tell us a little about yourself. Attach a picture of your coach if you like.
ProCycle

Re: Clean rear radiator

Post by ProCycle »

Mel, it looks like you put an image in your last post but it isn't visible to be.
All I see is this:
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (19.02 KiB) Viewed 5083 times
Jeff
1997 Ivory Edition 3740 Cat 3126 Allison
wolfe10

Post by wolfe10 »

ProCycle wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 12:34 pm I can't see an opportunity to get access from the top. It would have to be under the surge tank.
At least on my coach the Intercooler is a couple of inches shorter vertically than the radiator. When I look in from the front I can see the bottom few rows of the radiator showing below the bottom of the intercooler. I suspect access from the bottom would almost - but not quite - look straight up into the gap. Maybe I'll make a small hole first. Just big enough to eyeball the situation.
Jeff,

Not sure I understand the problem. Have you raised the bed and looked inside the fan shroud? That should give you access to the front of the CAC, and as you say a few rows of the radiator core. That (the front) is where the vast majority of the dirt and debris will be deposited.

Yes, you can also clean the radiator from the back of the coach, but most of the debris will be on the front.
Brett and Dianne Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'. Ex 1997 Safari Sahara. Ex 1993 Foretravel U240
Moderator, FMCA Forums 2009-2020
Chairman, FMCA Technical Advisory Committee 2011- 2020
Moderator, http://www.dieselrvclub.org/ (FMCA chapter) 2002-
ProCycle

Post by ProCycle »

wolfe10 wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 3:59 pm Jeff,

Not sure I understand the problem. Have you raised the bed and looked inside the fan shroud? That should give you access to the front of the CAC, and as you say a few rows of the radiator core. That (the front) is where the vast majority of the dirt and debris will be deposited.

Yes, you can also clean the radiator from the back of the coach, but most of the debris will be on the front.
The front is perfectly clean. My concern is grass and leaves trapped between the CAC and the radiator. Just like in Mel's 'bird nest' photos. The way it's built you can't see in there. With a simple modification I will be able look with my own eyes and know it's clear.
Jeff
ProCycle

Post by ProCycle »

So I cut a 3-1/2" inspection hole in the bottom of the shroud as far rearward as possible. Above my new hole there is about a 1" gap between the radiator frame and the CAC with about a 2" gap between the cores. Looking up there with a light it's pretty clean. There are just a few blades of grass stuck into the fins. Nothing to worry about. I made a cap to cover the inspection hole.
radiator_gap.jpg
radiator_gap.jpg (269.9 KiB) Viewed 5077 times
Jeff
stuplich@ymail.com

Post by stuplich@ymail.com »

ProCycle wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 12:37 pm Mel, it looks like you put an image in your last post but it isn't visible to be.
All I see is this:
Capture.JPG
Jeff
No image, sorry

BTW I found that fabricating a shroud around the perimeter of the radiator, (between the rear grill (top) and rear cap, (sides and bottom), aids in cooling because it by prevents the engine heated air exiting the radiator from recirculating through the radiator.
Mel
'96 Sahara 3530, mine since '01
250 hp 3126 Cat, MD3060 Allison
stuplich@ymail.com

Post by stuplich@ymail.com »

ProCycle wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 4:59 pm The front is perfectly clean. My concern is grass and leaves trapped between the CAC and the radiator. Just like in Mel's 'bird nest' photos. The way it's built you can't see in there. With a simple modification I will be able look with my own eyes and know it's clear.
Jeff
Not my 'bird nest' photos.
Mel
'96 Sahara 3530, mine since '01
250 hp 3126 Cat, MD3060 Allison
ProCycle

Post by ProCycle »

Duh... That was Dwayne who posted the photos :oops:
Jeff
Knollibe

Post by Knollibe »

Sorry about the late reply. We just returned to Orange County from ouray Colorado. Happy to report no overheating issues. We did slow down on grades to about 40 mph crossing needles to Barstow with temps over 100. Slower speeds on uphill makes less heat.
Yes ther is upwards to 2” between cac and radiator.
If one were to makes acess holes in the shroud, these will need to be filled as that would allow cooling air to escape and not be pushed through the radiator. I do believe that the shroud could be loosened and pushed forward for inspection.
I am very satisfied with the outcome of our last trip. Cooling was quite satisfying.
Dwayne
96 safari Sahara chev Colorado toad 300hp cat.
Average 8.3 mpg
Dwayne
1996 safari Sahara since 2010
Chev Colorado zr2 toad, electric pedego bikes.
3rd motorhome.
ProCycle

Post by ProCycle »

Inspection hole with the cover in place:
Rad_inspection_cap.jpg
Rad_inspection_cap.jpg (151.02 KiB) Viewed 5053 times
Jeff
Glenn

Post by Glenn »

Hello all,
I've been following this thread with much interest. Keeping the radiator and the CAC clean is critical for proper engine cooling. Because of the radiator location, all the debris kicked up by six tires is then sucked up by the cooling fan and forced through the CAC and radiator. So keeping it clean is an ongoing part of routine maintenance. What I wanted to pass on to the group is something I discovered about the fan a couple years when I needed to replace mine due to damage. I had the same American Cooling Systems fan # 296256 that "Knollibe" provided a picture of in his post above. My fan did not appear to have been a replacement, so was most likely installed by either Caterpillar or Safari. No telling how many others are out there.

I worked directly with American Cooling Systems to identify the correct replacement fan. What I discovered is this fan has the wrong pilot hole at the center of the hub. The pilot hole's purpose is to center the fan on the mounting hub. Centering is critical because the fans are fairly heavy, and are balanced. If not centered on the mounting hub, the fan will vibrate in operation. Unnecessary vibration is never a good thing. The ACS pilot hole options for the various fan models is designated by the last three digits of the fan number, and are listed on the "Pilots and Bolt Circles" chart for each model fan. The 256 pilot hole is designated as a "Kysor" pilot, intended for installations where high torque may be applied to the fan, and is mounted to a hub with the same oval or "lemon" shape. The minor diameter of the Kysor pilot hole is 2.56 inches, hence the number 256. Our Caterpillar fan mount hub does not match the shape of the Kysor pilot hole in these fans. Our fan hubs have a 2 inch circular pilot for the fan mount, so the fan needs to have a 2 inch circular pilot hole so that the fan is precisely centered when mounted. The last three digits in an ACS part number for a 2 inch pilot are 200.

I also discovered, as was pointed out earlier in this thread that the #296 fan is no longer available in the 28 inch diameter we need, the maximum diameter currently available is 27 inches. ACS recommended fan #444 which is a nine blade fan and is available up to 32 inches in diameter. When you order this fan, and request a 28 inch diameter from ACS's distributer "Superior Turbo & Injection" they will cut a 32 inch fan down to 28 inches and then rebalance it. This is a standard process for them, and they did a nice job on mine. My new fan Part number is 444200.

Attached are a picture of the CAT fan mount hub, and another of the 296256 fan with the hub. In this picture you can see the miss match between the pilot hole in the fan and the 2 inch centering pilot on the hub.

All the information on fan models, hubs, and pilot holes are on the ACS website, www.americancooling.com.

You can also contact Bob Cooke at ACS for additional information, bcooke@americancooling.com or 616-954-0280 x6108

To order a fan from Superior Turbo & Injection, contact Josh Harsany at Josh@surperiorturbo.com or 313-842-4616 x921.
Attachments
Fan.jpg
Fan.jpg (136.74 KiB) Viewed 4932 times
Fan hub.jpg
Fan hub.jpg (68.26 KiB) Viewed 4932 times
Glenn B.
1997 Safari Continental 4006
CAT 3126 330