hot skin condition?

Introducing... you! Say hi and tell us a little about yourself. Attach a picture of your coach if you like.
stuplich@ymail.com

hot skin condition?

Post by stuplich@ymail.com »

Using using a non-contact tester I find that my coach has a 'hot skin' condition: But ONLY when/while the drum in the Splendide washer/dryer is ROTATING or SPINNING, (in the wash cycle, the spin/drain cycle and while drying).

NOT while filling with water, for wash or rinse ... NOT while the drum pauses when changing direction.

Can anyone suggest a FIX?
Mel
'96 Sahara 3530, mine since '01
250 hp 3126 Cat, MD3060 Allison
LeeTN

Re: hot skin condition?

Post by LeeTN »

Mel,
I use non-contact AC testers quite a bit and have found it takes very little voltage to trip them. In fact, to test mine before using I'll quickly run it down my shirt sleeve or pants leg...just that little bit of static electricity will make it blink and beep. Thus far, that method has worked on all versions of the testers I've owned over the last twenty years.

That being said, you may have a significant voltage much closer to the offending circuit (washer/dryer). I would use a good muti-meter and known good ground (at the campsite or home power connection... or a ground rod) to see what the AC voltage actually is on the surface of the bus. Then trace/work toward the washer/dryer. IMO... If any of the readings were over a couple of volts, that's reason for concern.

Sounds like you've been diligent in tracking down the source. I would check the surface (if metallic) of the washer/dryer. Maybe plug the machine into an extension cord connected outside the RV (and isolate it from the coach) and see if you still get stray voltage.

Often times you'll find that the white (neutral) wire has a loose connection somewhere and the AC will induce voltage into or other conductive surfaces. Or (if other surfaces are grounded) simply flow that direction since it's the path of least resistance. I'm sure there are some other more experienced members who can offer better advice on RV's. Hopefully, they'll contribute.

Lee
1993 Continental 40'
Cummins 300
Lee
1993 Continental 40'
Oshkosh Chassis -- Cummins 300 -- Allison 6sp
Glenn

Re: hot skin condition?

Post by Glenn »

Hi Mel,
If you are plugged into shore power, the coach chassis, skin, and AC electrical system ground should all be bonded together and through your power cord to a local ground rod. You might want to verify that you have continuity from the coach ground system, or the washer/dryer receptacle ground to the local ground point for your site. If there is good continuity, there shouldn't be any extraneous voltage on the skin. if there isn't good continuity (open or significant résistance) the problem is an open or loose connection somewhere in the coach ground system. You might also verify this by testing for voltage on the skin while operating other high power draw appliances such as the microwave or A/C units.

Connecting the washer/dryer to an external power source with an extension cord and checking the skin of the washer/dryer for voltage as Lee suggested is also a good way to verify that this is actually a washer/dryer problem and not a coach problem.

If you do verify that this is actually a washer/dryer problem, contact splendide at service@westlandsales.com or darrel.kline@westlandsales.com. Darrel is very knowledgeable on these machines and has been very helpful to me in the past. Also the Splindide service manual is quite useful.
Glenn B.
1997 Safari Continental 4006
CAT 3126 330