Another ScanGauge Disappointment

Introducing... you! Say hi and tell us a little about yourself. Attach a picture of your coach if you like.
rustyrobins

Another ScanGauge Disappointment

Post by rustyrobins »

Hi Folks,
This is a paid announcement, I paid, they laughed all the way to the bank. Don't do it! I did and I would do something different if I would have known. I should have read the post here more carefully, you tried to warn me. You know the story, my wonderful Safari Magnum IntelliDrive System gave up the ghost. I really liked it even though it was hard to read at times. Replaced with ScanGauge D. Not even half of the functions work and the backlite color display doesn't change to amber. (All other colors works, I wanted amber.) I am keeping it because where I put it is easier to read the speedo. I don't know about the other monitoring systems. The IntelliDrive plug has about 20 dins. My diagnostic port only has 6 and only 4 of those are wired up.(J1708) Does anyone know if there is an advanced system that would plug directly into the original Safari IntelliDrive plug? Or a new old stock Safari unit? Did I hear you say, "Good Luck!" sarcastically. lol The Safari unit had plenty of stuff that worked for me. Still love our coach. Thanks guys, I will pay attention next time.
Last edited by rustyrobins on Tue Dec 07, 2021 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Robert K

Re: Another ScanGauge Disappointment

Post by Robert K »

Try looking at the Bluefire system.
I looked at it but not seriously yet as my Intel drive works
Bob
96 Serengeti 37'
3126 Cat
6 speed Allison
2011 jeep wrangler towd
05wingrider

Post by 05wingrider »

I think the big problem is that our 96's don't have the diagnostic port set up with all of the inputs that the later models do, so the BlueFire may not work as well either since it uses the port for its data feed. I have the KR model and it has all the info that I was looking for, but I also had to make an adapter since it wouldn't connect to the port under the dash - it would hook right up to the one in the maintenance bay, but not the dash. I don't remember if I tried to change the color on mine or not.
Duane
96 Sahara 30', 250hp Cat 3126
Allison 6spd MD-3060
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk "Toad"
Spokane WA
rustyrobins

Post by rustyrobins »

Is it possible? My coach has the J1708 connector under the dash which has 6 dins and only 4 have wires connected to it. The same with the J1708 diagnostic plug in the back service bay, 6 dins holes and only 4 wires. The Safari Magnum IntelliDrive plug has about 30 dins only but 6 wires connected to it. The Intellidrive with gave a lot more information than ScanGauge D gives. The ScanGauge has 6 wires all the way into the display from the J1708 plug. Is seems that those 2 extra wires on the Intellidrive gave a lot more information to the display than the 4 wires coming from the J1708 plug. I don't think there is a problem with the ScanGauge, it just needs more input. I don't want to fry something but there is a temptation start connecting wires from the Intellidrive 6 wire output to the 2 open ports on J1708/ScanGauge input. I also found another diagnostic port under the dash with three wires. ????? (pic below) Any thoughts on this? Seems to me that ScanGauge should hook directly to the Intellidrive plug. Maybe just wishful thinking. The ScanGauge does a lot of stuff if it is hooked up right.
btw Duane, we are over in Puyallup on the wet side. We spend time in Spokane at Riverside SP hiking and birdwatching. We like that area a lot. Enjoy your backyard. Rusty
TDJohn

Post by TDJohn »

Rusty,

If I remember correctly, you can purchase and InteliDrive program and interface that will work off of your laptop or tablet.
John
'95 Serengeti, Cummins C8.3-300
Allison 6spd.