Transmission problems

Introducing... you! Say hi and tell us a little about yourself. Attach a picture of your coach if you like.
Little Stinky

Transmission problems

Post by Little Stinky »

On the road and check engine light came on. pulled over and stopped checked all fluids cooling system and everything is OK started back up and the light was off. About a mile or two down the road light came back on and transmission seem to not shift properly. Again stop for a while because it seem to be overheating. After cooling off we continued again and the light was not on but In just a few miles it came back on and my transmission is blinking a six. Any ideas before I call a wrecker. I am about 15 miles from home.
John & Martha Rowin
2000 Safari Continental Panther 40’
wolfe10

Re: Transmission problems

Post by wolfe10 »

Sure.

Use your transmission shift pad to check for DIAGNOSTIC CODES.

Ignition on, engine off.

Push the up and down arrows at the same time.

If O-L comes up, push the up and down arrows again at the same time.

That will bring up d-1 and numbers if there is a stored code. After recording d-1, press the mode button to bring up d-2, etc until you get a d- something followed by a - -.

Turn off the ignition.

Post results.
Brett and Dianne Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'. Ex 1997 Safari Sahara. Ex 1993 Foretravel U240
Moderator, FMCA Forums 2009-2020
Chairman, FMCA Technical Advisory Committee 2011- 2020
Moderator, http://www.dieselrvclub.org/ (FMCA chapter) 2002-
Little Stinky

Post by Little Stinky »

Thanks I’ll do that when I go out where I left it. Appreciate you taking the time to help me out.
John & Martha Rowin
Little Stinky

Post by Little Stinky »

Trans codes indicate battery voltage interruption to trans ECU. Discovered belt was off. Bought new belt and I believe it will solve a lot of my problems. Thanks to all.
John & Martha Rowin
wolfe10

Post by wolfe10 »

Excellent.

Yes, the ECU has to have a good connection to 12+ VDC.

A good idea with these symptoms to pull out your DIGITAL VOLTMETER and verify voltage. Remember connections are important-- on both positive and negative side. A good battery but loose or corroded connection can cause the same issue.
Brett and Dianne Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'. Ex 1997 Safari Sahara. Ex 1993 Foretravel U240
Moderator, FMCA Forums 2009-2020
Chairman, FMCA Technical Advisory Committee 2011- 2020
Moderator, http://www.dieselrvclub.org/ (FMCA chapter) 2002-
TDJohn

Post by TDJohn »

If you lost the belt, I would suggest checking the hydraulic belt tensioner. They are known to fail. On the CAT C12 the main belt also drives the water pump, this would explain why the engine was overheating, the overheating likely caused the engine to de-power. It would be good to try and remember these symptoms in case this issue reoccurres again someday in the future. Also, the Gates Green Belt is a superior belt that gives a very long life span.
John
'95 Serengeti, Cummins C8.3-300
Allison 6spd.