A/C runs; shore power yes, generator no.

Introducing... you! Say hi and tell us a little about yourself. Attach a picture of your coach if you like.
Little Stinky

A/C runs; shore power yes, generator no.

Post by Little Stinky »

Switched a/c over to generator and the a/c stopped. Checked generator switch, my inside breakers and fuses and all good. Any idea to help one who is not mechanical at all. Pics would be very helpful.
John & Martha Rowin
2000 Safari Continental Panther 40’
wolfe10

Re: A/C runs; shore power yes, generator no.

Post by wolfe10 »

Little Stinky wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 2:19 pm Switched a/c over to generator and the a/c stopped. Checked generator switch, my inside breakers and fuses and all good. Any idea to help one who is not mechanical at all. Pics would be very helpful.
Assume by "generator switch" you mean the on-generator BREAKERS. If not, turn them OFF and back ON.
Brett and Dianne Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'. Ex 1997 Safari Sahara. Ex 1993 Foretravel U240
Moderator, FMCA Forums 2009-2020
Chairman, FMCA Technical Advisory Committee 2011- 2020
Moderator, http://www.dieselrvclub.org/ (FMCA chapter) 2002-
Little Stinky

Post by Little Stinky »

Yes sir, did what you said. I’m hoping it is something simple.
John & Martha Rowin
wolfe10

Post by wolfe10 »

IF (yes, large IF) you are safe working around 120 VAC, the next step is to find out where you loose 120 VAC from the generator.

A handy place to check is the ATS (Automatic Transfer Switch). Check for power IN and power OUT with the generator running.

If not on the "generator IN" terminals, check the J box where the generator is wired to coach wiring on its way to the ATS.

If power IN, but not OUT, ATS issue.

It will not be from the ATS power OUT onward, as shore power follows the same path.
Brett and Dianne Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'. Ex 1997 Safari Sahara. Ex 1993 Foretravel U240
Moderator, FMCA Forums 2009-2020
Chairman, FMCA Technical Advisory Committee 2011- 2020
Moderator, http://www.dieselrvclub.org/ (FMCA chapter) 2002-
Little Stinky

Post by Little Stinky »

Thanks. Have power into the transfer switch from the generator but no power out I can push the little button in the middle to reset, and my AC and everything comes on if I hold it in. The thing is once I let it go it just popped right out again. I think you’re right I need an ATS. Now to see what that will set me back. Sure appreciate you and others that helped me out.
John & Martha Rowin
astrnmrtom

Post by astrnmrtom »

You could be looking at up to around $300 for a new unit, plus installation if you can't do it yourself. Find the brand and model and see if it's still available. My 98 uses a ESCO 50 amp ATS which is still available. If you can get an exact replacement, it should be a wire for wire swap. Take photos and mark wires, then remove the old unit and install the new one.

Before you write off the old one, make sure you are not connected to power, open the cover and tighten all the screws. Look for burnt or lose wires. A burnt wire is often sign of a bad connection. If you see one it may be the source of your problem. If so clean up the copper, repair the burnt insulation with either electrical tape or heat shrink, reconnect and try it.

Good luck.
Tom and Pris Masterson, w/ Buddy the 18 year old Siamese cat.
1998 Serengeti 3706
300hp Cat 3126, Allison 3060
900 Watts of Solar
17cf, Fisher & Paykel residential Refrigerator
Dragging four telescopes around the US seeking dark skies.
Little Stinky

Post by Little Stinky »

Thanks. I will try that.
John & Martha Rowin
canucklehead

Post by canucklehead »

I haven't looked closely at my ATS but ddi have cover off to replace my 50A shore power connection cord/male plug end. I read there are contacts activated by a solenoid you hear click so cleaning contacts might also be a cost saving option.