Running Lights wont go off

Introducing... you! Say hi and tell us a little about yourself. Attach a picture of your coach if you like.
dorismullinsagent@gmail.com

Running Lights wont go off

Post by dorismullinsagent@gmail.com »

I have a 99 Safari Zanzibar. The running lights will not go off. All I did was replace a 30A relay in the DS panel control board. Now, the camera is always on and the running lights. How do I turn these off?
TDJohn

Re: Running Lights wont go off

Post by TDJohn »

By DS control board, to you mean the electrical compartment that is located in front of your drivers side front wheel?

Can you please provide pictures of the control board and the relay you replaced.

What were your issues before replacing the relay?
John
'95 Serengeti, Cummins C8.3-300
Allison 6spd.
Safariowner

Post by Safariowner »

Had a friend with a Pather had the same problem after he replaced a relay. After checking everything else and a lot of frustration it turned out he replaced the relay with the wrong relay. Some relays turn off the current when power is applied, while most turn the current on when power applied. The confusion resulted in the number on the relay. Both relays had the same model numbers but one model had an A or some other letter added at the end of the number.
I would check that out before you start tearing everything apart.
Ed and Brenda
1999 4006 Continental
Ex: 1998 3706 Serengeti
Ex: 1993 33' Serengeti
astrnmrtom

Post by astrnmrtom »

2X on the wrong relay. Hope you kept the old one. Compare the part numbers and the schematic printed on the relay housing. Make sure it matches the old one, pin for pin. Pay special attention to the markings that show what contact is NO or NC --- N-ormally O-pen, or N-ormally C-losed. It may not be marked NO or NC so you want the picture to look the same.

In this example, pin 87a is NC, and pin 87 is NO. When the coil isn't energized, pin 87a has power, when the coil IS energized pin 87 has power. In the diagram you can see pin 30 is the "switch" and the coil flips it from pin 87a to 87 when energized. (Note: this relay is just an example to show what to look for, it's not necessarily the correct one I just grabbed a random image to attach)

If you tossed the old relay let us know. Tomorrow I can check the relays in my '98 Serengeti and take a photo if needed, if that would help.

By DS, I'm assuming you mean D-river's S-ide electrical panel.
Attachments
Relay example (Not necessarily the correct relay)
Relay example (Not necessarily the correct relay)
bch-0986ah0135_xl.jpg (18.4 KiB) Viewed 13232 times
Tom and Pris Masterson, w/ Buddy the 18 year old Siamese cat.
1998 Serengeti 3706
300hp Cat 3126, Allison 3060
900 Watts of Solar
17cf, Fisher & Paykel residential Refrigerator
Dragging four telescopes around the US seeking dark skies.