Introductions

Introducing... you! Say hi and tell us a little about yourself. Attach a picture of your coach if you like.
Mike

Introductions

Post by Mike »

This is actually my first post even though I was a member of the other group, I wasn’t able to figure out how to post or follow the topics. This transfer to a forum environment that I am familiar and very comfortable with is a welcome change.
I thought it would be nice if everyone posted a little about themselves and where they are from and their motorhome.
I’m from the Cincinnati area and I work for FCA. I have a 92 Serengeti safari that unfortunately was caught in not one, but 2 tornados. I’m at the point now if deciding what to do with it.
Enough about me, How about everyone else?
Ozzie

Re: Introductions

Post by Ozzie »

I was member of other website, but could not post messages also. My wife and I own a 1993 Serengeti that we take across country typically at least once a year. It has issues as all older vehicles do, but we love it. We live in San Diego county with our 2 dogs. Our next trip is in December to TN, returning in January. Hope to see others on the road.
buddaman

Post by buddaman »

fullsizeoutput_2e0e.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_2e0e.jpeg (402.15 KiB) Viewed 14673 times
I also was a new member of the other group, I'm glad for this one,
I have a 2001 zanzibar with less than 30k miles i just purchased Glad to be here.
Last edited by buddaman on Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
buddaman 2001 zanzibar
Jumpnjoe59

Post by Jumpnjoe59 »

I am a member of the safarifriends yahoo. Have owned a 1997 Sahara 3550 for 2 years. Hopefully this group will be as great as the yahoo group.

Joe George/1997 Sahara 3550, 300hp, 6 spd
btpete

Post by btpete »

Hi everyone... I've owned my Continental since 2012. It's affectionately named "The Money Pit" because I had more money into it for repairs than what I paid for it within two years of purchasing. And it's almost time to start thinking about a remodel :D

We just did some late autumn RVing at the McCall RV Resort in Idaho. Only our second time doing it in the snow (the first was a different RV). Fortunately, the resort has 50 Amp hookups, so we ran a little electric heater non-stop for the entire weekend, which worked just fine -- a good thing, because the noisy Hurricane furnace barfed last year and I haven't got around to repairs yet.
Attachments
IMG_2594a.jpg
IMG_2594a.jpg (699.28 KiB) Viewed 14747 times
Brian

1998 Safari Continental 40'
Cat 3126B 330 HP
2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Boise, Idaho
hjw

Post by hjw »

Hello everyone I was a member of the yahoo group (waspp) and am glad the group has moved to this format which imho is much easier to post and find information. My wife (a travel nurse) and i live full time in our 94 Safari Serengeti and have been on the road for a little over a year. We are both motorcyclists and tow a full size Chevy truck with our bikes loaded in the bed moving around to various hospital contracts.Our coach was a bit of a fixer upper (and seems to always need a little something) but in great mechanical condition with only 52k on the odometer. This group has been a great source of information and help on our journey!
Hal
94 Serengeti Duo door 8.3 cummins allison trans
ImageIMG_4014 by H W, on Flickr
94 Serengeti Duo Door
8.3 Cummins 6 speed Allison trans
99serengetti

Post by 99serengetti »

Hello, I was a member of the "other" group (yahoo). I own a 99 Serengeti, 37 foot, mid entry, 330 cat, 6 spd Allison, bought April of 2016. So glad to know ALL the information that was previously available to us is not going to be lost. I have used the Information many times to complete work successfully on my Motorhome and I am forever Greatful to so many for the HELP. Thank You for starting this new site, I look forward to helping and receiving help from members here.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (638.74 KiB) Viewed 14726 times
Russell
99 Serengeti
37 ft
330 hp Turbo Cat
6 spd Allison
Purchased April 2016
RSBILLEDWARDS

Post by RSBILLEDWARDS »

Joined Safari Friends 5 years or so ago. Members of Safari International and FMCA 10 years. We have owned 2 Safari’s, 2001 Zanzibar low mile coach and wonderful, and a 1999 Panther which we have now. I have been through both like a squirrel hiding pine nuts. Yes, my money pit and hobby that has taken us 60 thousand glorious miles over the last 10 years but mostly the last 4. Panther had less than 12 k on it when we picked it up 5 years ago, now 40K. I spent a business career owning a Porsche restoration business in Denver hence a reasonable mechanical perspective to lean on keeping this thing on the road. Happy Trails! Pictures later after I finish the paint work.
tworootless

Post by tworootless »

Hi all. Purchased our 2000 Safari Continental 39' 330HP3126B 4 months ago. Some issues when we started out. Still working on a few but, all-in-all coming together as a grand "Mansion on Wheels" as quoted by an acquaintance. :)
Stated full time in 2000. After 12 years of traveling hee and abroad we settled in Norcal 9 years ago. Sold the house 5 months ago to escape a higher cost of living, smoke filled air, and the occasional downpour accompanied with snow. Back on the road full time until we find another affordable homebase. "Pahrump, NV is on our radar after spending a month and a half there. Looking forward to meeting y'all at the Quartzsite get together in January 2020.
Bob & Annie DeSanti
Our new home.jpg
fpengr@gmail.com

Post by fpengr@gmail.com »

Purchased a very clean low mileage (19K) ‘98 Safari Serengeti from a reputable owner in 2018. Great detailed maintenance records. Am aware of the manufacturer’s demise and the shortcomings of the Goodrich “Velvet Ride” (rubber torsion bar) suspension system; the previous owner had installed every reputable aftermarket upgrade to improve it. Not crazy about it’s present handling, but can live with it. A/Cs and Hurricane boiler have already been replaced, as well as two cooling systems in the fridge. Installed an ARP monitor/controller and two fire suppression systems upon learning of the absorption systems challenges when operated in a non-level coach. If I had to do it again, I would have replaced it with a counter depth residential refrigerator.

I am a recently retired Navy civilian facilities fire protection engineer with a degree in mechanical engineering; and a lifelong “gear head”. I would recommend anyone taking on a twenty year old toy such as a motor home to have strong mechanical/electrical/structural envelope skills or very deep pockets and a reputable service center.

I appreciate the depth of knowledge, and the positive spirit members of this forum share it with. As I gain knowledge on this toy’s systems, I hope to be able to share helpful experiences with others.

I am a major buff of all technologies modern and classic. Believe one of this country's greatest accomplishments was the Apollo space program. Yesterday’s technology is an illustrated journey to where we are today.

Look forward to touring Route 66 and the Pacific Highway.

As the Standard Oil Company once advertised; "Happy Motoring!!!”
v/r,

W Taylor Hudson, Jr.
Black Creek, Florida (Jacksonville)
1998 Safari Serengeti (4060 side entry)
(1997) Caterpillar 3126, Allison 3060
Attachments
IMG_1809.jpg
IMG_1809.jpg (1.08 MiB) Viewed 14603 times