Seems like this web forum is lightly used now

This forum is a good place to discuss non-Safari stuff like destinations, travel info, etc.
chuckster

Seems like this web forum is lightly used now

Post by chuckster »

Our Safari coaches are older now and I notice a huge slowdown in posts around here now. In the last 3 years it has slowed down considerably. What do you attribute this to?
Chuck & Mitzi
'01 Safari Zanzibar 3646 (side entry)
Cat 3126B / Allison MD3060
Magnum M-Series "Blue Max" chassis
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland toad
stemo76

Re: Seems like this web forum is lightly used now

Post by stemo76 »

facebook pages seem to be more popular then the forums now.
2000 Harney Renegade 38ft
stuplich@ymail.com

Post by stuplich@ymail.com »

chuckster wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 8:08 pm Our Safari coaches are older now and I notice a huge slowdown in posts around here now. In the last 3 years it has slowed down considerably. What do you attribute this to?
chuckster
Because of the development of the many Safari RV related Facebook pages/forums Safarifriends.org is no longer the single useful place it once was. ... (Sadly this "improvement" has greatly complicated the acquisition of reliable Safari RV information).
Mel
'96 Sahara 3530, mine since '01
250 hp 3126 Cat, MD3060 Allison
TDJohn

Post by TDJohn »

To add to what Mel has stated, for a long time this group was geared towards mechanical, remodeling, technical type stuff, etc. Since many like to socialize on sites like FB, they naturally get more traffic. Personally, my time is very limited, and even though I don't mind helping the best I can, I sure as heck don't have time to waste socializing on FB and the like. Pick your poison, it's a no win situation, but at least the files and info is stored hear and much easier to find then on FB, at least that is what I'm told.
John
'95 Serengeti, Cummins C8.3-300
Allison 6spd.
wolfe10

Post by wolfe10 »

I have never been on Face Book (and don't intend to do so).

But, I have always been curious as to the quality/accuracy of mechanical advice on FB.
Brett and Dianne Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'. Ex 1997 Safari Sahara. Ex 1993 Foretravel U240
Moderator, FMCA Forums 2009-2020
Chairman, FMCA Technical Advisory Committee 2011- 2020
Moderator, http://www.dieselrvclub.org/ (FMCA chapter) 2002-
bsievert05

Post by bsievert05 »

I just joined and am thrilled to find this great resource. I bought a 2008 Cheetah a year ago and still trying to figure things out!
TDJohn

Post by TDJohn »

wolfe10 wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 9:21 am I have never been on Face Book (and don't intend to do so).

But, I have always been curious as to the quality/accuracy of mechanical advice on FB.
Ditto, I'm of the same mindset. To add to what you said, I also wonder if FB actually has file storage capabilities, where they have a section to store files like wire diagrams, etc.
John
'95 Serengeti, Cummins C8.3-300
Allison 6spd.
05wingrider

Post by 05wingrider »

Surprisingly we still have quite a few new member applications every week, so while it's slow, there are still people interested in our forum. I think one HUGE difference is that here 99.9% of the time when something is asked, people give an honest answer and try to help others out. One big issue on FB is that there's invariably a smart-a## that will post what they think is a cute dig/answer when someone asks a question, and I for one am turned off when that happens. There are some sites that have really good file systems, some not so much. I follow on multiple different groups because I want to learn - even other engines because there may always be that little tidbit that's been overlooked before.
Duane
96 Sahara 30', 250hp Cat 3126
Allison 6spd MD-3060
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk "Toad"
Spokane WA
2ontheroadplus1

Post by 2ontheroadplus1 »

I was thrilled to find a Safari Specific forum. Who knows better than another Safari RV'er! Even if it is not a subject on our list, it's a bank of info for when you do. Keep it up!
Attachments
Oak Creek RC Campground, Canton, Tx
Oak Creek RC Campground, Canton, Tx
20200112_135814.jpg (5.84 MiB) Viewed 35074 times
stemo76

Post by stemo76 »

TDJohn wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:01 pm
wolfe10 wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 9:21 am I have never been on Face Book (and don't intend to do so).

Ditto, I'm of the same mindset. To add to what you said, I also wonder if FB actually has file storage capabilities, where they have a section to store files like wire diagrams, etc.
They do. What they don't offer is sections. So you can't have a body area and a chassis area. Its all just in one topic.

Usually in these forums or FB pages the same typical questions come up over and over as new people purchase or get into something. I am surprised that Wikis are not more popular. It would be much more convenient to just keep one Wiki updated then having multiple threads rehashed over and over on the same topic.
2000 Harney Renegade 38ft