Looking for info on an SMC Slide where support beams go through Frame rail

Quenching your thirst for electro-hydraulic discussion
BeaverOwner

Looking for info on an SMC Slide where support beams go through Frame rail

Post by BeaverOwner »

I have an SMC Magnum chassis (Magnum D-series) with a Room Slide mechanism that has tracks or beams that extend through the frame rail on the left side. I have been looking for info on this Slide mechanism (a parts list, drawings,etc.).

The Slide Room is located on the front left and the storage compartments below move in and out with the Slide Room.

This Slide has a single hydraulic cylinder (by HWH, which makes all the other slide rooms) but the Slide mechanism is not made by HWH. Some say it may be a Power Gear mechanism, however I have found no drawings or info on the Power Gear website the resembles my setup. I found a brochure by Safari discussing this Slide (attached) - so I'm pretty sure it is their design.
SMC Slide Design.jpg
SMC Slide Design.jpg (277.43 KiB) Viewed 13106 times
Does anyone have this type of Slide.

If so, what model coach do you have, and do you know what make/model the slide mechanism is?
Attachments
Front Roadside Slide-out Slide2.jpg
Front Roadside Slide-out Slide2.jpg (298.69 KiB) Viewed 13106 times
Front Roadside Slide-out 1.JPG
Front Roadside Slide-out 1.JPG (293.19 KiB) Viewed 13106 times
- Mike
2005 Beaver Patriot Thunder 525HP C13
( SMC Magnum D-series chassis)
BeaverOwner

Re: Looking for info on an SMC Slide where support beams go through Frame rail

Post by BeaverOwner »

Another photo showing Slide room.
Beaver Patriot Thunder - Slides out.jpg
Beaver Patriot Thunder - Slides out.jpg (374.74 KiB) Viewed 13105 times
The closest drawing/info I found is this Power Gear mechanism (which is electric) but a guy with HWH said he thinks SMC/Beaver just used the HWH hyd cylinder in place of the electric motor since HWH Slides where used for all the other rooms.

Does anyone else have a Slide mechanism like this?
Attachments
Power Gear Slide-out Room vertical adjustment.JPG
Power Gear Slide-out Room vertical adjustment.JPG (60.57 KiB) Viewed 13105 times
Power Glide - Flat Floor Slide-Out - Long Stroke.JPG
Power Glide - Flat Floor Slide-Out - Long Stroke.JPG (172.31 KiB) Viewed 13105 times
- Mike
TDJohn

Post by TDJohn »

Mike,

Welcome to the group.

The diagrams you have attached appear to be the correct ones for your application. Yes, SMC did make there own slides, and they did use parts made by other manufacturers, like HWH and RVA. That said, your coach is an '05, so it was already built by Monaco, not by SMC. As far as I know, the REV group, who owns Monaco, has records and info on your coach, so they should be able to help you. They unfortunately do not support, nor have info on SMC built coaches. I know that on late '90s early '00s, SMC built Safaris had hydraulically actuated slides up front, and gear driven slides in the rear.

Also, if you have not joined yet, you might want to consider joining the Beaver Ambassador Club https://beaveramb.org/ they might have more info on Beaver Coaches.
This is about all I know regarding this topic, hopefully, someone with more knowledge will chime in and help you with the issues you are having.
John
'95 Serengeti, Cummins C8.3-300
Allison 6spd.
BeaverOwner

Post by BeaverOwner »

My coach is an '05 but from my research (I could be wrong) the 2005 Patriot Thunders and Marquis were still built on the SMC Magnum (Blue Diamond) chassis and assembled a the Beaver plant in Bend OR. It wasn't until 2006 that Monaco started build these coaches in their own plant.

Since my coach has the SMC Magnum chassis, I assume it has the SMC Slide mechanism too.

I am a member of BAC, but i have not received the information I'm looking for there.

Maybe someone here has info. Maybe there is no more info on this Slide mechanism.
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
The issue I'm having is that as the Room retracts it tilts too much at the top and it is scraping the wood trim on the ceiling.

I know I can raise the outside edge/face of the Room but I think that will lift the whole room and then my paint lines wont match. It appears to me that there must be a set of rollers in the tracks that is worn. There is an obvious bow to the tracks (support arms) you can see in the profile photos. I think this is normal (just from the weight of the room) but I need others to let me know if their tracks are also bowed like this.

Does this look there are a couple of roller a the the end of the inner support tube? If there are, and they are worn that might explain the tilt.
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (22.62 KiB) Viewed 13095 times
That item is not identified and I can't see that end of the support arm.
- Mike
RSBILLEDWARDS

Post by RSBILLEDWARDS »

YES It is a Monaco built coach built, 2005, upon left over chassis inventory from the SMC bankruptcy. I think it was a change made by Monaco in lieu of using the J II unit which they discontinued the use of. John may have a good point in that REV group may have what you are looking for.

Bill Edwards
1999 SMC Panther
BeaverOwner

Post by BeaverOwner »

Hi Bill,
I have the JII hydraulic leveling and the HWH air leveling, and the Slides are all hydraulic HWH Spacemaker units (except whatever that front roadside slide is - but even that slide uses a HWH hyd cylinder).

REV Group is useless. I called them before for some info and they said they can't help on any coach from the SMC/Beaver (and earlier Monaco) era.
- Mike
RSBILLEDWARDS

Post by RSBILLEDWARDS »

Beaver, it is now up to you and a little ingenuity. I 'd love the challenge to help you if you were on my route East after a 2 month stay in Arizona.
Look, sue some long blocks I would if you can use 4 X 4s to spread the load over a 3 or 4 foot length of the slides outer edge. It will take two of you but oe needs to look at the roller assemblies as the box is lifted looking for play in them. I do not believe it will take a lot of lifting to access this. You might have to visit Harbor freight to get a couple mirrors on a stick in order to look behind the rails. Hey if you have to buy some tools and same a bunch of aggravation dealing with someone that is learning too, you come out a head. This is not going to be difficult and I think you are on the right track.
Trekker01

Post by Trekker01 »

This may not be helpful, but my 1998 Sahara slide uses the hydraulic leveling pump (RVA) to power a motor engaged by gears to the two rails, powering the slide both in and out. It is on a Magnum chassis built by SMC. I believe the slide mechanism was designed jointly by SMC and RVA. Both no longer exist as they were in the past. I suspect that slide design was used until SMC (with Beaver (and Magnum) was purch ased by Monaco in late 2001, and probably until the start of the 2003 model year (mid 2002). The 2003 model year of both Safari and Beaver coaches were the first full year under Monaco's design. Monaco switched to Roadmaster (their in-house chassis) shutting down Magnum as a brand. Monaco was sold under bankruptcy in early 2009 and the new purchaser assumed no warranty responsibility and got no (or very limited) build information for the Beaver or Safari lines. Navistar was the purchaser. They kept Monaco and Holiday Rambler afloat for a few years and sold out to the REV group. Only a limited number of 2009 Safari and Beaver coaches were built or in progress when Monaco went bankrupt and Monaco RV came into existence.

What is your VIN number? It was assigned by the chassis maker regardless of which coach brand name was built on it. The first 3 positions of the VIN identify the maker. The 10th position is the year. Monaco actually discovered some Magnum chassis in 2003/4 stacked in a corner of the chassis facility that had never been used for any coach model, and designed a 2005 Safari Gazelle model to use the old chassis up (either 13 or 15 made). Maybe something similar in the Beaver plant, since Magnum had built their chassis from 1995/6 through the 2002 model year?
Gary
'98 Sahara 3006 300CAT
Member of SafariFriends since 2000
BeaverOwner

Post by BeaverOwner »

Hi Gary,

I've been researching the Beaver-SMC-Monaco history and have writen down everthing I have learned (of course there's conflicting info out there, so maybe it's not all correct) but this is what I learned (link to document https://1drv.ms/f/s!AtvAXw_lfqbToxXYREK9YdBP08Jn )
After Monaco acquired SMC-Beaver in late 2001, Monaco continued to build all of Beaver models, from Monterey on up in the Bend, Oregon facility (which Monaco assumed the lease on as part of the SMC/Beaver purchase), until June 15, 2005 when production operations were relocated to the Coburg, Oregon facility.

The 2003-2005 Beaver Monterey, Patriot, and Marquis were all built in the original Beaver factory in Bend Oregon, but were Monaco designed. They continued to use the SMC proprietary (Magnum) chassis but included minor Monaco changes. Obvious design changes that Monaco made in the 2003 and up models were the addition of slide-out toppers, Cummins engines in some models (as opposed to the Cat engines that were used exclusively by SMC), and the Monaco “Aladdin” engine monitor and on-board display system which used tank pressure sensors and could be displayed on all TVs (SMC used the “Silverleaf” monitoring system) and the HWH Room Slideout mechanism and Air leveling system.
So my 2005 Beaver Patriot Thunder is built on a "SMC Magnum D-series (Blue Diamond)" chassis. Even though the "Monaco brochure" calls it a Roadmaster M-series chassis, and my VIN number (1RFC05...) which lists it as a Monaco Roadmaster M-series. yes, it's confusing.
- Mike
BeaverOwner

Post by BeaverOwner »

BeaverOwner wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:47 am Does this look there are a couple of roller a the the end of the inner support tube? If there are, and they are worn that might explain the tilt. That item is not identified and I can't see that end of the support arm.
I did manage to get my camera up into the track (the part of track that is inside/in-between the frame rails) and I can now confirm there are rollers on the end of the support arm. I can't tell if the rollers are work or if the top edge of the guide rail is worn.
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (22.62 KiB) Viewed 12993 times
Beaver Power Gear slideout arm showing End Support Rollers.jpg
Beaver Power Gear slideout arm showing End Support Rollers.jpg (659.13 KiB) Viewed 12993 times
- Mike