Safarifriends yahoo group folders and discussions

If it's not Safari technical material, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, drop it here!
safari-admin
Site Admin

Re: Safarifriends yahoo group folders and discussions

Post by safari-admin »

Greetings to all!

The latest on the Yahoo group content migration:

1. A zip containing a CSV file with full message content from the very beginning in 2000 to the very end in 2019 is now available and attached to this message. A couple of data transforms were necessary to clean up the crud that Yahoo attached to messages, and I'm not convinced all the gunk is gone, but at least it's easier to read now, and it's searchable. You can view it in any spreadsheet software, or in a traditional text editor. If you are a Windows user, my suggestion is to install Notepad++ rather than using the native Notepad included with Windows, but that is strictly individual preference. Wordpad should also work. Personally, I use LibreOffice or a Linux text editor.

2. I've been in touch with a fellow about doing a data migration into this forum and the MySQL under it, he says he might have an answer by the 20th of the month. In the meantime, experiments are underway to explore alternatives for importing messages into the newly-created forum you may have noticed.

3. Pictures and images continue to present a challenge: there is a gallery add-on for phpBB, but it doesn't seem to work here. Possibly a mis-configuration in phpBB, but in the meantime it might make sense to upload a bunch of zip files to at least make them available for downloading. Comments and suggestion are welcome on this topic.

That's it for now, I hope to have further updates over the weekend.

Cheers,

Safari-Admin
Attachments
yahoo-safari-msg.zip
(11.15 MiB) Downloaded 263 times
safari-admin
Site Admin

Post by safari-admin »

Greetings all... you have likely noticed that a new forum named Yahoo Groups Legacy Content has been populated with content from the Yahoo groups site. All messages that were successfully exported from Yahoo are now preserved here.

In addition, file attachments that were originally uploaded to the Yahoo site were also exported, and are now present here as well, although it may be some time before they are all accessible. We are attempting to remap links from the old messages to the new file locations, and will review and update on that progress shortly. If you post new attachments here, those will be inline (that is, contained within the message you post) and will be visible to others by default.

Here are some examples of the uploaded attachments that are available:

attachments/1WMWiringHarness.jpg

attachments/1996 CAT Fuel Filters.jpg

attachments/3x2lightConv.pdf

Thanks for your patience during this project, it looks like there might be light at the end of the tunnel.

Safari-Admin
hilbili

Post by hilbili »

does the yahoo content show up in current searches?
05wingrider

Post by 05wingrider »

Hilbili,
When you do a search, it normally will include the older legacy files - however - I've noticed a few times where the wording has to be almost perfect to get some of them to appear. Wildcards in the search parameters seem to help find some of the older topics as well, plus you can scroll down and just search those files if so desired.
Duane
96 Sahara 30', 250hp Cat 3126
Allison 6spd MD-3060
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk "Toad"
Spokane WA