Safarifriends yahoo group folders and discussions

If it's not Safari technical material, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, drop it here!
Bilmac36

Safarifriends yahoo group folders and discussions

Post by Bilmac36 »

Good evening,
This is an open question to the members, and or moderators. I was of the understanding we are able to search the materials that were saved in the SafariFriends Yahoo group folders and discussions. Am I missing here on the Safarifriends.org where they are located. I know its been a long day, but I' think I've clicked all available tabs. Thanks for letting me know the answer to this mystery.
r/wm
'95 Continental, 8.3L, Ally
r/Willie
'95 Safari Continental, Cummins 8.3L, Allison MD3060
stuplich@ymail.com

Re: Safarifriends yahoo group folders and discussions

Post by stuplich@ymail.com »

Bilmac36 wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:25 pm Good evening,
This is an open question to the members, and or moderators. I was of the understanding we are able to search the materials that were saved in the SafariFriends Yahoo group folders and discussions. Am I missing here on the Safarifriends.org where they are located. I know its been a long day, but I' think I've clicked all available tabs. Thanks for letting me know the answer to this mystery.
r/wm
'95 Continental, 8.3L, Ally
r/wm
That is a good question.
(Hopefully we will get an answer).
Mel
'96 Sahara 3530, mine since '01
250 hp 3126 Cat, MD3060 Allison
Safaritoonces

Post by Safaritoonces »

I am guessing here but you might be referencing a post I started related to saving all the site content. This was done and the links were posted. There is a caveat however, to access the old posts of the last 20 years you will need to use a pc program called pgoffline. You can use the link below to find the presentation.

https://safaritoonces.org

That being said, there is an important alternative. I came across a post to the author of the above software from another Yahoo group forum that received assistance moving all their old messages over to the same software platform that we are now using. The cost was $100 US. I don't know if this is currently an option but if approved by the moderators I can look into it.

We / some of us, could each put in $5 and get this done if this is still something the developer will still do and if the cost hasn't changed.

In my observation a possible reason this site has dropped in posts and members commenting is because the posts detailing 20 yrs of experience and expertise is missing. I posted this in the past but it has not received the go ahead.
Robert and Bev Lewis
2000 Safari Continental, since 2017
3126B Cat, 330hp
MD3060 Allison
Bowen Island, BC

https://safaritoonces.org/
Bilmac36

Post by Bilmac36 »

Good morning Robert,
I do recall all the many discussions surrounding keeping the information. Recall folks (and myself) expressing their appreciation to you for downloading the material and the issue of having to have the program to pull it up. I also downloaded a good bit of folder materials to my harddrive. But I also recall the conversations of the individual who offered up this site and use of his servers to also populate the old information on here. And the one conversation in particular where he needed to know your back up date so he could decide whether to utilize it in populating the most up to date on this site. Hence, negating having to purchase the program you mention. I've stayed off here for a while being busy with my projects and to allow enough time for the transition to occur. But logging back on I've realized it has not. I realize it takes time to make transitions but was hoping by now the back fill of the Yahoo's group folder and comments would have made its way into a historical location here on the safairfriends.org site. Hence, my open question to the owner and moderators as to its location, in case i was missing it. I'm now wondering if it has become an issue of time vs effort, or if there are issues of corrupted data in making the transition, or something else in holding the population of the older files and comments.

Appreciate everyone's efforts in keeping an open source SafariFriends site and posting the numerous articles and post of skillsets. We do not want this to become a lost Atlantis and loose decades of the posted knowledge, skills, and abilities of responsible men and women who have helped carry forward a searchable information dateabase in maintaining one's home, coach, RV, etc. The skillsets of those who have freely given of their time should be maintained.
Thanks,
wm
'95 Continental, 8.3L, Ally 6spd, ...getting ready to come out of dry dock for its initial sea trails after extensive preventive and corrective maintenance upgrades!!
r/Willie
'95 Safari Continental, Cummins 8.3L, Allison MD3060
Safaritoonces

Post by Safaritoonces »

Hi Willie

New edit dec 7( I appologize... I think I missed the google spell check, and misspelled your name)

Yes, he contacted me and I think he has the information. I can update the archive if required.

The problem is related to the messages, the files and pictures are in a standard format. But for the messages there is no way to access the information from the message archive apart from using the pc program. This unfortunately denies access to many people who use a mac or primarily a cell phone. The only way to move the old messages into the new forum is to write PHP scripts to move the database fields into the new phpBB database. This takes programing work, hence cost.

All the best on floating the ship for her sea trials. I am still correcting the dilligent work of the horde of the incompetent.
Last edited by Safaritoonces on Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Robert and Bev Lewis
3126B Cat, 330hp
MD3060 Allison
Bowen Island, BC

safari-admin
Site Admin

Post by safari-admin »

Greetings everyone... just a quick comment on material from the old yahoo group. I've been spending some time working on ways to import messages into the underlying database that phpBB uses (MySQL). This has proven to be a challenge, both from a time perspective (my day job, various other obligations, etc.) as well as the technical considerations behind successfully migrating the useful content of a SQLite database into MySQL. While I continue to explore different approaches, I'm also open to the idea of spending some (of my) coin to have someone who has more database experience than I do lend a helping hand.

Another pertinent factor revolves around the last few entries in the old yahoo group from November-ish, which need to be captured and migrated to this group as well. I'm still planning to pick up those stragglers, but haven't got there yet. If someone else want to capture the last content and forward this way, I'd be grateful.

Thanks for your ongoing patience; as noted elsewhere, this migration effort is a project that takes time and has a few speed bumps along the way.
stuplich@ymail.com

Post by stuplich@ymail.com »

safari-admin wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:15 am Greetings everyone... just a quick comment on material from the old yahoo group. I've been spending some time working on ways to import messages into the underlying database that phpBB uses (MySQL). This has proven to be a challenge, both from a time perspective (my day job, various other obligations, etc.) as well as the technical considerations behind successfully migrating the useful content of a SQLite database into MySQL. While I continue to explore different approaches, I'm also open to the idea of spending some (of my) coin to have someone who has more database experience than I do lend a helping hand.

Another pertinent factor revolves around the last few entries in the old yahoo group from November-ish, which need to be captured and migrated to this group as well. I'm still planning to pick up those stragglers, but haven't got there yet. If someone else want to capture the last content and forward this way, I'd be grateful.

Thanks for your ongoing patience; as noted elsewhere, this migration effort is a project that takes time and has a few speed bumps along the way.
safari-admin
Thanks for those comments.
I appreciate your time and effort and I will patiently await a resolution.
Mel
'96 Sahara 3530, mine since '01
250 hp 3126 Cat, MD3060 Allison
Safaritoonces

Post by Safaritoonces »

Hi Admin-Brian

I will pull the missing messages, files and photos down from Yahoo groups and post a new download link in the next 2 days (by Dec 9).

As per the update of the old messages into the new database I will look into that and see if the developer might help.

With no intention to commit anyone else, if the developer will do this we can set up a paypal transaction to the deveoper and everyone that wants to can contribute a small amount to the work, $5 to pick a number. There is no reason to exclusively burden you with carrying the weight of setting up the site, doing the work and paying the costs. There are many people that have expressed the willingness to help and I can speak for the majority here, we appreciate all that you have done.
Robert and Bev Lewis
3126B Cat, 330hp
MD3060 Allison
Bowen Island, BC

Safaritoonces

Post by Safaritoonces »

Admin

Here is the link to all the new messages as of 2019-12-10. One caveat is that this may be just the messages since the last download. I am not certain that Yahoo has not now restricted the download. This file size is only 45M, whereas it was about 5 times larger a month ago. However the links to the previous file sets are still valid and definitely have the original messages.

Please let me know if I have missed anything. I have not attempted to download any files after Nov 29 as that was the cut off.

The first file set below also contains all the members from the group which will be needed for the migration.

The developer replied to my request and can not do the migration. He is working on a solution with someone else but does not have a time line so I don't think we can count on him. If I come across another resource I will let you know.

http://2019-12-10-safari-friends.s3.ama ... b5lvEzw%3D

This is the original datafile set.
http://08-aug-2014.s3.amazonaws.com/201 ... VBmkH3g%3D
Robert and Bev Lewis
3126B Cat, 330hp
MD3060 Allison
Bowen Island, BC

safari-admin
Site Admin

Post by safari-admin »

Thank you Robert for pulling the last messages from the old Yahoo group, I've downloaded both links and will look to incorporate into the data import process.

A work-related IT project that has consumed most of my time in the last three weeks is wrapping up, leaving some spare cycles to resume efforts on migrating data for this group.

One additional thought before diving back into MySQL stuff: user accounts from the Yahoo group are not currently planned for migration into this one; rather, users should create a new account here, if they have not already done so. It is possible that when the message import function is built, messages will include user names from Yahoo, but they will not be user accounts here.

As always, thanks for your patience.

safari-admin