Replacing Exterior Water Heater Door

If it's not Safari technical material, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, drop it here!
Safari98

Replacing Exterior Water Heater Door

Post by Safari98 »

I have a ‘98 Safari Trek on which I recently lost the exterior water heater door while traveling.

From research, I was able to find a door replacement for the Suburban 6 gallon heater model I have.

When it arrived the “kit” contained the door and new exterior bezel all in one. It appears that the exiting entire exterior bezel must be removed and replaced by the new bezel and door “kit”

My questions:

Has anyone done this work before ? Are there helpful hints or videos anywhere that guide the process ?

Thanks, Ron (Safari98)
05wingrider

Re: Replacing Exterior Water Heater Door

Post by 05wingrider »

Replacing the bezel is time consuming since some of them have sealant under them, but it's not an impossible task. There are usually 2 screws that go into the body of the water heater that hold the bezel in place - remove the screws, then gently pry the old bezel away from the body of your rig. I found that the nylon plastic scrapers at places like Lowes and Home Depot work great for being able to insert along the edge between the bezel and the body, gently working it along the entire perimeter. I had an old milk jug that I cut into strips to put along the edge of my RV when I replaced mine so that the scraper wasn't actually resting on the side, it was on the plastic to keep it from marring the side of my rig.
Duane
96 Sahara 30', 250hp Cat 3126
Allison 6spd MD-3060
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk "Toad"
Spokane WA
curry

Re: Replacing Exterior Water Heater Door

Post by curry »

I just used the door. I kept the bezel. Ir's still in the garage in the original box. It wasn't hard.