Re: Deleting posts, was : Re: Diesel fuel smell, in basement /with f

Staging area for content imported from the old Yahoo group. This forum is LOCKED. Moderators may edit content and relocate to other forums as appropriate.
stuplich@ymail.com

Diesel fuel smell, in basement /with furnace

Post by stuplich@ymail.com »

'The first time I use the LP furnace each season, I get a diesel fuel smell in the hot air output. It seems to go away after a few heat cycles. (I may just get used to it).
I can also detect a slight diesel fuel odor anytime I open a basement compartment door.
Both of these conditions have occured ever since I got this 1996 Sahara, in 2001, with 27,000 mi. (now 115,000).
I hope it is not caused by the fuel lines seeping. I have heard rumors of that happening. (Have not seen any forum posts).
As you may know, the fuel line(s) run from the tank (front), to the engine (rear), inside one of the "C" frame rails and well hidden by the three water tanks. It seems nearly impossible to inspect or replace.(I know, "The impossible just costs a LITTLE more)!
(I wonder if the smell in post #8662 is the same).
Has anyone any experiance with, or knowledge of, anything like this?
Mel'
Mel
'96 Sahara 3530, mine since '01
250 hp 3126 Cat, MD3060 Allison
Charles Gatzka

Re: Diesel fuel smell, in basement /with furnace

Post by Charles Gatzka »

'Hello fellow Safari owner.  I have a 98 Continental  and smelled the diesel smell in the bays and john after about two years on the road.  Talked to a tech rep at a Safari Homecoming rally in Harrisburg in 2001.  I found out that my smell problem was caused by what you call seepage in the lines.  A friend of mine with a 98 Ivory also had the same problem. The tech said it was a manufacturing goof and that Safari had a suit against the manufacturer. When  Safari had the overheat installation kit installed to correct the overheating problem outlined by Howard Chase earlier they also replaced the diesel fuel hoses. Some of the smell remained.To get rid of the smell in the bays I used Bounce sheets.  After a few treatments the odor seemed to have faded out. Good luck on correcting your problem.
Chuck Gatzka

To: Safarifriends@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Thu, July 1, 2010 1:16:07 PM
Subject: [Safarifriends] Diesel fuel smell, in basement /with furnace

The first time I use the LP furnace each season, I get a diesel fuel smell in the hot air output. It seems to go away after a few heat cycles. (I may just get used to it).
I can also detect a slight diesel fuel odor anytime I open a basement compartment door.
Both of these conditions have occured ever since I got this 1996 Sahara, in 2001, with 27,000 mi. (now 115,000).
I hope it is not caused by the fuel lines seeping. I have heard rumors of that happening. (Have not seen any forum posts).
As you may know, the fuel line(s) run from the tank (front), to the engine (rear), inside one of the "C" frame rails and well hidden by the three water tanks. It seems nearly impossible to inspect or replace.(I know, "The impossible just costs a LITTLE more)!
(I wonder if the smell in post #8662 is the same).
Has anyone any experiance with, or knowledge of, anything like this?
Mel

'
stuplich@ymail.com

Post by stuplich@ymail.com »

'Chuck,
Thank you for your reply. Apperently seeping fuel lines are more than a rumor.
Is it possible that Gary's '94 Sahara (see message #8662), my '96 Sahara, and Chuck's '98 Continental are the only three coaches manufactured in those five years of production that have had diesel fuel smells in the basement and in the furnace heated air?
I am hoping fuel line seepage is not causing the smell in either Gary's, or my coach. Chuck, you are lucky that you had yours replaced. I hope that Safari covered the cost in 2001.
I did have my fresh water tank out, a few years ago, and I was able to inspect the frontmost 5' or 6' of the fuel lines and heater hoses, they looked OK. I remember that I noted at the time that it would be a nightmare if either ever needed replacement.

I have the following questions for ALL SAFARI owners, and former owners. (Especially of 1994 through 1998 models):
HAS ANYONE ELSE HAD DIESEL FUEL SMELLS FROM THESE AREAS?
If so, did you locate and repair or just live with it?

Mel

--- In Safarifriends@yahoogroups.com, Charles Gatzka wrote:
>
> Hello fellow Safari owner. I have a 98 Continental and smelled the diesel smell in the bays and john after about two years on the road. Talked to a tech rep at a Safari Homecoming rally in Harrisburg in 2001. I found out that my smell problem was caused by what you call seepage in the lines. A friend of mine with a 98 Ivory also had the same problem. The tech said it was a manufacturing goof and that Safari had a suit against the manufacturer.
> When Safari had the overheat installation kit installed to correct the overheating problem outlined by Howard Chase earlier they also replaced the diesel fuel hoses. Some of the smell remained.
> To get rid of the smell in the bays I used Bounce sheets. After a few treatments the odor seemed to have faded out.
> Good luck on correcting your problem.
>
> Chuck Gatzka
>
>
>
>
> ________________________________
> From: "stuplich@..."
> To: Safarifriends@yahoogroups.com
> Sent: Thu, July 1, 2010 1:16:07 PM
> Subject: [Safarifriends] Diesel fuel smell, in basement /with furnace
>
>
> The first time I use the LP furnace each season, I get a diesel fuel smell in the hot air output. It seems to go away after a few heat cycles. (I may just get used to it).
> I can also detect a slight diesel fuel odor anytime I open a basement compartment door.
> Both of these conditions have occured ever since I got this 1996 Sahara, in 2001, with 27,000 mi. (now 115,000).
> I hope it is not caused by the fuel lines seeping. I have heard rumors of that happening. (Have not seen any forum posts).
> As you may know, the fuel line(s) run from the tank (front), to the engine (rear), inside one of the "C" frame rails and well hidden by the three water tanks. It seems nearly impossible to inspect or replace.(I know, "The impossible just costs a LITTLE more)!
> (I wonder if the smell in post #8662 is the same).
> Has anyone any experiance with, or knowledge of, anything like this?
> Mel
>
'
Mel
'96 Sahara 3530, mine since '01
250 hp 3126 Cat, MD3060 Allison
Norm

Post by Norm »

'I have the fuel smell in the basement of my 1998 Serengeti.  Not sure it's from a seeping fuel line as it goes away after being parked for a couple of weeks.  Never smell it inside the coach or through the heating system.  I've just been ignoring it.  
Norm
From the Hermitmobile

On Jul 1, 2010, at 11:21 PM, stuplich@... wrote:

Chuck,
Is it possible that Gary's '94 Sahara (see message #8662), my '96 Sahara, and Chuck's '98 Continental are the only three coaches manufactured in those five years of production that have had diesel fuel smells in the basement and in the furnace heated air?
I am hoping fuel line seepage is not causing the smell in either Gary's, or my coach. Chuck, you are lucky that you had yours replaced. I hope that Safari covered the cost in 2001.
I did have my fresh water tank out, a few years ago, and I was able to inspect the frontmost 5' or 6' of the fuel lines and heater hoses, they looked OK. I remember that I noted at the time that it would be a nightmare if either ever needed replacement.

I have the following questions for ALL SAFARI owners, and former owners. (Especially of 1994 through 1998 models):

Mel

--- In Safarifriends%40yahoogroups.com, Charles Gatzka wrote:
>
> Hello fellow Safari owner. I have a 98 Continental and smelled the diesel smell in the bays and john after about two years on the road. Talked to a tech rep at a Safari Homecoming rally in Harrisburg in 2001. I found out that my smell problem was caused by what you call seepage in the lines. A friend of mine with a 98 Ivory also had the same problem. The tech said it was a manufacturing goof and that Safari had a suit against the manufacturer.
> When Safari had the overheat installation kit installed to correct the overheating problem outlined by Howard Chase earlier they also replaced the diesel fuel hoses. Some of the smell remained.
> To get rid of the smell in the bays I used Bounce sheets. After a few treatments the odor seemed to have faded out.
>
> Chuck Gatzka
>
>
>
>
> To: Safarifriends%40yahoogroups.com
>
>
> The first time I use the LP furnace each season, I get a diesel fuel smell in the hot air output. It seems to go away after a few heat cycles. (I may just get used to it).
> I can also detect a slight diesel fuel odor anytime I open a basement compartment door.
> Both of these conditions have occured ever since I got this 1996 Sahara, in 2001, with 27,000 mi. (now 115,000).
> I hope it is not caused by the fuel lines seeping. I have heard rumors of that happening. (Have not seen any forum posts).
> As you may know, the fuel line(s) run from the tank (front), to the engine (rear), inside one of the "C" frame rails and well hidden by the three water tanks. It seems nearly impossible to inspect or replace.(I know, "The impossible just costs a LITTLE more)!
> Mel
>
'
Dave Guyer

Post by Dave Guyer »

'Yes, mine smelled at first. Bought it about a year ago. The smell is 98%
gone with no replacement.

stuplich@... wrote:
>
> Chuck,
> Thank you for your reply. Apperently seeping fuel lines are more than
> a rumor.
> Is it possible that Gary's '94 Sahara (see message #8662), my '96
> Sahara, and Chuck's '98 Continental are the only three coaches
> manufactured in those five years of production that have had diesel
> fuel smells in the basement and in the furnace heated air?
> I am hoping fuel line seepage is not causing the smell in either
> Gary's, or my coach. Chuck, you are lucky that you had yours replaced.
> I hope that Safari covered the cost in 2001.
> I did have my fresh water tank out, a few years ago, and I was able to
> inspect the frontmost 5' or 6' of the fuel lines and heater hoses,
> they looked OK. I remember that I noted at the time that it would be a
> nightmare if either ever needed replacement.
>
> I have the following questions for ALL SAFARI owners, and former
> owners. (Especially of 1994 through 1998 models):
> HAS ANYONE ELSE HAD DIESEL FUEL SMELLS FROM THESE AREAS?
> If so, did you locate and repair or just live with it?
>
> Mel
>
> --- In Safarifriends@yahoogroups.com
> , Charles Gatzka
> wrote:
> >
> > Hello fellow Safari owner. I have a 98 Continental and smelled the
> diesel smell in the bays and john after about two years on the road.
> Talked to a tech rep at a Safari Homecoming rally in Harrisburg in
> 2001. I found out that my smell problem was caused by what you call
> seepage in the lines. A friend of mine with a 98 Ivory also had the
> same problem. The tech said it was a manufacturing goof and that
> Safari had a suit against the manufacturer.
> > When Safari had the overheat installation kit installed to correct
> the overheating problem outlined by Howard Chase earlier they also
> replaced the diesel fuel hoses. Some of the smell remained.
> > To get rid of the smell in the bays I used Bounce sheets. After a
> few treatments the odor seemed to have faded out.
> > Good luck on correcting your problem.
> >
> > Chuck Gatzka
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > ________________________________
> > From: "stuplich@..."
> > To: Safarifriends@yahoogroups.com
>
> > Sent: Thu, July 1, 2010 1:16:07 PM
> > Subject: [Safarifriends] Diesel fuel smell, in basement /with furnace
> >
> >
> > The first time I use the LP furnace each season, I get a diesel fuel
> smell in the hot air output. It seems to go away after a few heat
> cycles. (I may just get used to it).
> > I can also detect a slight diesel fuel odor anytime I open a
> basement compartment door.
> > Both of these conditions have occured ever since I got this 1996
> Sahara, in 2001, with 27,000 mi. (now 115,000).
> > I hope it is not caused by the fuel lines seeping. I have heard
> rumors of that happening. (Have not seen any forum posts).
> > As you may know, the fuel line(s) run from the tank (front), to the
> engine (rear), inside one of the "C" frame rails and well hidden by
> the three water tanks. It seems nearly impossible to inspect or
> replace.(I know, "The impossible just costs a LITTLE more)!
> > (I wonder if the smell in post #8662 is the same).
> > Has anyone any experiance with, or knowledge of, anything like this?
> > Mel
> >
>
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>
> No virus found in this incoming message.
> Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
> Version: 8.5.439 / Virus Database: 271.1.1/2976 - Release Date: 07/01/10 18:35:00
>
>
'
hellodoug500@yahoo.com

Post by hellodoug500@yahoo.com »

'

Live with it. Its 'mild' - except for when the CAT started pumping the crankcase full of diesel fuel. Then it got bad.

Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerryFrom: "stuplich@..."
Sender: Safarifriends@yahoogroups.com
Date: Fri, 02 Jul 2010 06:21:25 -0000To: ReplyTo: Safarifriends@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Safarifriends] Re: Diesel fuel smell, in basement /with furnace

Chuck,

Mel
--- In Safarifriends%40yahoogroups.com, Charles Gatzka wrote:
>
>
> Chuck Gatzka
>
>
>
>
> To: Safarifriends%40yahoogroups.com
>
>
> Mel
>

'
KarenInTheWoods *

Post by KarenInTheWoods * »

'Yup.. us too... just a whiff now and then after it's been closed for awhile
but i did notice a fuel smell on some jackets we stored down below.  I think if storing clothing, it should be sealed in space bags and into a tote with a tight fitting lid
(camping right now up in the woods... its a great day with all sunshine, no clouds, slight breeze, 74 degrees and low humidity... what more can we ask for????) 

--
KarenInTheWoods
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
(Our Blog) RVing: Small House... BIG Backyard
http://kareninthewoods-kareninthewoods.blogspot.com/
(Camping/Family Photos)  http://picasaweb.google.com/pfundt/
(Weaving Photos)             http://picasaweb.google.com/KarenInTheWoods1
(All About Me)                   http://kareninthewoods.com
(Handwoven E-Stores)     http://kareninthewoods.etsy.com/
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

'
CarlE

Post by CarlE »

'I have the fuel smell in the basement of my 97 Serengeti. It's not really strong, but certainly there. So far I have just ignored it. However, if it gets worse I believe it would have to be dealt with in some manner.

CarlGeo
--- In Safarifriends@yahoogroups.com, Norm wrote:
>
> I have the fuel smell in the basement of my 1998 Serengeti. Not sure it's from a seeping fuel line as it goes away after being parked for a couple of weeks. Never smell it inside the coach or through the heating system. I've just been ignoring it.
>
> Norm
> From the Hermitmobile
>
>
>
>
>
> On Jul 1, 2010, at 11:21 PM, stuplich@... wrote:
>
> > Chuck,
> > Thank you for your reply. Apperently seeping fuel lines are more than a rumor.
> > Is it possible that Gary's '94 Sahara (see message #8662), my '96 Sahara, and Chuck's '98 Continental are the only three coaches manufactured in those five years of production that have had diesel fuel smells in the basement and in the furnace heated air?
> > I am hoping fuel line seepage is not causing the smell in either Gary's, or my coach. Chuck, you are lucky that you had yours replaced. I hope that Safari covered the cost in 2001.
> > I did have my fresh water tank out, a few years ago, and I was able to inspect the frontmost 5' or 6' of the fuel lines and heater hoses, they looked OK. I remember that I noted at the time that it would be a nightmare if either ever needed replacement.
> >
> > I have the following questions for ALL SAFARI owners, and former owners. (Especially of 1994 through 1998 models):
> > HAS ANYONE ELSE HAD DIESEL FUEL SMELLS FROM THESE AREAS?
> > If so, did you locate and repair or just live with it?
> >
> > Mel
> >
> > --- In Safarifriends@yahoogroups.com, Charles Gatzka wrote:
> > >
> > > Hello fellow Safari owner. I have a 98 Continental and smelled the diesel smell in the bays and john after about two years on the road. Talked to a tech rep at a Safari Homecoming rally in Harrisburg in 2001. I found out that my smell problem was caused by what you call seepage in the lines. A friend of mine with a 98 Ivory also had the same problem. The tech said it was a manufacturing goof and that Safari had a suit against the manufacturer.
> > > When Safari had the overheat installation kit installed to correct the overheating problem outlined by Howard Chase earlier they also replaced the diesel fuel hoses. Some of the smell remained.
> > > To get rid of the smell in the bays I used Bounce sheets. After a few treatments the odor seemed to have faded out.
> > > Good luck on correcting your problem.
> > >
> > > Chuck Gatzka
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > ________________________________
> > > From: "stuplich@"
> > > To: Safarifriends@yahoogroups.com
> > > Sent: Thu, July 1, 2010 1:16:07 PM
> > > Subject: [Safarifriends] Diesel fuel smell, in basement /with furnace
> > >
> > >
> > > The first time I use the LP furnace each season, I get a diesel fuel smell in the hot air output. It seems to go away after a few heat cycles. (I may just get used to it).
> > > I can also detect a slight diesel fuel odor anytime I open a basement compartment door.
> > > Both of these conditions have occured ever since I got this 1996 Sahara, in 2001, with 27,000 mi. (now 115,000).
> > > I hope it is not caused by the fuel lines seeping. I have heard rumors of that happening. (Have not seen any forum posts).
> > > As you may know, the fuel line(s) run from the tank (front), to the engine (rear), inside one of the "C" frame rails and well hidden by the three water tanks. It seems nearly impossible to inspect or replace.(I know, "The impossible just costs a LITTLE more)!
> > > (I wonder if the smell in post #8662 is the same).
> > > Has anyone any experiance with, or knowledge of, anything like this?
> > > Mel
> > >
> >
> >
>
'
randy.kenagy

Post by randy.kenagy »

'Mild but noticeable odor.  Sometimes stronger sometimes hardly there.  We've only owned it for 6 weeks, and it is the first diesel I've ever owned, so I figured it was just my nose getting accustomed to life with a diesel pusher.  Glad you asked.  Thanks.
RK98 Sahara
--- In Safarifriends@yahoogroups.com, "stuplich@..." wrote:
>
> Chuck,
> Thank you for your reply. Apperently seeping fuel lines are more than a rumor.
> Is it possible that Gary's '94 Sahara (see message #8662), my '96 Sahara, and Chuck's '98 Continental are the only three coaches manufactured in those five years of production that have had diesel fuel smells in the basement and in the furnace heated air?
> I am hoping fuel line seepage is not causing the smell in either Gary's, or my coach. Chuck, you are lucky that you had yours replaced. I hope that Safari covered the cost in 2001.
> I did have my fresh water tank out, a few years ago, and I was able to inspect the frontmost 5' or 6' of the fuel lines and heater hoses, they looked OK. I remember that I noted at the time that it would be a nightmare if either ever needed replacement.
>
> I have the following questions for ALL SAFARI owners, and former owners. (Especially of 1994 through 1998 models):
> HAS ANYONE ELSE HAD DIESEL FUEL SMELLS FROM THESE AREAS?
> If so, did you locate and repair or just live with it?
>
> Mel
>
>
>
> --- In Safarifriends@yahoogroups.com, Charles Gatzka cdgatz@ wrote:
> >
> > Hello fellow Safari owner. I have a 98 Continental and smelled the diesel smell in the bays and john after about two years on the road. Talked to a tech rep at a Safari Homecoming rally in Harrisburg in 2001. I found out that my smell problem was caused by what you call seepage in the lines. A friend of mine with a 98 Ivory also had the same problem. The tech said it was a manufacturing goof and that Safari had a suit against the manufacturer.
> > When Safari had the overheat installation kit installed to correct the overheating problem outlined by Howard Chase earlier they also replaced the diesel fuel hoses. Some of the smell remained.
> > To get rid of the smell in the bays I used Bounce sheets. After a few treatments the odor seemed to have faded out.
> > Good luck on correcting your problem.
> >
> > Chuck Gatzka
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > ________________________________
> > From: "stuplich@" stuplich@
> > To: Safarifriends@yahoogroups.com
> > Sent: Thu, July 1, 2010 1:16:07 PM
> > Subject: [Safarifriends] Diesel fuel smell, in basement /with furnace
> >
> >
> > The first time I use the LP furnace each season, I get a diesel fuel smell in the hot air output. It seems to go away after a few heat cycles. (I may just get used to it).
> > I can also detect a slight diesel fuel odor anytime I open a basement compartment door.
> > Both of these conditions have occured ever since I got this 1996 Sahara, in 2001, with 27,000 mi. (now 115,000).
> > I hope it is not caused by the fuel lines seeping. I have heard rumors of that happening. (Have not seen any forum posts).
> > As you may know, the fuel line(s) run from the tank (front), to the engine (rear), inside one of the "C" frame rails and well hidden by the three water tanks. It seems nearly impossible to inspect or replace.(I know, "The impossible just costs a LITTLE more)!
> > (I wonder if the smell in post #8662 is the same).
> > Has anyone any experiance with, or knowledge of, anything like this?
> > Mel
> >
>
'
railsaw

Post by railsaw »

'--- In Safarifriends@yahoogroups.com, "CarlE" wrote:
>
> I have the fuel smell in the basement of my 97 Serengeti. It's not really strong, but certainly there. So far I have just ignored it. However, if it gets worse I believe it would have to be dealt with in some manner.
>
> CarlGeo
>
> --- In Safarifriends@yahoogroups.com, Norm wrote:
> >
> > I have the fuel smell in the basement of my 1998 Serengeti. Not sure it's from a seeping fuel line as it goes away after being parked for a couple of weeks. Never smell it inside the coach or through the heating system. I've just been ignoring it.
> >
> > Norm
> > From the Hermitmobile
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > On Jul 1, 2010, at 11:21 PM, stuplich@ wrote:
> >
> > > Chuck,
> > > Thank you for your reply. Apperently seeping fuel lines are more than a rumor.
> > > Is it possible that Gary's '94 Sahara (see message #8662), my '96 Sahara, and Chuck's '98 Continental are the only three coaches manufactured in those five years of production that have had diesel fuel smells in the basement and in the furnace heated air?
> > > I am hoping fuel line seepage is not causing the smell in either Gary's, or my coach. Chuck, you are lucky that you had yours replaced. I hope that Safari covered the cost in 2001.
> > > I did have my fresh water tank out, a few years ago, and I was able to inspect the frontmost 5' or 6' of the fuel lines and heater hoses, they looked OK. I remember that I noted at the time that it would be a nightmare if either ever needed replacement.
> > >
> > > I have the following questions for ALL SAFARI owners, and former owners. (Especially of 1994 through 1998 models):
> > > HAS ANYONE ELSE HAD DIESEL FUEL SMELLS FROM THESE AREAS?
> > > If so, did you locate and repair or just live with it?
> > >
> > > Mel
> > >
> > > --- In Safarifriends@yahoogroups.com, Charles Gatzka wrote:
> > > >
> > > > Hello fellow Safari owner. I have a 98 Continental and smelled the diesel smell in the bays and john after about two years on the road. Talked to a tech rep at a Safari Homecoming rally in Harrisburg in 2001. I found out that my smell problem was caused by what you call seepage in the lines. A friend of mine with a 98 Ivory also had the same problem. The tech said it was a manufacturing goof and that Safari had a suit against the manufacturer.
> > > > When Safari had the overheat installation kit installed to correct the overheating problem outlined by Howard Chase earlier they also replaced the diesel fuel hoses. Some of the smell remained.
> > > > To get rid of the smell in the bays I used Bounce sheets. After a few treatments the odor seemed to have faded out.
> > > > Good luck on correcting your problem.
> > > >
> > > > Chuck Gatzka
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > ________________________________
> > > > From: "stuplich@"
> > > > To: Safarifriends@yahoogroups.com
> > > > Sent: Thu, July 1, 2010 1:16:07 PM
> > > > Subject: [Safarifriends] Diesel fuel smell, in basement /with furnace
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > The first time I use the LP furnace each season, I get a diesel fuel smell in the hot air output. It seems to go away after a few heat cycles. (I may just get used to it).
> > > > I can also detect a slight diesel fuel odor anytime I open a basement compartment door.
> > > > Both of these conditions have occured ever since I got this 1996 Sahara, in 2001, with 27,000 mi. (now 115,000).
> > > > I hope it is not caused by the fuel lines seeping. I have heard rumors of that happening. (Have not seen any forum posts).
> > > > As you may know, the fuel line(s) run from the tank (front), to the engine (rear), inside one of the "C" frame rails and well hidden by the three water tanks. It seems nearly impossible to inspect or replace.(I know, "The impossible just costs a LITTLE more)!
> > > > (I wonder if the smell in post #8662 is the same).
> > > > Has anyone any experiance with, or knowledge of, anything like this?
> > > > Mel
> > > >
> > >
> > >
> >
>
Hey yall I a new member , I got on last month . I own a 94 sahara safari and no I have not smelled the oder of diesel in either location . I have had my safari for about a year and have not gone anywhere with it other than down the road to keep it lubricated sort of speaking . I dont know if I can ask this question here please forgive me if I am in the wrong . I had the engine batteries replaced the other day and when I was backing it up to park it , I reached up to turn on my back up camera which is connected to my main t.v. and the thing would come on .I have an electrical surge strip that is pluged to an outlet in the compartment and everything was workig before I had the batteries replaced . In my safari just above the recliner behind the passenger , that outlet has power , the one directly across above the sofa /bed does not have power . The micro wave has no power either , all were working . I have checked my breaker box and all is o.k. Can anyone give me any ideas as to where there maybe another switch or breaker that might have blowen ?'