Re: Driving on sand

Staging area for content imported from the old Yahoo group. This forum is LOCKED. Moderators may edit content and relocate to other forums as appropriate.
kmrohnst

Driving on sand

Post by kmrohnst »

I just picked up a safari and we plan to use it out on sandy neck beach.  Can I safely deflate these tires to 18 lbs and be ok????

1992 Safari Sarengeti Diesel Pusher 
Jim Exler

Post by Jim Exler »

First, please sign your posts with a name so we know who we are talking to. The coach ID is also necessary which you have.   To answer your question; NO!   I doubt that the tires would stay on the rims at such a low pressure.   Most of the Safari coaches weight in excess of 20,000 lbs.; my 30’ Sahara was 21,000.  The rear axle has nearly 16,000 lbs. on 4 tires which means somewhere near 4,000 lbs. bearing on a footprint of 100 square inches or less. Beach sand is rounded from the wave action and will roll rather than compact; you will be on ‘ball bearings’; but only till you sink up to the frame.   Best to stay on pavement or hard ground and ‘Jeep’ on the beach.   Jim Exler, Nampa, ID   From: Safarifriends@yahoogroups.com Sent: Sunday, June 12, 2016 3:20 PM To: Safarifriends@yahoogroups.com Subject: [Safarifriends] Driving on sand    
I just picked up a safari and we plan to use it out on sandy neck beach.  Can I safely deflate these tires to 18 lbs and be ok????

Mr. G.

Post by Mr. G. »

I just picked up a safari and we plan to use it out on sandy neck beach.  Can I safely deflate these tires to 18 lbs and be ok????

Gary Smith

Post by Gary Smith »

If you deflate your tires to 18 psi and move the coach you might as well start out by getting a price (installed and balanced) for the replacement tires, as they will have to be replaced.  Probably in excess of $3,000.  Quite a cost to see if will work as a dune buggy.

Gary
On Sun, Jun 12, 2016 at 6:41 PM, 'Mr. G.' prieye@... [Safarifriends] wrote:

The coaches you see on Sandy Neck (cape Cod) are light weight pieces of balsa wood. A Safari is much, much heavier than those you see out there. You wouldn't make it up the first incline... and the tow bill would be enormous. I suggest you don't even consider it.  RG Moderator.  (Cape Cod and Naples)

To: Safarifriends@yahoogroups.com
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2016 14:20:22 -0700
Subject: [Safarifriends] Driving on sand

I just picked up a safari and we plan to use it out on sandy neck beach.  Can I safely deflate these tires to 18 lbs and be ok????

Knollibe

Post by Knollibe »

Ahh! I disagree some with my fellow safarians. You can deflate the drive tires for better traction on sand. All 4 on the rear. Deflated they will have a wider footprint. This is true. But you better have a plan B in case you sink it up to the axles. Is it worth the risk of getting stuck? Only if you have a spare day or so jacking and dragging your rig out of the sand.
Make sure they are re inflated for Hiway use. 
As for tire damage, you should not suffer any damage on your tires driving at 10 mph on sand. You do not want to contact any rocks that may break the bead. 

Dwayne Knoll96 safari Sahara. Off road driver for 30 plus years and my share of navigating sand and getting stuck. 

On Jun 12, 2016, at 2:20 PM, kmrohnst@... [Safarifriends] wrote:

Dwayne
1996 safari Sahara since 2010
Chev Colorado zr2 toad, electric pedego bikes.
3rd motorhome.
Dan Sample

Post by Dan Sample »

While tires designed for light loads have very flexible sidewalls, and can be run at low pressures to improve flotation.  Trying it with a tire designed to carry a heavy load, at best is likely to result in the beads coming off the rims, and likely to damage the tires.  Not to mention the motorhome up to its frame (not axles) in the sand.  Attempting to jack it up will simply result in the jack going down into the sand.  And if you can dig out a 20,000+ motorhome in a day, you're also likely to be faster than a speeding bullet, more powerful than a locomotive, able to leap tall buildings in a single bound.

Sent: Sunday, June 12, 2016 5:08 PM
Subject: Re: [Safarifriends] Driving on sand

Ahh! I disagree some with my fellow safarians. You can deflate the drive tires for better traction on sand. All 4 on the rear. Deflated they will have a wider footprint. This is true. But you better have a plan B in case you sink it up to the axles. Is it worth the risk of getting stuck? Only if you have a spare day or so jacking and dragging your rig out of the sand.
As for tire damage, you should not suffer any damage on your tires driving at 10 mph on sand. You do not want to contact any rocks that may break the bead. 

Dwayne Knoll96 safari Sahara. Off road driver for 30 plus years and my share of navigating sand and getting stuck. 

Keith Bowers

Post by Keith Bowers »

Do not reduce pressure below 50% or until the rears touch between them whichever is highest. Low creeping speed stopping every couple of miles to feel them for overheating. 
On Sunday, June 12, 2016, kmrohnst@... [Safarifriends] wrote:

--
We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.   -Winston Churchill-
Bill Edwards

Post by Bill Edwards »

Great humor in all of these replies so my two  bits....don't, for all of the above reasons. Lastly, If one reads far enough through all of the low pressure conversations it comes up that these tires do not like to be in a deflated condition and driven any distance that causes stress on the casing. This includes asphalt for any distance. If it happens, it is recommended by the manufacturers to " remove the wheel, deflate and remove for inspection". What do most of us do, yup filler up and see if there is going to be an issue and most of the time we get away with it.
Bill Edwards 1999 455 Panther

On Sunday, June 12, 2016 6:26 PM, "Dan Sample mtdansample@... [Safarifriends]" wrote:

While tires designed for light loads have very flexible sidewalls, and can be run at low pressures to improve flotation.  Trying it with a tire designed to carry a heavy load, at best is likely to result in the beads coming off the rims, and likely to damage the tires.  Not to mention the motorhome up to its frame (not axles) in the sand.  Attempting to jack it up will simply result in the jack going down into the sand.  And if you can dig out a 20,000+ motorhome in a day, you're also likely to be faster than a speeding bullet, more powerful than a locomotive, able to leap tall buildings in a single bound.

kevin rohnstrom

Post by kevin rohnstrom »

Thanks for all the responses.  The beach is actually very packed down from the 100's of motor homes going off and on weekly.  I see the larger diesel units parked only at the beginning where it is more of a dirt road than a beach.  I'm going to try tomorrow and roll the dice.  
Kevin - 1992 Safari Serengeti 

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPad
On Sunday, June 12, 2016, 11:47 PM, Bill Edwards billedwardsrs@... [Safarifriends] wrote:  
Great humor in all of these replies so my two  bits....don't, for all of the above reasons. Lastly, If one reads far enough through all of the low pressure conversations it comes up that these tires do not like to be in a deflated condition and driven any distance that causes stress on the casing. This includes asphalt for any distance. If it happens, it is recommended by the manufacturers to " remove the wheel, deflate and remove for inspection". What do most of us do, yup filler up and see if there is going to be an issue and most of the time we get away with it.

On Sunday, June 12, 2016 6:26 PM, "Dan Sample mtdansample@... [Safarifriends]" wrote:

Colin Caldwell

Post by Colin Caldwell »

Good luck and please let us know how it goes for you.
Colin Caldwell97' Sahara 3506

Sent from my iPhone
On Jun 13, 2016, at 4:30 PM, "kevin rohnstrom kmrohnst@... [Safarifriends]" wrote:

Thanks for all the responses.  The beach is actually very packed down from the 100's of motor homes going off and on weekly.  I see the larger diesel units parked only at the beginning where it is more of a dirt road than a beach.  I'm going to try tomorrow and roll the dice.  
Kevin - 1992 Safari Serengeti 

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPad

On Sunday, June 12, 2016, 11:47 PM, Bill Edwards billedwardsrs@... [Safarifriends] wrote: