Re: Missing Pictures (was: Velvet Ride)

Staging area for content imported from the old Yahoo group. This forum is LOCKED. Moderators may edit content and relocate to other forums as appropriate.
pschafersr

Re: Velvet Ride

Post by pschafersr »

'Sounds good to me, Ralph is the expert on the parts and how they work, I took the pictures of the project on my coach at Redlands RV, and will keep all of you updated as we travel more in March and April (in Quartzsite, AZ now, will travel back to midwest in the spring).

Phil
--- In Safarifriends@yahoogroups.com, "jquade_fwb" wrote:
>
> Ralph & Phil,
>
> This whole suspension redo would be an excellent subject for an article in the Safari Magazine. Especially the pics, contacts, and resultant ride assessment.
>
> JohnQ
>
> --- In Safarifriends@yahoogroups.com, "pschafersr" wrote:
> >
> > Ralph, we've heard a lot about you at Redlands RV...
> >
> > We drove the coach back to Quartzsite today after having the torsilastic suspension replaced at Redlands, and I gotta tell you it has never ridden that well! It was actually a joy to drive...even the dog noticed the difference!
> >
> > I posted pics of the project. Thanks again...
> >
> > Phil
> >
> > --- In Safarifriends@yahoogroups.com, "andrewsralph42" wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi I am Ralph Andrews. I have owened a 1996 Safari with velvet ride and put over 300,000 miles on it since i bought it new.I have many parts avalible for velvet ride.Yes I do own Pioneer Metal Works and did purchase the velvet ride inventory from Navestar.
> > > I welcome calls and Questions any time.509 750 0248.
> > >
> >
>
'
ART

Re: Velvet Ride - revisited

Post by ART »

'I've read all the posts relating to adjusting the suspension and have printed Ralph's paper.  I'm measuring approx 24 inches on the front.   Question.  To what extent do you jack the front end to relieve pressure before loosening the shakle bolts?   Art 96 Seren, 3750    
--- On Sat, 2/18/12, pschafersr wrote:

Subject: [Safarifriends] Re: Velvet Ride
To: Safarifriends@yahoogroups.com
Date: Saturday, February 18, 2012, 5:57 PM

Hi Lynn...Good questions, and there are several threads going about the velvet ride...

Ours is a 2001 Safari Zanzibar, 38(+) footer with two slides. The reason we replaced the suspension was the ride height. We were unable to adjust the ride height any more, and the last adjustment left no shims on one side of each axle. The shims are used to adjust the ride height on this type of torsilastic suspension. Take out a shim, it lowers that side of the axle 1/4 inch. Add a shim, and it raises that side of the axle 1/4 inch. We were riding on the bumperstops with very little suspension travel to dampen the beating from the roads. Other things were being affected as well, such as steering geometry, body roll, and driveline angle. Ride height is as much or more important to the chassis as it is to the rest of the coach.

The rig has 103,000 miles on it, and I am the second owner. I didn't know anything about the ride height the first year or so I woned the coach, and just thought it was the way it was supposed to be. When I started researching and talking to other Safari owners, I started trying to tweak things a little. After my foirst ride height adjustment (which only leveled side to side on each axle, not the front to back) there was noticeable improvement, but that didn't last for long, probably because of the difference of height front to rear. We live in the coach and are too deep in the debt to trade up to a newer coach. We love the lifestyle and travel about 10,000 miles in a typical year. Therefore, it is important to us to ride as comfortably and break as few dishes as possible.

For a long time we just got used to the rough ride and other issues and no one I talked to before Redlands RV ever gave me any hope it could be any better (although there was some experimentation I heard about with air bags added to the suspension, equally expensive).

Although we have only driven the coach 200 miles since the project was completed, I am convinced it was the right decision and am happy with the results!

Phil
-
-- In Safarifriends@yahoogroups.com, "Big Bubba Safari" wrote:
>
>
>
> Hi Phil. I have a 98 35' Safari, and some questions: What did you have replaced? What was the cause, i.e, what led you to replace it? Catastrophic failure, regular maintenance check, etc? How many miles on your rig, length, etc.?
>
> This would be useful info for me. I am concerned about being an orphan, since Big Bubba is the last rig I will ever buy, unless he becomes obsolete.
>
> It might be helpful if Ralph could give us some ideas about preventive maintenance and troubleshooting. I assume Redlands RV is in southern CA. My regular shop, Roadrunner RV in Brentwood (northern CA) only works on a couple of Safaris, so I might need a shop that has more experience with the torislastic suspension.
>
> Thanks! Lynn Holland,in Big Bubba, the 98 3506 Safari, 300 hp CAT
>
> --- In Safarifriends@yahoogroups.com, "pschafersr" wrote:
> >
> > Ralph, we've heard a lot about you at Redlands RV...
> >
> > We drove the coach back to Quartzsite today after having the torsilastic suspension replaced at Redlands, and I gotta tell you it has never ridden that well! It was actually a joy to drive...even the dog noticed the difference!
> >
> > I posted pics of the project. Thanks again...
> >
> > Phil
> >
> > --- In Safarifriends@yahoogroups.com, "andrewsralph42" wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi I am Ralph Andrews. I have owened a 1996 Safari with velvet ride and put over 300,000 miles on it since i bought it new.I have many parts avalible for velvet ride.Yes I do own Pioneer Metal Works and did purchase the velvet ride inventory from Navestar.
> > > I welcome calls and Questions any time.509 750 0248.
> > >
> >
>
'
byrdmona

Post by byrdmona »

'Art
No need to use the jacks at all. Just loosen all four bolts, but DO NOT TAKE THEM OUT. After loosening the bolts remove the shims as you want, and then take ONE bolt out and carefully clean all the threads, lubricate, and place it back in place. Repeat for the remaining three bolts. Torque all four bolts to specified value, and you are finished with that connection.
--- In Safarifriends@yahoogroups.com, ART wrote:
>
> I've read all the posts relating to adjusting the suspension and have printed Ralph's paper.  I'm measuring approx 24 inches on the front.   Question.  To what extent do you jack the front end to relieve pressure before loosening the shakle bolts?
>  
> Art
> 96 Seren, 3750
>  
>  
> --- On Sat, 2/18/12, pschafersr wrote:
>
>
> From: pschafersr
> Subject: [Safarifriends] Re: Velvet Ride
> To: Safarifriends@yahoogroups.com
> Date: Saturday, February 18, 2012, 5:57 PM
>
>
>
>  
>
>
>
> Hi Lynn...Good questions, and there are several threads going about the velvet ride...
>
> Ours is a 2001 Safari Zanzibar, 38(+) footer with two slides. The reason we replaced the suspension was the ride height. We were unable to adjust the ride height any more, and the last adjustment left no shims on one side of each axle. The shims are used to adjust the ride height on this type of torsilastic suspension. Take out a shim, it lowers that side of the axle 1/4 inch. Add a shim, and it raises that side of the axle 1/4 inch. We were riding on the bumperstops with very little suspension travel to dampen the beating from the roads. Other things were being affected as well, such as steering geometry, body roll, and driveline angle. Ride height is as much or more important to the chassis as it is to the rest of the coach.
>
> The rig has 103,000 miles on it, and I am the second owner. I didn't know anything about the ride height the first year or so I woned the coach, and just thought it was the way it was supposed to be. When I started researching and talking to other Safari owners, I started trying to tweak things a little. After my foirst ride height adjustment (which only leveled side to side on each axle, not the front to back) there was noticeable improvement, but that didn't last for long, probably because of the difference of height front to rear. We live in the coach and are too deep in the debt to trade up to a newer coach. We love the lifestyle and travel about 10,000 miles in a typical year. Therefore, it is important to us to ride as comfortably and break as few dishes as possible.
>
> For a long time we just got used to the rough ride and other issues and no one I talked to before Redlands RV ever gave me any hope it could be any better (although there was some experimentation I heard about with air bags added to the suspension, equally expensive).
>
> Although we have only driven the coach 200 miles since the project was completed, I am convinced it was the right decision and am happy with the results!
>
> Phil
> -
> -- In Safarifriends@yahoogroups.com, "Big Bubba Safari" wrote:
> >
> >
> >
> > Hi Phil. I have a 98 35' Safari, and some questions: What did you have replaced? What was the cause, i.e, what led you to replace it? Catastrophic failure, regular maintenance check, etc? How many miles on your rig, length, etc.?
> >
> > This would be useful info for me. I am concerned about being an orphan, since Big Bubba is the last rig I will ever buy, unless he becomes obsolete.
> >
> > It might be helpful if Ralph could give us some ideas about preventive maintenance and troubleshooting. I assume Redlands RV is in southern CA. My regular shop, Roadrunner RV in Brentwood (northern CA) only works on a couple of Safaris, so I might need a shop that has more experience with the torislastic suspension.
> >
> > Thanks! Lynn Holland,in Big Bubba, the 98 3506 Safari, 300 hp CAT
> >
> > --- In Safarifriends@yahoogroups.com, "pschafersr" wrote:
> > >
> > > Ralph, we've heard a lot about you at Redlands RV...
> > >
> > > We drove the coach back to Quartzsite today after having the torsilastic suspension replaced at Redlands, and I gotta tell you it has never ridden that well! It was actually a joy to drive...even the dog noticed the difference!
> > >
> > > I posted pics of the project. Thanks again...
> > >
> > > Phil
> > >
> > > --- In Safarifriends@yahoogroups.com, "andrewsralph42" wrote:
> > > >
> > > > Hi I am Ralph Andrews. I have owened a 1996 Safari with velvet ride and put over 300,000 miles on it since i bought it new.I have many parts avalible for velvet ride.Yes I do own Pioneer Metal Works and did purchase the velvet ride inventory from Navestar.
> > > > I welcome calls and Questions any time.509 750 0248.
> > > >
> > >
> >
>
'
ART

Post by ART »

'WOW!  Thanks.  You wouldn't believe the plan I had brewing.......   Art 96 Seren, 3750
--- On Sat, 3/17/12, byrdmona wrote:

Subject: [Safarifriends] Re: Velvet Ride - revisited
Date: Saturday, March 17, 2012, 11:23 AM

Art
No need to use the jacks at all. Just loosen all four bolts, but DO NOT TAKE THEM OUT. After loosening the bolts remove the shims as you want, and then take ONE bolt out and carefully clean all the threads, lubricate, and place it back in place. Repeat for the remaining three bolts. Torque all four bolts to specified value, and you are finished with that connection.

>
> I've read all the posts relating to adjusting the suspension and have printed Ralph's paper.  I'm measuring approx 24 inches on the front.   Question.  To what extent do you jack the front end to relieve pressure before loosening the shakle bolts?
>  
> Art
> 96 Seren, 3750
>  
>  
> --- On Sat, 2/18/12, pschafersr wrote:
>
>
> From: pschafersr
> Subject: [Safarifriends] Re: Velvet Ride
> Date: Saturday, February 18, 2012, 5:57 PM
>
>
>
>  
>
>
>
> Hi Lynn...Good questions, and there are several threads going about the velvet ride...
>
> Ours is a 2001 Safari Zanzibar, 38(+) footer with two slides. The reason we replaced the suspension was the ride height. We were unable to adjust the ride height any more, and the last adjustment left no shims on one side of each axle. The shims are used to adjust the ride height on this type of torsilastic suspension. Take out a shim, it lowers that side of the axle 1/4 inch. Add a shim, and it raises that side of the axle 1/4 inch. We were riding on the bumperstops with very little suspension travel to dampen the beating from the roads. Other things were being affected as well, such as steering geometry, body roll, and driveline angle. Ride height is as much or more important to the chassis as it is to the rest of the coach.
>
> The rig has 103,000 miles on it, and I am the second owner. I didn't know anything about the ride height the first year or so I woned the coach, and just thought it was the way it was supposed to be. When I started researching and talking to other Safari owners, I started trying to tweak things a little. After my foirst ride height adjustment (which only leveled side to side on each axle, not the front to back) there was noticeable improvement, but that didn't last for long, probably because of the difference of height front to rear. We live in the coach and are too deep in the debt to trade up to a newer coach. We love the lifestyle and travel about 10,000 miles in a typical year. Therefore, it is important to us to ride as comfortably and break as few dishes as possible.
>
> For a long time we just got used to the rough ride and other issues and no one I talked to before Redlands RV ever gave me any hope it could be any better (although there was some experimentation I heard about with air bags added to the suspension, equally expensive).
>
> Although we have only driven the coach 200 miles since the project was completed, I am convinced it was the right decision and am happy with the results!
>
> Phil
> -
> -- In Safarifriends@yahoogroups.com, "Big Bubba Safari" wrote:
> >
> >
> >
> > Hi Phil. I have a 98 35' Safari, and some questions: What did you have replaced? What was the cause, i.e, what led you to replace it? Catastrophic failure, regular maintenance check, etc? How many miles on your rig, length, etc.?
> >
> > This would be useful info for me. I am concerned about being an orphan, since Big Bubba is the last rig I will ever buy, unless he becomes obsolete.
> >
> > It might be helpful if Ralph could give us some ideas about preventive maintenance and troubleshooting. I assume Redlands RV is in southern CA. My regular shop, Roadrunner RV in Brentwood (northern CA) only works on a couple of Safaris, so I might need a shop that has more experience with the torislastic suspension.
> >
> > Thanks! Lynn Holland,in Big Bubba, the 98 3506 Safari, 300 hp CAT
> >
> > --- In Safarifriends@yahoogroups.com, "pschafersr" wrote:
> > >
> > > Ralph, we've heard a lot about you at Redlands RV...
> > >
> > > We drove the coach back to Quartzsite today after having the torsilastic suspension replaced at Redlands, and I gotta tell you it has never ridden that well! It was actually a joy to drive...even the dog noticed the difference!
> > >
> > > I posted pics of the project. Thanks again...
> > >
> > > Phil
> > >
> > > --- In Safarifriends@yahoogroups.com, "andrewsralph42" wrote:
> > > >
> > > > Hi I am Ralph Andrews. I have owened a 1996 Safari with velvet ride and put over 300,000 miles on it since i bought it new.I have many parts avalible for velvet ride.Yes I do own Pioneer Metal Works and did purchase the velvet ride inventory from Navestar.
> > > > I welcome calls and Questions any time.509 750 0248.
> > > >
> > >
> >
>

'
andrewsralph42

Post by andrewsralph42 »

'Art
You got the wright info.If you need any help give me a call 509-750-0248
Ralph
>
> WOW!  Thanks.  You wouldn't believe the plan I had brewing.......
>  
> Art
> 96 Seren, 3750
>
> --- On Sat, 3/17/12, byrdmona wrote:
>
>
> From: byrdmona
> Subject: [Safarifriends] Re: Velvet Ride - revisited
> Date: Saturday, March 17, 2012, 11:23 AM
>
>
>
>  
>
>
>
> Art
> No need to use the jacks at all. Just loosen all four bolts, but DO NOT TAKE THEM OUT. After loosening the bolts remove the shims as you want, and then take ONE bolt out and carefully clean all the threads, lubricate, and place it back in place. Repeat for the remaining three bolts. Torque all four bolts to specified value, and you are finished with that connection.
>
> --- In Safarifriends@yahoogroups.com, ART wrote:
> >
> > I've read all the posts relating to adjusting the suspension and have printed Ralph's paper.  I'm measuring approx 24 inches on the front.   Question.  To what extent do you jack the front end to relieve pressure before loosening the shakle bolts?
> >  
> > Art
> > 96 Seren, 3750
> >  
> >  
> > --- On Sat, 2/18/12, pschafersr wrote:
> >
> >
> > From: pschafersr
> > Subject: [Safarifriends] Re: Velvet Ride
> > To: Safarifriends@yahoogroups.com
> > Date: Saturday, February 18, 2012, 5:57 PM
> >
> >
> >
> >  
> >
> >
> >
> > Hi Lynn...Good questions, and there are several threads going about the velvet ride...
> >
> > Ours is a 2001 Safari Zanzibar, 38(+) footer with two slides. The reason we replaced the suspension was the ride height. We were unable to adjust the ride height any more, and the last adjustment left no shims on one side of each axle. The shims are used to adjust the ride height on this type of torsilastic suspension. Take out a shim, it lowers that side of the axle 1/4 inch. Add a shim, and it raises that side of the axle 1/4 inch. We were riding on the bumperstops with very little suspension travel to dampen the beating from the roads. Other things were being affected as well, such as steering geometry, body roll, and driveline angle. Ride height is as much or more important to the chassis as it is to the rest of the coach.
> >
> > The rig has 103,000 miles on it, and I am the second owner. I didn't know anything about the ride height the first year or so I woned the coach, and just thought it was the way it was supposed to be. When I started researching and talking to other Safari owners, I started trying to tweak things a little. After my foirst ride height adjustment (which only leveled side to side on each axle, not the front to back) there was noticeable improvement, but that didn't last for long, probably because of the difference of height front to rear. We live in the coach and are too deep in the debt to trade up to a newer coach. We love the lifestyle and travel about 10,000 miles in a typical year. Therefore, it is important to us to ride as comfortably and break as few dishes as possible.
> >
> > For a long time we just got used to the rough ride and other issues and no one I talked to before Redlands RV ever gave me any hope it could be any better (although there was some experimentation I heard about with air bags added to the suspension, equally expensive).
> >
> > Although we have only driven the coach 200 miles since the project was completed, I am convinced it was the right decision and am happy with the results!
> >
> > Phil
> > -
> > -- In Safarifriends@yahoogroups.com, "Big Bubba Safari" wrote:
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > Hi Phil. I have a 98 35' Safari, and some questions: What did you have replaced? What was the cause, i.e, what led you to replace it? Catastrophic failure, regular maintenance check, etc? How many miles on your rig, length, etc.?
> > >
> > > This would be useful info for me. I am concerned about being an orphan, since Big Bubba is the last rig I will ever buy, unless he becomes obsolete.
> > >
> > > It might be helpful if Ralph could give us some ideas about preventive maintenance and troubleshooting. I assume Redlands RV is in southern CA. My regular shop, Roadrunner RV in Brentwood (northern CA) only works on a couple of Safaris, so I might need a shop that has more experience with the torislastic suspension.
> > >
> > > Thanks! Lynn Holland,in Big Bubba, the 98 3506 Safari, 300 hp CAT
> > >
> > > --- In Safarifriends@yahoogroups.com, "pschafersr" wrote:
> > > >
> > > > Ralph, we've heard a lot about you at Redlands RV...
> > > >
> > > > We drove the coach back to Quartzsite today after having the torsilastic suspension replaced at Redlands, and I gotta tell you it has never ridden that well! It was actually a joy to drive...even the dog noticed the difference!
> > > >
> > > > I posted pics of the project. Thanks again...
> > > >
> > > > Phil
> > > >
> > > > --- In Safarifriends@yahoogroups.com, "andrewsralph42" wrote:
> > > > >
> > > > > Hi I am Ralph Andrews. I have owened a 1996 Safari with velvet ride and put over 300,000 miles on it since i bought it new.I have many parts avalible for velvet ride.Yes I do own Pioneer Metal Works and did purchase the velvet ride inventory from Navestar.
> > > > > I welcome calls and Questions any time.509 750 0248.
> > > > >
> > > >
> > >
> >
>
'
John

Post by John »

'OK Guys, I'm confused, I have a 2000 Zanzibar with a 4 bag air system, was this an option? I read about Velvet Ride in coaches before and after mine was born. Just curious. It does ride good, but a little soft at times, new shocks installed 2 years ago, Bilsteins, may try Koni's..

John M
2000 Zanzibar 3886
--- In Safarifriends@yahoogroups.com, "andrewsralph42" wrote:
>
> Art
> You got the wright info.If you need any help give me a call 509-750-0248
> Ralph
>
> >
> > WOW!  Thanks.  You wouldn't believe the plan I had brewing.......
> >  
> > Art
> > 96 Seren, 3750
> >
> > --- On Sat, 3/17/12, byrdmona wrote:
> >
> >
> > From: byrdmona
> > Subject: [Safarifriends] Re: Velvet Ride - revisited
> > Date: Saturday, March 17, 2012, 11:23 AM
> >
> >
> >
> >  
> >
> >
> >
> > Art
> > No need to use the jacks at all. Just loosen all four bolts, but DO NOT TAKE THEM OUT. After loosening the bolts remove the shims as you want, and then take ONE bolt out and carefully clean all the threads, lubricate, and place it back in place. Repeat for the remaining three bolts. Torque all four bolts to specified value, and you are finished with that connection.
> >
> > --- In Safarifriends@yahoogroups.com, ART wrote:
> > >
> > > I've read all the posts relating to adjusting the suspension and have printed Ralph's paper.  I'm measuring approx 24 inches on the front.   Question.  To what extent do you jack the front end to relieve pressure before loosening the shakle bolts?
> > >  
> > > Art
> > > 96 Seren, 3750
> > >  
> > >  
> > > --- On Sat, 2/18/12, pschafersr wrote:
> > >
> > >
> > > From: pschafersr
> > > Subject: [Safarifriends] Re: Velvet Ride
> > > To: Safarifriends@yahoogroups.com
> > > Date: Saturday, February 18, 2012, 5:57 PM
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >  
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > Hi Lynn...Good questions, and there are several threads going about the velvet ride...
> > >
> > > Ours is a 2001 Safari Zanzibar, 38(+) footer with two slides. The reason we replaced the suspension was the ride height. We were unable to adjust the ride height any more, and the last adjustment left no shims on one side of each axle. The shims are used to adjust the ride height on this type of torsilastic suspension. Take out a shim, it lowers that side of the axle 1/4 inch. Add a shim, and it raises that side of the axle 1/4 inch. We were riding on the bumperstops with very little suspension travel to dampen the beating from the roads. Other things were being affected as well, such as steering geometry, body roll, and driveline angle. Ride height is as much or more important to the chassis as it is to the rest of the coach.
> > >
> > > The rig has 103,000 miles on it, and I am the second owner. I didn't know anything about the ride height the first year or so I woned the coach, and just thought it was the way it was supposed to be. When I started researching and talking to other Safari owners, I started trying to tweak things a little. After my foirst ride height adjustment (which only leveled side to side on each axle, not the front to back) there was noticeable improvement, but that didn't last for long, probably because of the difference of height front to rear. We live in the coach and are too deep in the debt to trade up to a newer coach. We love the lifestyle and travel about 10,000 miles in a typical year. Therefore, it is important to us to ride as comfortably and break as few dishes as possible.
> > >
> > > For a long time we just got used to the rough ride and other issues and no one I talked to before Redlands RV ever gave me any hope it could be any better (although there was some experimentation I heard about with air bags added to the suspension, equally expensive).
> > >
> > > Although we have only driven the coach 200 miles since the project was completed, I am convinced it was the right decision and am happy with the results!
> > >
> > > Phil
> > > -
> > > -- In Safarifriends@yahoogroups.com, "Big Bubba Safari" wrote:
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > Hi Phil. I have a 98 35' Safari, and some questions: What did you have replaced? What was the cause, i.e, what led you to replace it? Catastrophic failure, regular maintenance check, etc? How many miles on your rig, length, etc.?
> > > >
> > > > This would be useful info for me. I am concerned about being an orphan, since Big Bubba is the last rig I will ever buy, unless he becomes obsolete.
> > > >
> > > > It might be helpful if Ralph could give us some ideas about preventive maintenance and troubleshooting. I assume Redlands RV is in southern CA. My regular shop, Roadrunner RV in Brentwood (northern CA) only works on a couple of Safaris, so I might need a shop that has more experience with the torislastic suspension.
> > > >
> > > > Thanks! Lynn Holland,in Big Bubba, the 98 3506 Safari, 300 hp CAT
> > > >
> > > > --- In Safarifriends@yahoogroups.com, "pschafersr" wrote:
> > > > >
> > > > > Ralph, we've heard a lot about you at Redlands RV...
> > > > >
> > > > > We drove the coach back to Quartzsite today after having the torsilastic suspension replaced at Redlands, and I gotta tell you it has never ridden that well! It was actually a joy to drive...even the dog noticed the difference!
> > > > >
> > > > > I posted pics of the project. Thanks again...
> > > > >
> > > > > Phil
> > > > >
> > > > > --- In Safarifriends@yahoogroups.com, "andrewsralph42" wrote:
> > > > > >
> > > > > > Hi I am Ralph Andrews. I have owened a 1996 Safari with velvet ride and put over 300,000 miles on it since i bought it new.I have many parts avalible for velvet ride.Yes I do own Pioneer Metal Works and did purchase the velvet ride inventory from Navestar.
> > > > > > I welcome calls and Questions any time.509 750 0248.
> > > > > >
> > > > >
> > > >
> > >
> >
>
'
FBrouss211@aol.com

Post by FBrouss211@aol.com »

'A good source for information and service on historical suspension
systems used by Safari is Kaiser alignment in Eugene, Oregon,
"http://www.kaiserbrakealignment.com/".
They've solved suspension problems on my 1999 Magnum that no one else
could solve.
Based on discussions at their shop, they did a lot of special retro
development work for Safari to resolve design flaws related to serious
braking and Velvet suspension problems.

-----Original Message-----
To: Safarifriends
Sent: Sun, Mar 18, 2012 5:40 am
Subject: [Safarifriends] Re: Velvet Ride - revisited

OK Guys, I'm confused, I have a 2000 Zanzibar with a 4 bag air system,
was this an option? I read about Velvet Ride in coaches before and
after mine was born. Just curious. It does ride good, but a little
soft at times, new shocks installed 2 years ago, Bilsteins, may try
Koni's..

John M
2000 Zanzibar 3886

--- In Safarifriends@yahoogroups.com, "andrewsralph42"
wrote:
>
> Art
> You got the wright info.If you need any help give me a call
509-750-0248
> Ralph
>
> >
> > WOW!  Thanks.  You wouldn't believe the plan I had
brewing.......
> >  
> > Art
> > 96 Seren, 3750
> >
> > --- On Sat, 3/17/12, byrdmona wrote:
> >
> >
> > From: byrdmona
> > Subject: [Safarifriends] Re: Velvet Ride - revisited
> > Date: Saturday, March 17, 2012, 11:23 AM
> >
> >
> >
> >  
> >
> >
> >
> > Art
> > No need to use the jacks at all. Just loosen all four bolts,
but DO NOT TAKE THEM OUT. After loosening the bolts remove the shims as
you want, and then take ONE bolt out and carefully clean all the
threads, lubricate, and place it back in place. Repeat for the
remaining three bolts. Torque all four bolts to specified value, and
you are finished with that connection.
> >
> > --- In Safarifriends@yahoogroups.com, ART
wrote:
> > >
> > > I've read all the posts relating to adjusting the
suspension and have printed Ralph's paper.  I'm measuring approx 24
inches on the front.   Question.  To what extent do you jack
the front end to relieve pressure before loosening the shakle bolts?
> > >  
> > > Art
> > > 96 Seren, 3750
> > >  
> > >  
> > > --- On Sat, 2/18/12, pschafersr
wrote:
> > >
> > >
> > > From: pschafersr
> > > Subject: [Safarifriends] Re: Velvet Ride
> > > To: Safarifriends@yahoogroups.com
> > > Date: Saturday, February 18, 2012, 5:57 PM
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >  
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > Hi Lynn...Good questions, and there are several threads
going about the velvet ride...
> > >
> > > Ours is a 2001 Safari Zanzibar, 38(+) footer with two
slides. The reason we replaced the suspension was the ride height. We
were unable to adjust the ride height any more, and the last adjustment
left no shims on one side of each axle. The shims are used to adjust
the ride height on this type of torsilastic suspension. Take out a
shim, it lowers that side of the axle 1/4 inch. Add a shim, and it
raises that side of the axle 1/4 inch. We were riding on the
bumperstops with very little suspension travel to dampen the beating
from the roads. Other things were being affected as well, such as
steering geometry, body roll, and driveline angle. Ride height is as
much or more important to the chassis as it is to the rest of the
coach.
> > >
> > > The rig has 103,000 miles on it, and I am the second
owner. I didn't know anything about the ride height the first year or
so I woned the coach, and just thought it was the way it was supposed
to be. When I started researching and talking to other Safari owners, I
started trying to tweak things a little. After my foirst ride height
adjustment (which only leveled side to side on each axle, not the front
to back) there was noticeable improvement, but that didn't last for
long, probably because of the difference of height front to rear. We
live in the coach and are too deep in the debt to trade up to a newer
coach. We love the lifestyle and travel about 10,000 miles in a typical
year. Therefore, it is important to us to ride as comfortably and break
as few dishes as possible.
> > >
> > > For a long time we just got used to the rough ride and
other issues and no one I talked to before Redlands RV ever gave me any
hope it could be any better (although there was some experimentation I
heard about with air bags added to the suspension, equally expensive).
> > >
> > > Although we have only driven the coach 200 miles since
the project was completed, I am convinced it was the right decision and
am happy with the results!
> > >
> > > Phil
> > > -
> > > -- In Safarifriends@yahoogroups.com, "Big Bubba Safari"
wrote:
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > Hi Phil. I have a 98 35' Safari, and some
questions: What did you have replaced? What was the cause, i.e, what
led you to replace it? Catastrophic failure, regular maintenance check,
etc? How many miles on your rig, length, etc.?
> > > >
> > > > This would be useful info for me. I am concerned
about being an orphan, since Big Bubba is the last rig I will ever buy,
unless he becomes obsolete.
> > > >
> > > > It might be helpful if Ralph could give us some
ideas about preventive maintenance and troubleshooting. I assume
Redlands RV is in southern CA. My regular shop, Roadrunner RV in
Brentwood (northern CA) only works on a couple of Safaris, so I might
need a shop that has more experience with the torislastic suspension.
> > > >
> > > > Thanks! Lynn Holland,in Big Bubba, the 98 3506
Safari, 300 hp CAT
> > > >
> > > > --- In Safarifriends@yahoogroups.com, "pschafersr"
wrote:
> > > > >
> > > > > Ralph, we've heard a lot about you at Redlands
RV...
> > > > >
> > > > > We drove the coach back to Quartzsite today
after having the torsilastic suspension replaced at Redlands, and I
gotta tell you it has never ridden that well! It was actually a joy to
drive...even the dog noticed the difference!
> > > > >
> > > > > I posted pics of the project. Thanks again...
> > > > >
> > > > > Phil
> > > > >
> > > > > --- In Safarifriends@yahoogroups.com,
"andrewsralph42" wrote:
> > > > > >
> > > > > > Hi I am Ralph Andrews. I have owened a
1996 Safari with velvet ride and put over 300,000 miles on it since i
bought it new.I have many parts avalible for velvet ride.Yes I do own
Pioneer Metal Works and did purchase the velvet ride inventory from
Navestar.
> > > > > > I welcome calls and Questions any
time.509 750 0248.
> > > > > >
> > > > >
> > > >
> > >
> >
>
'
Dog

Velvet Ride

Post by Dog »

'Hello everyoneMy Driver’s side ride height cannot be reached. I’m 1 inch short.  Has anyone changed the front  velvet ride tubes on the front of their rig? Is it a had job? Where is a good place to order them?  I think I need to change that one at least.    Dave2002 safari Zanzibar'
TD

Post by TD »

'Dave,

Remind me, did you have the supplemental air bags installed a few
years back, when you just got the coach, the ones Bill E. suggested?

There is only one place you can get them, sulastic.com. If I recall
correctly, Bob Fountking might have replaced one of his springs and
also another member by the name of Robert, who owns a Fortravel coach
with the same suspension, replaced his front springs.

Here is his post from Jan 2015, describing how he did it.

Beginning of Post:

John
Good news the system is in and working fine.
No special fixture required.
Here are the steps and it works

1. Secure tube and arms to axle.
2. Align assembled shackle to arm and attach 4" C clamp at center
between arm and shackle.
3. Tighten C clamp until bolt holes line up insert bolts and tighten bolts.
A threaded rod nuts and flat washer required for next step.
4. Use a large pipe wrench (24") to load shackle enough to insert threaded rod.
5, Insert Threaded rod with nut and flat washer through the plate,
frame,bracket and shackle.(Remove wrench)
6. Install top nut about an inch down and start tightening bottom nut
until inner shackle bolts come through
fame with enough threads to safely secure high nuts,
7. Tighten high nuts until bolts become flush with bottom of nut..
8. Remove threaded rod and install outer shackle mount bolts and nuts
till flush.
9. Install shims and repeat process on other end.
10. Adjust ride. Read instructions on system settling.

Works great, comes together nicely and we had no safety issue. It is a
two man job.
Have a great day.
Robert

---In Safarifriends@yahoogroups.com, wrote :

Robert,

Sounds by what you are describing, that the pictures and write up was
Phil's coach, he did have the work done at Redlands. I know as of last
year he was still very happy with his results. He also did a great job
of taking pictures.
Please keep us posted on your results.

John
'95 Safari Serengeti 38ft, 300 Cummins 8.3CTA, Allison
6spd.

PS: It is great to know that the springs are still made. As far as I
know this is the only company that makes them. I became aware of it
just last summer.

On Sun, Jan 4, 2015 at 4:32 PM, Robert Leach rldl99@...
[Safarifriends] wrote:

John
They were bought from sulastic.com. They have the springs and
the shackles. The springs were $1000. and the shackles are $100. I
will have to go back to Safari Friends Photos. and search again. I
believe it was Feb 2012. I could be wrong about Quartzite. May have
been Redlands. They were replace because of no more ride height
adjustment and the rubber in the springs were
deteriorated. Have a great day.
Robert

End of Post.

I hope this info will be of help...

John
'95 Safari Serengeti 38ft, Cummins C8.3-300, Allison
6spd

On 8/17/19, 'Dog' dlswood@... [Safarifriends]
wrote:
> Hello everyone
>
> My Driver's side ride height cannot be reached. I'm 1 inch short. Has
> anyone changed the front velvet ride tubes on the front of their rig? Is
> it
> a had job? Where is a good place to order them? I think I need to change
> that one at least.
>
>
>
>
>
> Dave
>
> 2002 safari Zanzibar
>
>
'
Dog

Post by Dog »

'John Yes I do have air bags on all 4 corners. Thanks for the info on replacing  the springs. Om going to look are replacing the drivers side.  ThanksDave             2002 safari Zanzibar  From: Safarifriends@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Safarifriends@yahoogroups.com]
Sent: Saturday, August 17, 2019 1:13 PM
Subject: Re: [Safarifriends] Velvet Ride   
Dave,

Remind me, did you have the supplemental air bags installed a few
years back, when you just got the coach, the ones Bill E. suggested?

There is only one place you can get them, sulastic.com. If I recall
correctly, Bob Fountking might have replaced one of his springs and
also another member by the name of Robert, who owns a Fortravel coach
with the same suspension, replaced his front springs.

Here is his post from Jan 2015, describing how he did it.

Beginning of Post:

John
Good news the system is in and working fine.
No special fixture required.
Here are the steps and it works

1. Secure tube and arms to axle.
2. Align assembled shackle to arm and attach 4" C clamp at center
between arm and shackle.
3. Tighten C clamp until bolt holes line up insert bolts and tighten bolts.
A threaded rod nuts and flat washer required for next step.
4. Use a large pipe wrench (24") to load shackle enough to insert threaded rod.
5, Insert Threaded rod with nut and flat washer through the plate,
frame,bracket and shackle.(Remove wrench)
6. Install top nut about an inch down and start tightening bottom nut
until inner shackle bolts come through
fame with enough threads to safely secure high nuts,
7. Tighten high nuts until bolts become flush with bottom of nut..
8. Remove threaded rod and install outer shackle mount bolts and nuts
till flush.
9. Install shims and repeat process on other end.
10. Adjust ride. Read instructions on system settling.

Works great, comes together nicely and we had no safety issue. It is a
two man job.
Have a great day.
Robert

---In Safarifriends@yahoogroups.com, wrote :

Robert,

Sounds by what you are describing, that the pictures and write up was
Phil's coach, he did have the work done at Redlands. I know as of last
year he was still very happy with his results. He also did a great job
of taking pictures.
Please keep us posted on your results.

John
'95 Safari Serengeti 38ft, 300 Cummins 8.3CTA, Allison
6spd.

PS: It is great to know that the springs are still made. As far as I
know this is the only company that makes them. I became aware of it
just last summer.

On Sun, Jan 4, 2015 at 4:32 PM, Robert Leach rldl99@...
[Safarifriends] wrote:

John
They were bought from sulastic.com. They have the springs and
the shackles. The springs were $1000. and the shackles are $100. I
will have to go back to Safari Friends Photos. and search again. I
believe it was Feb 2012. I could be wrong about Quartzite. May have
been Redlands. They were replace because of no more ride height
adjustment and the rubber in the springs were
deteriorated. Have a great day.
Robert

End of Post.

I hope this info will be of help...