Re: Missing Pictures (was: Velvet Ride)

Staging area for content imported from the old Yahoo group. This forum is LOCKED. Moderators may edit content and relocate to other forums as appropriate.
ondaflore

Re: Velvet Ride

Post by ondaflore »

'Dog,
You probably know this, but you need to change both tubes on any corner AND keep the same number of shims in the front and rear tubes of each corner.
Bob

---In Safarifriends@yahoogroups.com, wrote :

Hello everyoneMy Driver’s side ride height cannot be reached. I’m 1 inch short.  Has anyone changed the front  velvet ride tubes on the front of their rig? Is it a had job? Where is a good place to order them?  I think I need to change that one at least.    Dave2002 safari Zanzibar'
fountking

Post by fountking »

'Hi Dave, I replaced left front tube. No special tools needed.I did it by myself'.I bought it from Sulastic.  Bob 96 Serengeti  '
TD

Post by TD »

'Bob,

Would you mind describing the process, step by step, so other members
can learn. This would potentially benefit everyone who has the
VelvetRide suspension.

John
'95 Serengeti Cummins 8.3-300
Allison 6spd

On 8/19/19, fountking@... [Safarifriends]
wrote:
> Hi Dave, I replaced left front tube. No special tools needed.I did it by
> myself'. I bought it from Sulastic.
> Bob 96 Serengeti
>
'
wolfe102001

Post by wolfe102001 »

'I have also replaced the torsilastic shackles with LARGE hand tools (no air tools).
But, this is not something that is for anyone not VERY mechanic-savvy.  I am reluctant to post a "blow by blow", as you are dealing with a HEAVY vehicle and lots of forces.
'
TD

Post by TD »

'Brett,

You have a point, but you or others could easily include a warning
statement. It is better to have instructions, then someone attempting
to fumble their way through it. One could also take those instructions
to a shop, so it could be done correctly. For an example, there is
really no shop in the northeast that knows how to work on the
torsional suspension, but, with good instructions they could
successfully accomplish the task.

If everyone was reluctant on this group, this group would be pretty
useless. Imagine if Jim was reluctant to put all his great diagrams
up, because someone inexperienced might burn his coach down or have
batteries blow up in their face. The reality is, most if not all
members are well into their adulthood and have lived life and made big
decisions and are still alive to tell the story, and if there does
happen to be that odd chance that there is an idiot on the group, well
those type will figure out one way or a other to maim themselves. So
why should the rest lose out because of a few.

This modern-day reluctancey is a slippery slope. I have seen the
demise of at least one group because of that. Just something to
consider...

John
'95 Serengeti Cummins 8.3-300
Allison 6spd

On 8/20/19, bawolfe10@... [Safarifriends]
wrote:
> I have also replaced the torsilastic shackles with LARGE hand tools (no air
> tools).
>
>
> But, this is not something that is for anyone not VERY mechanic-savvy. I
> am reluctant to post a "blow by blow", as you are dealing with a HEAVY
> vehicle and lots of forces.
>
>
'
Dog

Post by Dog »

'I have done a lot of heavy work on the Rig. Would like a better idea how to accomplish this task if possible  Dave2002 Safari Zanzibar  From: Safarifriends@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Safarifriends@yahoogroups.com]
Sent: Tuesday, August 20, 2019 2:17 AM
To: Safarifriends@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [Safarifriends] Re: Velvet Ride    I have also replaced the torsilastic shackles with LARGE hand tools (no air tools).  But, this is not something that is for anyone not VERY mechanic-savvy.  I am reluctant to post a "blow by blow", as you are dealing with a HEAVY vehicle and lots of forces.'
Dog

Post by Dog »

'Bob I put air bags on a couple years ago and now my driver’s side with no air in bags is 1” low and no shims left. Thinking about changing the bar. Any info would be helpful.  ThanksDave2002 safariZanzibar  From: Safarifriends@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Safarifriends@yahoogroups.com]
Sent: Monday, August 19, 2019 6:12 PM
Subject: [Safarifriends] Re: Velvet Ride   
Hi Dave, I replaced left front tube. No special tools needed.I did it by myself'.I bought it from Sulastic.  Bob 96 Serengeti  '
Bilmac36

Post by Bilmac36 »

'John, Bob, Brett, et al, I strongly agree with John’s comments about passing down knowledge and allowing others to make their decisions on tackling an issue or not. Perhaps not everyone will realize the ‘Forces’ being dealt with in a spring is potential energy. And massive amounts of potential energy released inadvertently can easily harm people and equipment. That said, each individual should access his/her situation’s ORM, operational Risk management, and decide for themselves how they prefer to move forward. Using the tools at hand, good research, some technical skills, some fundamental laws of science, and etc then people are better capable able to make these decisions. As noted, to a large extent we are maintaining and working on equipment that the industry typically does not support in your every day shop and some of the skill sets used to maintain such equipment have gone by way of worker attrition and/or modern day electronics. If we have the knowledge, skills and ability to figure things out then it’s important for this group to share that knowledge and not bottle neck it. Do we choose to limit the flow of knowledge that may assist others. It is a choice. These rigs were built to last decades and will with the help and assistance of those who freely pass along their how to knowledge. 
If you are apprehensive about writing your step by step write up then note some basics at the beginning of it. What were the things you considered? Where and what were your risk factors? What did you do to reduce them?Examples of precautionary notes: Torsion springs carry a huge amount of potential energy, positive control is a must at all times.Weight of the rig: proper jacks and jack stands should be used on firm solid surfaces. Ex: Do expect sinking of your jacks and rig if you place them on soft earth. Things on these rigs are heavy, ensure you either use an assistant or have dollies in place to assist with the various weighted items you will be moving.Time: alot yourself sufficient time to have your rig stationary during this evolution. Parts: create a checklist so you have some idea of what is needed.
Brett, Bob, there are folks out there that I would not pass a wrench to as I know they have no mechanical abilities and those folks should know themselves well enough to know to stay away. But others are a bit apprehensive because of the unknown and things are big. We can help reduce their apprehension by sharing of knowledge and our success and failure stories. As Mr. Bill would say, ask me how I know? 
Appreciate all who contribute here. I heard a story once about a person who taught another person how to fish...you may have heard the rest of the story.
Regards, Willie, Connie is ‘95 Continental, 8.3L, Ally 6spd  Sent from my iPhone
On Aug 20, 2019, at 6:33 AM, 'Dog' dlswood@... [Safarifriends] wrote:

I have done a lot of heavy work on the Rig. Would like a better idea how to accomplish this task if possible  Dave2002 Safari Zanzibar  From: Safarifriends@yahoogroups.com [Safarifriends@yahoogroups.com]
Subject: Re: [Safarifriends] Re: Velvet Ride    I have also replaced the torsilastic shackles with LARGE hand tools (no air tools).  But, this is not something that is for anyone not VERY mechanic-savvy.  I am reluctant to post a "blow by blow", as you are dealing with a HEAVY vehicle and lots of forces.
'
r/Willie
'95 Safari Continental, Cummins 8.3L, Allison MD3060
loislop

Post by loislop »

'So really well expressed, Willie.  And many thanks to John and all the others who give freely of their time and knowledge to help us all.  I'm not a mechanic, or pretend to be, but do have a couple lessons learned to share that can help.others with troubleshooting.  Since our incidents, we've been swamped.with personal issues.  Will post in near future.  
Thanks All!Lois&Darryl01 Serengeti, 350 Cummins3yr Owners

Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone
-------- Original message --------From: "bilmac36 bilmac36@... [Safarifriends]" Date: 8/20/19 5:47 AM (GMT-08:00) To: Safarifriends@yahoogroups.com Subject: Re: [Safarifriends] Re: Velvet Ride

John, Bob, Brett, et al, I strongly agree with John’s comments about passing down knowledge and allowing others to make their decisions on tackling an issue or not. Perhaps not everyone will realize the ‘Forces’ being dealt with in a spring is potential energy. And massive amounts of potential energy released inadvertently can easily harm people and equipment. That said, each individual should access his/her situation’s ORM, operational Risk management, and decide for themselves how they prefer to move forward. Using the tools at hand, good research, some technical skills, some fundamental laws of science, and etc then people are better capable able to make these decisions.. As noted, to a large extent we are maintaining and working on equipment that the industry typically does not support in your every day shop and some of the skill sets used to maintain such equipment have gone by way of worker attrition and/or modern day electronics. If we have the knowledge, skills and ability to figure things out then it’s important for this group to share that knowledge and not bottle neck it. Do we choose to limit the flow of knowledge that may assist others. It is a choice. These rigs were built to last decades and will with the help and assistance of those who freely pass along their how to knowledge. 
If you are apprehensive about writing your step by step write up then note some basics at the beginning of it. What were the things you considered? Where and what were your risk factors? What did you do to reduce them?Examples of precautionary notes: Torsion springs carry a huge amount of potential energy, positive control is a must at all times.Weight of the rig: proper jacks and jack stands should be used on firm solid surfaces. Ex: Do expect sinking of your jacks and rig if you place them on soft earth. Things on these rigs are heavy, ensure you either use an assistant or have dollies in place to assist with the various weighted items you will be moving.Time: alot yourself sufficient time to have your rig stationary during this evolution. Parts: create a checklist so you have some idea of what is needed.
Brett, Bob, there are folks out there that I would not pass a wrench to as I know they have no mechanical abilities and those folks should know themselves well enough to know to stay away. But others are a bit apprehensive because of the unknown and things are big. We can help reduce their apprehension by sharing of knowledge and our success and failure stories. As Mr. Bill would say, ask me how I know? 
Appreciate all who contribute here. I heard a story once about a person who taught another person how to fish...you may have heard the rest of the story.
Regards, Willie, Connie is ‘95 Continental, 8.3L, Ally 6spd  Sent from my iPhone

I have done a lot of heavy work on the Rig. Would like a better idea how to accomplish this task if possible  Dave2002 Safari Zanzibar  From: Safarifriends@yahoogroups.com [Safarifriends@yahoogroups.com]
Subject: Re: [Safarifriends] Re: Velvet Ride    I have also replaced the torsilastic shackles with LARGE hand tools (no air tools).  But, this is not something that is for anyone not VERY mechanic-savvy..  I am reluctant to post a "blow by blow", as you are dealing with a HEAVY vehicle and lots of forces.

'
John Rowin

Post by John Rowin »

' I am one of those that are mechanically challenged but would love to pass this on to my mechanic from whom I purchased my rig. 

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone
On Tuesday, August 20, 2019, 7:47 AM, bilmac36 bilmac36@... [Safarifriends] wrote:  
John, Bob, Brett, et al, I strongly agree with John’s comments about passing down knowledge and allowing others to make their decisions on tackling an issue or not. Perhaps not everyone will realize the ‘Forces’ being dealt with in a spring is potential energy. And massive amounts of potential energy released inadvertently can easily harm people and equipment. That said, each individual should access his/her situation’s ORM, operational Risk management, and decide for themselves how they prefer to move forward. Using the tools at hand, good research, some technical skills, some fundamental laws of science, and etc then people are better capable able to make these decisions.. As noted, to a large extent we are maintaining and working on equipment that the industry typically does not support in your every day shop and some of the skill sets used to maintain such equipment have gone by way of worker attrition and/or modern day electronics. If we have the knowledge, skills and ability to figure things out then it’s important for this group to share that knowledge and not bottle neck it. Do we choose to limit the flow of knowledge that may assist others. It is a choice. These rigs were built to last decades and will with the help and assistance of those who freely pass along their how to knowledge. 

Subject: Re: [Safarifriends] Re: Velvet Ride    I have also replaced the torsilastic shackles with LARGE hand tools (no air tools).  But, this is not something that is for anyone not VERY mechanic-savvy..  I am reluctant to post a "blow by blow", as you are dealing with a HEAVY vehicle and lots of forces.
'