Shop Attitude/Wrenching Experience

Staging area for content imported from the old Yahoo group. This forum is LOCKED. Moderators may edit content and relocate to other forums as appropriate.
Slim Chestnut

Shop Attitude/Wrenching Experience

Post by Slim Chestnut »

'In some communities there are good mechanics that hire their skills out as "Personal Mechanics". Sometimes they advertise. They will assess the problem with you and go to the parts store and walk you through the repair or service you need. You pay them a good amount and you learn how to do it the next time yourself!

My brother and I both befriended the mechanics at the regional Greyhound and Trailways bus terminal and they gradually took us into their confidence. We would buy them lunch occasionally and learned a lot! Of course we learned about older pre-computerized engines but the concepts are still there.

This is much more common in the more casual regions like down South. Forget it in a union shop or big dealership. Look for a farm or ranch garage or a small town truck shop. Of course in High school where we grew up all boys had to take Vocational shop for at least one semester. The skills I learned there are the basis of how I earn my living today.

If you can find a mechanic that has serviced your particular engine in farm machinery or some other application then he will be much more likely to help and encourage you. The 6BT 8.3 Cummins I have was widely used in combines, harvesters similar equipment. Get to know the guys at your local
INDEPENDENT diesel shop.

When I was about 7 years old my stepfather, a diesel and later helicopter mechanic used to work on cars on the weekend for extra cash. One day he was looking down and saw the top of my head barely even with the fender on the Oldsmobile he was wrenching on.

He had the hood off so he reached down, picked me up, sat me on top of the engine and handed me a wrench and said, "Take off the carburetor Bud". Of course he showed me which nuts to turn and how and I did it!

From that day on I have done 99% of my own service and repairs and it was life changing. It is a true gift when someone passes that kind of knowledge on to you. Do your child or grandchildren a favor. Buy them a bicycle and help them do the mechanical work themselves. Or if they are older then get them a beater car and some hand tools.

Slim

--
Got good friends and loving family? You are wealthy.
1993 Safari Continental 37, Cummings/Allison

'