Economy of Operation

Staging area for content imported from the old Yahoo group. This forum is LOCKED. Moderators may edit content and relocate to other forums as appropriate.
slim_chestnut

Economy of Operation

Post by slim_chestnut »

'We bought our 1993 Continental specifically because we researched rigs for 1.5 years and wanted the lowest feasible cost of operation and most reasonable entry price point for a comfortable rig for my height. Our total cost to operate is less than 1/4th of a friend's coach not even considering the initial buy in cost.

He is basically parked right now. Diesel is NOT going to get cheaper. His Curb weight is around 45,000. Mine is around 20,000. The Cummins is much quieter, cleaner and runs longer than the Detroit and many other diesels. We also intentionally avoided the computerized models which are less flexible on fuel. We also do not have problems with fiberglass sides.

While I realize a TREK with a GOOD diesel and in good condition is one of the most efficient setups fuelwise, 24-26 feet is not desirable for many of us and the loss of headroom with the majic bed for us tall Americans is not acceptable. I see folks in TREKS and other rigs pulling large, box trailers behind them for more "room". Seems counter productive but...

I have encouraged my Brother who is shorter to buy a trek and he is diesel savy and thinks the "underpowered" Isuzu setup will suffice so we will see. Or he is also looking to repower a Trek with a 5.9 Cummins or similar.

I regret that Oshkosh no longer makes a "civilian" or RV chassis and Freightliner has minimal support for the Oshkosh goods. But so far no chassis issues. We are happy with what we have without slideouts or extra, heavy, stuff bolted on all over the place. Our one luxury is the Splendide which is a remarkable washer/dryer. We would enjoy the larger basements on the newer models but have learned to live within our space.

If we were full-timing we might lust after slideouts but our primary requirements are specialized. We will use our rig to split our time between a place at the ocean [with no dwelling there but full hookups] and a small farm in the midstate about an hour and a half away. After I retire we implement that plan in full. Currently we make long trips across the US but are curtailing those trips this year. the rig is at our "place" near the coast. Happily far from the recent tornado strikes.

I think we may see diesel get to $7/gallons this year unless the dollar value rises dramatically. The Chinese are more than willing to pay more for fuel [using our Wal-Mart,Target,Kmart etc dollars] so we will have to pay more also unless we can drill our own abundant petroleum resources with fewer hassles.

So economy will become a popular subject.

we are easing back on the speed and staying between 55 and 65, usually around 60 and we get 12 mpg downhill and about 10 uphill. [heading down out of Colorado or climbing back]

We are also using synthetic engine oil which yields about .4 mpg improvement. We are also running the latest Tranny fluid in our World tranny. And we have a couple psi extra air in the tires but not too much. [refer to the Cummins economizing white paper for truckers I posted earlier this year].

We also buy everthing possible at or below wholesale. I have specifically been using a "******'s Repair" business name for all the parts I buy for years.

What economical things are you doing? I am specifically NOT referring to "Green" measures although they are OK.

Slim'