Re: Oil change, dry cranking etc.

Staging area for content imported from the old Yahoo group. This forum is LOCKED. Moderators may edit content and relocate to other forums as appropriate.
Slim Chestnut

Re: Oil change, dry cranking etc.

Post by Slim Chestnut »

'
>Slim, PLEASE provide the link where it says CAT requires a MANDATORY oil change every 3-5K miles.<
Hi Jim, I never said oils should be changed every 3K. I was responding to another person's post. They mentioned 3K miules not me. 3K miles oil change is a waste of money. 10K is about right depending on dust, temperatures etc!! Cummins says max 15,000 miles
>Slim, PLEASE provide a link, where CAT says to start a engine and just let it run every 2 weeks.<
Do not know of such a link for CATS. I presently have a Cummins. But running an engine periodically is good for it. Nefer let one set for months if you can avoid it. Run it just long enough to verify all systems and charge a bit if needed.
>Slim, PLEASE define top Quality oil by brand and then define low
Quality oil by brand, and provide a link where this FACT is documented. (the oil required by CAT is a CJ-4 oil and regular Rotella meets this rating) (no need for synthetic) (can be bought @ Walmart or every truck stop in America)
http://www.shell.com/home/Framework?siteId=rotella-en&FC2=/rotella-en/html/iwgen/products/zzz_lhn.html&FC3=/rotella-en/html/iwgen/products/triple_protection_detail.html<

Rotella is fine. Cummins also requires oil rated for heavy diesel service. Rotella is. What makes you think i have a problem with less expensive oil??? Please note that the Recommendation for synthetic relates to fuel economy
and engine output. The synthetic oil can provide slight but measurable increases in mpg and if you wish you can go a bit longer on oil changes. Cummins strongly recommends an oil change annually whether you drive the rig or not!

----------------------------------------------------------------

Jim, I do not mind being sniped at for being an engineer. Everyone likes to cut someone down. You should know that this engineer has had grease under his nails since a child and it is my opinion that anyone called an engineer needs lots of hands on experience not just theory.. I am a master mechanic and proud of it. I weld. I paint. I do carpentry. I wire houses and repair whatever device needs my attention if I have the tools and the means. If any of that history offends you then P-mail me please! Go to my profile and send me a message.

Sincerely,

Slim

--
Got good friends and loving family? You are wealthy.
1993 Safari Continental 37, Cummings/Allison

'