Web Browser tips

Staging area for content imported from the old Yahoo group. This forum is LOCKED. Moderators may edit content and relocate to other forums as appropriate.
Slim Chestnut

Web Browser tips

Post by Slim Chestnut »

'You can have your choice of several search engines with either Safari or Firefox browsers. Abd eve with Windows. I use both MAcs and PCs in my work so I do not think either is "better", just different and one platform is better for some things and the other for othere things!

With Google in the news year after year for the amount of data they are keeping on their users I began using Ixquick several years ago and have been very pleased Ix does not keep or store your preferences and data on sites you visit and they will NOT sell information about your habits or provide it to the government! It is their basic philosophy.

To get Ixquick just go to ixquick.com and there is an option to add ixquick to your search engine toolbar. From then on you can choose either of your engines to search by clicking t he little arrow in the search window.

After you begin using it  you will also receive much less intrusive spam and pop up ads but there will still be some.

I have found Ixquick to be just as through as Google.

For even more diversity with searching you can install a foreign language centric version of some search tools which will find you many hits you would otherwise never see when using standard Google. I love America but we do not have the ONLY way to do or see things. I use Google French and Google German quite a bit, and even Google UK.

For Firefox, or Safari click the little down arrow in your search box and select manage search engines.

try it.

For those using Explorer, Microsoft will resist your trying to use Bing for your searches but if you go to the Ixquick page you can still add it without their interference.

I grew very tired of BING popping up constantly and found a FAQ on editing the script for Mozilla to stop BING from trying to capture all my searches. Works great!

Slim
Got good friends and loving family? You are wealthy.
1993 Safari Continental 37, Cummings/Allison

'